• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best team since Waugh/ Ponting’s Australia?

Best team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xix2565

International Debutant
How would Pakistan have done in India? Obviously one of the biggest advantages for India’s great home record are that other teams that should be suited to their conditions kinda suck
Does that not apply to any great side with a great home record? Pakistan nowadays is a big question that's due to external matters but it isn't like every team back in the past were all that good either when playing against the best of their time. There's also a glaring ignorance of how analysis has helped bowlers so much nowadays that sides back in the past wouldn't necessarily have had that has helped Indian bowlers now immensely.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Does that not apply to any great side with a great home record? Pakistan nowadays is a big question that's due to external matters but it isn't like every team back in the past were all that good either when playing against the best of their time. There's also a glaring ignorance of how analysis has helped bowlers so much nowadays that sides back in the past wouldn't necessarily have had that has helped Indian bowlers now immensely.
Yeah mighty Bangladesh haven’t knocked over anyone lately - true

that’s a ridiculous point though. Analysis goes both ways and would have assisted batsmen too

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SA under Smith never folded so pathetically as India did in NZ, or lose 4 tests in a series. They were a tougher team to beat. Even when Australia beat them at home, they put up a fight.

Under Kohli, the team is good for bullying at home and beating weakened sides away. They are a really good side but with glaring weaknesses.

Indian team is the best ever because nationalist Indian posters come out of the woodwork and vote in record numbers lol

Yay a troll to counter two trolls. Or maybe the two trolls showed up to counter these two trolls. Whatever.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Yeah mighty Bangladesh haven’t knocked over anyone lately - true

that’s a ridiculous point though. Analysis goes both ways and would have assisted batsmen too
Analysis helps bowlers a lot more though? Batsmen can only react and predict bowling, bowlers can change approaches, use new types of deliveries (like the wobble seam) and target one specific weakness repeatedly (like Kohli's fishing expeditions or Smith getting choked out of his strike rotation). Bowlers are kings here when it comes to modern day analysis's impact on the game.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I guess thats my point. India is a more beatable team if you factor in all conditions.
Ok, serious question. Which team are you considering? Because pre 2020 our middle order was not weak. But we lost away games and series.

Post 2020 our middle order is weak, which as you point out is a huge weakness. But we haven’t lost a series (not a one off test).

Xix2565

International Debutant
You know fully well these two will disappear then anyways. But unfortunately, cant say the same about the other two trolls in this thread.
Why would I disappear? It's not like I can't recognise when India play terribly or that I haven't been calling for the GMOI to get replaced as soon as possible by better players. Current India (Kohli's India) are volatile away from home in an era where bowling has ruled over batting with bowling friendly conditions everywhere, where we can roll England at Lord's on Day 5 and promptly **** the bed with 78 in the 1st innings at Headingley to lose by an innings only to go on to win at the Oval off the back of Lord Thakur and co.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Analysis helps bowlers a lot more though? Batsmen can only react and predict bowling, bowlers can change approaches, use new types of deliveries (like the wobble seam) and target one specific weakness repeatedly (like Kohli's fishing expeditions or Smith getting choked out of his strike rotation). Bowlers are kings here when it comes to modern day analysis's impact on the game.
I don’t really agree at all tbh. Analysis is integral to identifying technical deficiencies and so forth for batsmen too

Xix2565

International Debutant
I don’t really agree at all tbh. Analysis is integral to identifying technical deficiencies and so forth for batsmen too
It can only help so much though, especially when people are making pitches favourable for bowling. Batting is ultimately reactive, you don't have much agency when someone bowls at you. We just saw how India could put a limit on Australia's runs in the 2020-21 BG series thanks to good bowling plans and execution. If that doesn't speak to how bowling has been more affected by analysis then I don't know what will. It wasn't like past great Indian batting lineups won/performed well with an inferior bowling attack.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Useless hypothetical discussions.

SA was the best team overall post 2008-2014.
India was also good from 2007-10 and England were too from 2010-12. But overall SA were more or less the best team from 2008-14.

And since 2016, India has been the best team overall. NZ and Aus have had their moments as well but India has been more or less the best team since 16.

SA had a great away record but only a decent home record. India has a perfect home record and very good away record and have achieved more, even though -on paper- may not be as strong as that SA side was.

Seriously there's nothing more to add outside of this. These are the only facts. Rest is all hypothetical bull**** and means nothing.

Last edited:

Chrish

International Debutant
Yeah I have no issue with naming Smith’s side as the best one. They went a decade without loosing an away series; something that not even Waugh’s Aussie team can claim.

I voted for India because their home record is hard to top. Sa team lost twice at home to Aus and Eng each iirc.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Why would I disappear? It's not like I can't recognise when India play terribly or that I haven't been calling for the GMOI to get replaced as soon as possible by better players. Current India (Kohli's India) are volatile away from home in an era where bowling has ruled over batting with bowling friendly conditions everywhere, where we can roll England at Lord's on Day 5 and promptly **** the bed with 78 in the 1st innings at Headingley to lose by an innings only to go on to win at the Oval off the back of Lord Thakur and co.
Tbf I meant kilowatt and paullennon when I said two.

And hurting tjb s feelings is always a good thing.?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf I meant kilowatt and paullennon when I said two.

And hurting tjb s feelings is always a good thing.?
Bro is your obsession with me ever going to end? Nothing I've said in this thread should be controversial or upsetting to you. Whatever issues you have you need to get over it

sunilz

International Regular
This thread is going to be even funnier when India's next poor overseas defeat happens.
This is true.
But say hypothetically even if we win current SA series , we would still be inferior to random side from 40 s , 50s who were not properly tested even in Asia.

Basically according to these CW trolls IND should dominate in SENA conditions. But these random 40s/50s sides are automatically better without even being tested in Asia .

A team with Bradman is automatically better. But a team with Smith and Cummins can't win even in Bangladesh ?

sunilz

International Regular
Mitchell Johnson the Eng/SA destroyer was humiliated in UAE in 2014 just 6 months afterwards ?

I bet had Johnson played in 40s/50s , these CW posters would be telling us , how he would have smashed every Asian side .

Status
Not open for further replies.