• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best spinner other than Warne & Murali

Best spinner apart from Warne & Murali

• Kumble

Votes: 45 36.6%
  • Harbajan

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Kaneria

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Saqlain

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • Macgill

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Vettori

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Giles

Votes: 9 7.3%

• Total voters

cricket player

International Debutant
vic_orthdox said:
His batting average is probably lower than most of the mentioned bowlers' bowling average...
Averages doesnt show anything,

Do you know how good his average is againts australia?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
I remember before the famous 2001 series, when it was announced that Kumble was injured and would miss the series, John Wright said "I'd rather Sachin be out than Kumble" to the press. High praise, indeed.
I think thats cus he felt at the time India had no back up in terms of quailty spin bowlers, whereas they had a few good batsmen coming through. But on the topic i would do for MacGill over Kumble, but thats just my personal opinion. I reckon if MacGill played as many games as Kumble he would have taken more wickets.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
I think thats cus he felt at the time India had no back up in terms of quailty spin bowlers, whereas they had a few good batsmen coming through.
I know, but it's still darn high praise, and reiterates his importance to the Indian side.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
I reckon if MacGill played as many games as Kumble he would have taken more wickets.
I know it's all hypotheticals, but personally I disagree. Kumble is so very well suited to the conditions in which he bowls in, and MacGill not so much at all the grounds in Australia. I think that a major reason why MacGill has been as successful as what he has been in his fragmented career is the shock value he provides when he comes in to a series. When he plays a few games in a row (read Aus vs Eng 02/03, Aus vs Ind 03/04) his figures tend to get progressively worse.

He's still a fantastic bowler, mind you. But in general, Kumble plays half of his matches on wickets that really suit him - which isn't coincidence, he's shaped himself that way - while MacGill, while still bowling well, wouldn't have the chance to exploit suitable conditions as often as Kumble.

EDIT: Whoopsy daisy. Mis-interpreted the statement a bit. I guess it is quite possible that he'd have more wickets if he'd played as many games, yeah. I'd be suprised if MacGill's wicket to match ration wouldn't exceed Kumble's, but I think that the above still stands a fair bit.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kumble by virtue of consistency, longevity and 400 test wickets.

However, MacGill has been unfortunate to play in the same country as Warne.

If he were English, he'd probably be celebrating his 100th cap by now.

C_C

International Captain
McGill i doubt would've been very successful against teams that know how to play spin ( unlike England), for the simple reason that he is too erratic.
He's been utterly pasted by any team that knows how to combat spin bowling.

He is/was a decent spinner but nothing more, really.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
McGill i doubt would've been very successful against teams that know how to play spin ( unlike England), for the simple reason that he is too erratic.
He's been utterly pasted by any team that knows how to combat spin bowling.

He is/was a decent spinner but nothing more, really.
well with the exception of the asian countries i would think he could have successful againts all the other major test nations...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
His batting average is probably lower than most of the mentioned bowlers' bowling average...
cricket player said:
HAHA

I dont think he was an spinner if was he wasnt 3d best in the world.

You seem to be in a zimbabwean mood
Not enough rugby fans or observers of British politics here, I see...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Voltman said:
Ah, I'm guessing a man by the name of Alistair Campbell was the spin-doctor guy for the Lions on their trip to NZ?

C_C

International Captain
aussie said:
well with the exception of the asian countries i would think he could have successful againts all the other major test nations...

Apart from England, WI, RSA,ZIM and BD, i wouldnt count on him on being very successful.
Ayways, comparing McGill to Kumble is like comparing Thorpe to Lara....the latter is simply way way beyond the former.
Kumble's comparisons are with Murali and Warney. Not with McGill.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Voltman said:
Don't worry, mate, I got it...and then Jack and Bob sewed the seeds of doubt :wacko:

...:blowup:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:
Apart from England, WI, RSA,ZIM and BD, i wouldnt count on him on being very successful.
Ayways, comparing McGill to Kumble is like comparing Thorpe to Lara....the latter is simply way way beyond the former.
Kumble's comparisons are with Murali and Warney. Not with McGill.
Different types of bowlers.

MacGill can bowl absolute tripe interspersed with unplayable deliveries whilst Kumble is more consistent and generally very economical.

Both are confidence bowlers.

I have seen both, especially MacGill, suddenly begin to bowl brilliantly after the fall of a wicket.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Warne said:
What a relief !!

For this one thread we forgive all your earlier indiscretions.

Kidding mate. :)

Kumble without doubt. Harbhajan doesnt look like he will ever catch up since he decided three years ago he knew everything and doesnt need to improve. :p

Saqlain's golden period didnt last and none of the others is even close. (My personal humble, possibly all wrong and biased opinion please) :sleep: