• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best six hitters

iamdavid

International Debutant
Biggest six Ive ever seen was by Stuart Law in 2000-01.
It was against the Warriors , one of the medium pacers (cant remember if it was Harvey , Cary or someone else) floated one up & he had a go & put it over mid wicket , clearing the grand stand (the one with the dressing rooms in it) pretty easily & disappearing down the street.

thierry henry

International Coach
But of his time at the crease, he showed that he is very capable of hitting sixes. Therefore to say that Cairns is the best six hitter in Test history would be impossible to support and rather silly.
No he didn't, because he only hit 25 (Trueman that is). That means little in comparison to 72. Are you trying to tell me that Michael Holding is the greatest six hitter in test history? THAT would be rather silly, as opposed to saying Chris Cairns is, when he's hit the second most sixes ever, and has hit them with far greater frequency than anyone else in the top 10. Are you saying that if someone scored 30 career runs by hitting 5 sixes, that they would be the greatest six hitter ever?

Cactus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
i wasn't bothered to read all 17 pages to see if this Lance Klusener wasn't already mentioned, (which i highly doubt) but i'm just adding my 2 cents worth.

and thiery henry, i'm guessing you support Arsenal......you are a smart bean!!:D
i personally quite like frederik ljunberg! (not that this has anything to do with cricket)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Cactus said:
iand thiery henry, i'm guessing you support Arsenal......you are a smart bean!!:D
i personally quite like frederik ljunberg! (not that this has anything to do with cricket)
No, he isn't.

Who in their right mind would want to support ****nal??:P

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
thierry henry said:
No he didn't, because he only hit 25 (Trueman that is). That means little in comparison to 72. Are you trying to tell me that Michael Holding is the greatest six hitter in test history? THAT would be rather silly, as opposed to saying Chris Cairns is, when he's hit the second most sixes ever, and has hit them with far greater frequency than anyone else in the top 10. Are you saying that if someone scored 30 career runs by hitting 5 sixes, that they would be the greatest six hitter ever?
I'm saying that the ability to stay at the crease has no relation to six-hitting ability and therefore such stats are inconclusive. If there were some means to gauge whereby the batsman could not be dismissed, then you could make such a claim as Cairns as the best, but until that day comes (when the ICC rules that batsmen can't be dismissed), you can't.

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm saying that the ability to stay at the crease has no relation to six-hitting ability and therefore such stats are inconclusive. If there were some means to gauge whereby the batsman could not be dismissed, then you could make such a claim as Cairns as the best, but until that day comes (when the ICC rules that batsmen can't be dismissed), you can't.
hahaha. You've got to be kidding. Obviously this thread is about six-hitting in the context of international cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Looking at that list, I cannot see an obvious choice - the one I might look at is Flintoff, as he still has his best years in front of him (we hope!)

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
thierry henry said:
And even ignoring that, it's also perfectly clear that if a batsman can't stay at the crease long enough to hit a large number of sixes, then nobody can really comment on said batsman's six hitting ability, as the batsman simply hasn't hit the sixes.
say if a batsmen just hits a six every innings then is out.That means that by the time he has played his 50th test,he has hit 100 sixes,that is if he bats every time.So a batsmen really doesn't have to stay in long to hit alot of sixes in his career.

Also how big the six is comes into account.

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
The current record for sixes in test cricket is what, 80-odd? Half that and make that the cut-off point for greatest 6 hitter in test cricket (i.e. must have hit 40 sixes to qualify).
Which brings the list to

84 8540 IVA Richards West Indies
72 2864 CL Cairns New Zealand
70 7515 CH Lloyd West Indies
67 5200 IT Botham England
67 7558 CG Greenidge West Indies
63 5762 CL Hooper West Indies
61 5248 N Kapil Dev India
61 9157 BC Lara West Indies
57 4488 ML Hayden Australia
57 2898 Wasim Akram Pakistan
55 3807 Imran Khan Pakistan
51 2909 CD McMillan New Zealand
48 6361 PA de Silva Sri Lanka
48 8832 Javed Miandad Pakistan
47 3169 AC Gilchrist Australia
41 4509 SC Ganguly India
41 5258 ST Jayasuriya Sri Lanka
41 8029 ME Waugh Australia
40 6680 Inzamam-ul-Haq Pakistan
40 5105 A Ranatunga Sri Lanka

Surely the person with the highest 6:runs ratio would be the most accomplished at hitting sixes? That person is CL Cairns. There's no disputing the others weren't great six hitters, just not the greatest.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
sorry to dig this up.

But after Cairns performance (158),which had 6 good sixes,it is ovbious he is the best six hitter in the world.Possibly,ever.