• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best six hitters

thierry henry

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Exactly. How can someone be a better six hitter because they know how to occupy the crease better?
Because (get this) staying at the crease enables them to hit MORE SIXES.

Eclipse

International Debutant
BlackCap_Fan said:
astle hit 11 sixes in his 222.
True but in Astels innings there were four sixes that would not have been sixes at the Gabba and there were probably 3-4 shots hit by Hayden that would have been sixes on souch a small ground.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
thierry henry said:
Because (get this) staying at the crease enables them to hit MORE SIXES.
Yes, but the point was that by being able to stay in he's showing a defensive technique, and that is not conducive to six-hitting (unless the ground is very very small indeed)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Actually the biggest six I have ever seen was John Dakin.
Yes, he is a very capable six hitter.

Similar to Trueman, he is not well known for it, as he doesn't stay at the crease too long.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
thierry henry said:
Yes Hayden hit 11 sixes, but how many runs did he score?

If Cairns ever scored 380, he'd have hit 30 sixes:lol:
You are making a very similar assumption here to Liam's assumption, yet you are saying his is pointless?

Craig

World Traveller
Eclipse said:
True but in Astels innings there were four sixes that would not have been sixes at the Gabba and there were probably 3-4 shots hit by Hayden that would have been sixes on souch a small ground.
The advantages and disadvantages of playing on a rugby ground and a ground that play's AFL on it.

pakistan1

Cricket Spectator
do any of you people remeber the natwest sereis challeng swhich involved pakistan vs england at lords and might i say that he was the only player ever to hit the top tier of lords and that was azhar mahmood.Believe me he hit it over 100 yards.
Which to me says he is the biggest six hiter

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
One of Ponting's sixes yesterday vs. SL apparently went 100 metres (which, I think, is more than 100 yards).

Eclipse

International Debutant
Adamc said:
One of Ponting's sixes yesterday vs. SL apparently went 100 metres (which, I think, is more than 100 yards).
yep but I have seen him hit much bigger sixes than that over the last 2 years.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
pakistan1 said:
do any of you people remeber the natwest sereis challeng swhich involved pakistan vs england at lords and might i say that he was the only player ever to hit the top tier of lords and that was azhar mahmood.Believe me he hit it over 100 yards.
Which to me says he is the biggest six hiter

that couldn't POSSIBLY be a biased statement there,pakistan1?

That was big,but just because he gets one big one doesn't mean he is the biggest six hitter in the world.

Cairns all the way from me,he is the best six hitter in the world.They are big,and hes them like crazy.

Astles good too,but nothing like cairns.Astle's a 4 hitter,with the odd six or 2.or 3.or 4.

Eclipse

International Debutant
As far as distance goes I think Cairns is the best followed by Symonds.

You know if they middle a six attempt it's got every chance of going out of the stadium.

Overall the player who hit's the highest % of sixes per balls faceed would have to be Afridi.

thierry henry

International Coach
That has nothing to do with six-hitting ability.
OBVIOUSLY it does. Evidently players like Trueman and Holding were very keen on hitting over the top, and also had comparatively low averages, hence it would be fair to assume their attempts to hit big got them out a lot of the time. And if you try to hit a six and get out, that's not good six-hitting.

thierry henry

International Coach
And even ignoring that, it's also perfectly clear that if a batsman can't stay at the crease long enough to hit a large number of sixes, then nobody can really comment on said batsman's six hitting ability, as the batsman simply hasn't hit the sixes.

Craig

World Traveller
I remember seeing Chris Cairns hitting Darren Lehmann for six at the 'Gabba in the Australia 'A' v NZ in 2002 before the VB Series began.

It was a full toss and Cairns caught on to hit and it over the Brisbane Lions club rooms. If not it must of gone onto the roof.

I was there and I wasnt too far where the six went over the club rooms.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
thierry henry said:
OBVIOUSLY it does. Evidently players like Trueman and Holding were very keen on hitting over the top, and also had comparatively low averages, hence it would be fair to assume their attempts to hit big got them out a lot of the time. And if you try to hit a six and get out, that's not good six-hitting.
That's a ridiculous assumption. Just because someone is a big-hitter doesn't mean he/she gets out to big shots.

Staying at the crease has absolutely nothing to do with someone's ability to hit sixes.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
thierry henry said:
And even ignoring that, it's also perfectly clear that if a batsman can't stay at the crease long enough to hit a large number of sixes, then nobody can really comment on said batsman's six hitting ability, as the batsman simply hasn't hit the sixes.
But of his time at the crease, he showed that he is very capable of hitting sixes. Therefore to say that Cairns is the best six hitter in Test history would be impossible to support and rather silly.