• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best players who were not given enough chances by the management

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No the point is he played short bowling perfectly well in ODIs. It's not like they bowled 1 bouncer an over, he struggled with it, but it was ok because there were 5 other balls that he made it up on. He had a fantastic pull shot and never had an issue with short bowling at that level.
But also, almost his entiire career was when anything above shoulder high was a no-ball. It was literally the reason the put your front foot down and smack it became the thing of ODI openers and finishers world over.

Kirkut

International Regular
Something tells me that Rory Burns can evolve into a top batsman if the management maintains faith in him.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Had a very ugly technique, but a total gun batsman to bash absolutely mediocre bowling on flat roads in limited overs cricket.
Nah, some of his best knocks were against quality bowlers. Was a nightmare for Vettori, Muralitharan, Steyn, etc. (he just hit Muralitharan for a 4 and a 6 in the legends league game while I am typing this :laugh:).

Still can't forget that 105 off 70 odd balls against SA in SA. The pitches in that series were difficult and all our batters performed very poorly in the 5-match series except Yusuf. Also scored a match-winning 50 in that series(played only 3 out of 5 games).

The issue with Yusuf was that he was never a number 7 batter in ODIs. His best knocks came when he was sent in early or had to come early due to top order collapses. Even in the IPL, he only did well when he had enough time to settle in.

Last edited:

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Something tells me that Rory Burns can evolve into a top batsman if the management maintains faith in him.
Chance has gone, I'd guess. 32 now and had an OK season, nothing more. I know we've not solved the opening conundrum but I'd be surprised if he came back.

Kirkut

International Regular
Nah, some of his best knocks were against quality bowlers. Was a nightmare for Vettori, Muralitharan, Steyn, etc. (he just hit Muralitharan for a 4 and a 6 in the legends league game while I am typing this :laugh:).

Still can't forget that 105 off 70 odd balls against SA in SA. The pitches in that series were difficult and all our batters performed very poorly in the 5-match series except Yusuf. Also scored a match-winning 50 in that series(played only 3 out of 5 games).

The issue with Yusuf was that he was never a number 7 batter in ODIs. His best knocks came when he was sent in early or had to come early due to top order collapses. Even in the IPL, he only did well when he had enough time to settle in.
That 100 in South Africa was on a typical subcontinent type pitch, albeit it was fun to watch Steyn and Morkel getting hit for fours but Tsotsobe got the maximum punishment. On a good day, he tonked mediocre bowling in limited overs cricket which was hard to match for Sehwag and Yuvraj Singh.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd put him 3rd equal with SRT

This would be my top 10 (oops 11). Babar and Bairstow would be in there somewhere, but let them play a bit longer before that.

Viv
ABDV
Sachin/Bevan
Kohli
Ponting
Dhoni
Gilchrist
Abbas
Lara
Greenidge
Good list except Greenidge isn't top 10 of AT. Good average but a SR of 64 even for the era he played in (75-91) was only 'good to very-good' and not 'excellent'.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone else quietly notice van der Dussen averages 69 at a SR of 90 after 38 ODIs?

Chrish

International Debutant
Odi cricket died once they came up with free hit nonsense. They wanted to cater to folks with boundary fetish..