• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best players who were not given enough chances by the management

Jayro

U19 12th Man
Who is the best player who missed out international cricket , I believe Michael Bevan is one of them,if he was given enough chances could have had a batting average of around 50 at test arena also.

Gob

International Coach
He would have gotten more chances now but back then he was fighting for a place with the likes of Ponting, Waughs, Martyn, Lehmann and later Hussey, Clarke etc. Would be an ideal number 5 now

Socerer 01

International Captain
Some of those Indian cricketers post world war 2 had some good games and then promptly disappeared from the international scene with no real reason

Chrish

International Debutant
VVS was hard done by selection. Wasn’t given consistent run for first few years iirc and was forced to open; spot he never wanted.

Chrish

International Debutant
Who is the best player who missed out international cricket , I believe Michael Bevan is one of them,if he was given enough chances could have had a batting average of around 50 at test arena also.
Beven had a weakness against short ball..

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bevan is a good one. If you think of the greatest 30 ODI batsmen ever, Bevan is the one who played the least amount of tests.

And he was probably in the top 10 of that 30 too.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, usman and Maxwell come to mind straight away. Usman not as hard done by as Maxy, but he should have been our consistent opener since that 4th innings hundred in PAK. Maxwell's treatment was criminal as it gets, especially with the amount of chances hacks like m marsh got.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
No

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Bevan is a good one. If you think of the greatest 30 ODI batsmen ever, Bevan is the one who played the least amount of tests.

And he was probably in the top 10 of that 30 too.
I'd put him 3rd equal with SRT

This would be my top 10 (oops 11). Babar and Bairstow would be in there somewhere, but let them play a bit longer before that.

Viv
ABDV
Sachin/Bevan
Kohli
Ponting
Dhoni
Gilchrist
Abbas
Lara
Greenidge

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
- Never had any issue playing it in ODI cricket
- Dominated Aus domestic cricket at the time they had some of the bounciest, fastest pitches, and quickest bowlers.
- When he did play Tests he averaged 55 against the WI, the team most likely to get you out with short-pitched bowling

I think he got dismissed a couple times in a row in Tests which is where it came from but it was never a legitimate thing, just got parroted by NPCs to try and explain away him not getting selected

Chrish

International Debutant
- Never had any issue playing it in ODI cricket
- Dominated Aus domestic cricket at the time they had some of the bounciest, fastest pitches, and quickest bowlers.
- When he did play Tests he averaged 55 against the WI, the team most likely to get you out with short-pitched bowling

I think he got dismissed a couple times in a row in Tests which is where it came from but it was never a legitimate thing, just got parroted by NPCs to try and explain away him not getting selected
Fair point except ODI. Iirc two bouncers per overs weren’t allowed during his odi career.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair point except ODI. Iirc two bouncers per overs weren’t allowed during his odi career.
No the point is he played short bowling perfectly well in ODIs. It's not like they bowled 1 bouncer an over, he struggled with it, but it was ok because there were 5 other balls that he made it up on. He had a fantastic pull shot and never had an issue with short bowling at that level.