• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best New Zealand line-up?

Craig

World Traveller
Nnanden said:
sorry can u please make ur first sentence make sense?? thanks.
Sure.

What I was saying, of course they will be missed, but if they were available for any other side, they would be missed IMO.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr. P said:
Bichel could be a very capable bat if he focused completely on that. Its not fair to make judgements based on his ability, which is very good anyway.
Of course Mr P - he's Australian isn't he, so that automatically makes him better than anyone of any other nation, yet when that reasoning is used to suggest that it's easy to captain or coach a side that is so much better than anyone else, you immediately dispute it!

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Tim said:
Parore had talent..Su'a did not & Heath Davis was extremely raw much like Nantie Hayward.

There's no doubt that Taylor & Ryder are probably better than all 3 combined.
Heath Davis just had major problems with rhythm. All those no-balls completely destroyed his confidence. There was a period around the 96-97 England tour that he had that all sorted out and looked a really good player. Unfortunately the no-balling came back and that was the end of that.

I remember watching when Su'a first joined the NZ side and thought then that he was quite impressive, good left arm swing bowling and more than handy batting. He wasn't persisted with because he apparently had an appallingly bad attitude - making racist remarks towards his white teammates. Kind of relevant to another thread in this forum.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
He wasn't persisted with because he apparently had an appallingly bad attitude - making racist remarks towards his white teammates. Kind of relevant to another thread in this forum.
shocking(because he was such a promising player) but deserved not being selected.. We cant afford to have 1 player ruin it for 10 others..

Last edited:

Kent

State 12th Man
Mingster said:
In county cricket....a scene where even Bichel makes scoring 100s easy....
Yet it's a scene where Butler is being consistently dealt to, which is disappointing.

Therein lies a dilemma for Bracewell and co. - keep faith with the fragile pop-gunners, or wear the consequences of giving someone like Butler a consistent run in our test side.

Butler still has potential, but his recent county figures alone suggest there'll be plenty of pain ahead before he develops into a genuine spearhead. How Bracewell's public image would cope with someone like Habibul Bashar smacking us around is anyone's guess, even if it's in the name of rebuilding.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed. Bracewell will be quietly thinking that a poor series against Bangladesh in the tests could put another nail in his coffin.
Would he want to risk Butler with his current form for Kent..or will Butler turn the corner in a few months time?

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Really speaking thought tim , i thought butler would be a bright prospect for Nz..
but everytime he gets a chance he doesnt perform to the best and i think our comms overplay him a lot aswell..
I really think we should be looking to go for someone young and promising and work with them as our future..Someone who is Fit for sure..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well that promising quick is Butler...but at the moment he still looks as raw as he was almost 3 years ago when he made his debut against England.

Maybe NZ should bite the bullet like England did with Harmison. Put up with the rubbish to begin with & then hopefully he'll come right.

Andre

International Regular
Craig said:
So they should just carry a player if he is not performaning on the basis of he has an 'x-factor' and he could do it 'on his day'.

So if Australia was in a similar position would you advocate then doing it?
Erm, yes. See Andrew Symonds for reference...

Andre

International Regular
Mingster said:
Adams has played numerous ODIs since that Test debut. Go back to the summer where he was flogged by Pakistan. Bowling leg-stump waist high fulltosses at the death is not ideal to convincing selectors you deserve another Test match.
ODIs and Tests are 2 differant things...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree. Tests & ODI's should be treated differently.
For example if Adams took a 5 for in his last test, then played an ODI series & got flogged..he should still be a starter for the next test match.
Mark Richardson played poorly in ODI's but that hasn't stopped him from becoming a world class test opener.

Loony BoB

International Captain
God knows I'm a big Andre Adams fan, and I believe that he deserves a spot just like Cairns and Parore deserved a spot. However, people had to work to get them to clean up their act. Why can't we do that with Adams? He says he's grown up and matured, and I'm sure county cricket will help him with this. We just have to wait and see how things go. He's making the effort. Is NZC?

Craig

World Traveller
Andre said:
Erm, yes. See Andrew Symonds for reference...
I don't like picking players on 'potential' and on the basis that they may have a good day out of how many?

I want guys who can deliever day in, day out.

Loony BoB

International Captain
From what I've seen lately, Andre Adams is just as consistent as any of our bowlers at the moment. If you blame injury, then they shouldn't have been picked, and then again it comes down to why not Adams?

EDIT: And I wouldn't exactly say the Aussies have a bunch of fuddy duddy 80mph bowlers without the x-factor. If Symonds was in NZ, I'm confident he'd be selected. He's not selected in Aussie because they can afford to not select him.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
Craig said:
I don't like picking players on 'potential' and on the basis that they may have a good day out of how many?

I didn't this would be that hard to figure out.

You pick guys with potential, nuture them, and they become consistent performers.

See Symonds, Harmison and Hamish Marshall for recent examples.

Personally, I'll take a match winner over an average but consistent performer any day.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
If player's weren't picked on potential then no side would be able to field 11 players pretty soon!

Craig said:
Remind me of Symond's recent record again...