• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best New Zealand line-up?

Craig

World Traveller
I think management would show faith in him if he wasn't inconsistent in ODIs or show cause for him to be picked with results, not picked on 'potential and talent'.

Andre

International Regular
He played one Test, was a star and to this day has been discarded. That's not faith.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I believe that Adams is 1 of only 2 or 3 players in NZ at the moment who have the X-Factor. When nothing is going well, a player like this can suddenly take a stunning catch, take a wicket or blast 50 runs off 30 balls & turn a match.
Infact he did it in his 1st test when it looked as though England were going to battle for the draw..Adams came on & took 3 key wickets including Hussain & Flintoff (if im correct).

Andre

International Regular
Exactly Tim. That is why, IMO, a team like New Zealand simply cannot afford to overlook him, especially with a Test record suggesting they are crying out for a player like this.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I've just read that NZ are sending 2 of our quickest youth bowlers to Chennai to train with Dennis Lillee. They are Te Ahu Davis & Leighton Burtt.
Apparently they're both bowling in the mid 140's, but Academy coaches are confident they can bowl much faster yet as they get older.

NZC have assigned Shane Bond to mentor them.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Tests:

1) Richardson
2) Papps or How (Don't like having Flemming opening despite recent success)
3) Flemming
4) Styris
5) Astle
6) McCullum
7) Oram
8) Franklin
9) Vettori
10) Tuffy
11) Martin/ Adams (if he bowls consistently well in England)

14) Butler
15) Fulton

I'd like the second opening position should be filled by of Papps and How, depending on who makes the most runs at the start of the FC season. How would have to make considerably more to get ahead of Papps. I know you are all going to say Fulton's not ready too, but he's made a lot of runs on the last two FC seasons. Last season was simply a continuation. How long do you have to wait? And both How and Fulton can bowl a little.

ODIs:

1) Flemming
2) Astle
3) Marshall
4) Styris
5) Fulton
6) McCullum
7) Oram
8) Franklin
9) Vettori
10) Tuffy
11) Adams

12) Taylor
13) Butler

I'd rather see Adams get smacked around at the end of an innings than Mills, as he can take wickets. And yes I put Fulton in ahead of Taylor, as he could stop the rot better than Taylor.

While there are options in the batting I don't see many with the bowling in either side.

I await your criticism.

Kent

State 12th Man
From what I've read, the main problem Andre Adams has had is a fairly casual attitude

There's no doubt he has natural talent, but you could also argue he's cut from the same cloth as many of the players in the current WI side. I can understand why a team like the Black Caps wouldn't touch a player that potentially drags down their morale and discipline, so the ball is really in Andre's court.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
Franklin bats there domestically.

But is McCullum or Oram number 6's though?
err mccullum is good enough to bat anywhere in the order. out of all the batsman in the side he has the most potential.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I can tell you now that both Fulton & How are not of international bowling standard. Fleming used to bowl but once he started international's he flagged bowling..I think Fulton & How would do the same.

You could argue that Taylor could stop the rot as much as Fulton could in an ODI. Taylor is an extremely aggressive batsman..but he's not reckless or flukish. His batting in the State Shield final was outstanding..all his shots were just perfect genuine cricket shots & calculated lofts over the bowler.

It's also incredible to think that Jesse Ryder has the same ability. It's almost unheard of in NZ to have 2 extremely talented/aggressive batsmen coming through at the same time.

Thanks to the new pay structure in NZ cricket, cricket is snaring alot of players who would have chosen to play other sports had NZC not launched this new career path.

Kent

State 12th Man
Will Scarlet said:
I await your criticism.
Cairns dropped from the OD squad? Tuffey at 10 and Adams at 11? ;)

As soon as you start mentioning 'rot' in a NZ batting performance you may as well go down blazing IMO. We're a team with limited bowlers that bats down to about 10 after all. To me Taylor is an ideal fit for Bracewell's aggressive approach to an OD innings, and the most obvious challenger to McMillan's #5 spot.

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Test

Richardson
Papps
Fleming
Styris
McMillan
Astle
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Tuffey

ODI

Astle
Papps
Fleming
Marshall
Styris
Cairns
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Adams
Tuffey

I know these teams are conservative but I feel that every one of those players has proven themselves either repeatedly, or enough at this stage of their short careers. I do admit that's not really true of McMillan - but I just keep getting this feeling that he's a volcano waiting to go off. There's heaps of Aussie batsmen that didn't really blossom until they were 27-28, such as Hayden and Martyn.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Assuming everyone is fit.

Tests

Richardson
Fleming
Marshall
Astle
Styris
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Franklin
Adams
Bond

12th: Tuffey

ODIs

Astle
Fleming
Marshall
Styris
McMillan
Cairns
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Adams
Bond

12th: Harris/Papps

OR

Papps
Fleming
Astle
Marshall
Styris
Cairns
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Adams
Bond

12th: Harris/McMillan

Papps-McMillan is a tough choice for me in ODI's. Something else I might consider is the tactical 12th man - ie, using a brilliant fielder rather than the 12th best player, because once you come down to it that's what you more often need from a 12th man. If that was the case, I might have Vincent in for that position - although Harris and Macca are both brilliant fielders, to be fair.

Kent

State 12th Man
Hard Harry said:
I know these teams are conservative but I feel that every one of those players has proven themselves either repeatedly, or enough at this stage of their short careers.
I wouldn't call dropping the skipper from his ODI opening role conservative! IMO, the momentum he's giving us at the top has been a key factor in our winning streak.

anzac

International Debutant
it may seem contrary to me previous posts re Macca - but I'd include him in my Test squad for matches where the pitch is low & slow - he is a 'flat track' bully type who like to get that heavy bat of his under the ball - but I'd drop him from the squad as soon as there was any 'life' in the pitch.........I still have a sneaking suspicion that he could be a poor man's version of Sehwag if he'd just commit himself to playing hard at the ball........

secondly I'd play Vincent on anything but slow & low pitches (and NOT as Opener) - his average Away is twice his career average & has done well (given the team performances) even as Opener in AUS, WI, PAK & scored a ton in his last tour in IND..............

Sinclair is another in a similar position to both Macca & Vincent, but he only plays about 1 Test per season so it's hard to pick his preference - my bet is he is a flat track player but unlike Macca he likes the ball coming onto the bat........I also think his recent domestic season may indicate that he is a better player now than when he was dropped but he hasn't had a regular start at Test level to show if this is so...........above all else he has shown he has the application to build a BIG innings, and his strike rate improves the longer his innings goes........

thirdly I'd look at H Marshall in the middle order as another to provide a partnership building role...........

all 3 are not as aggressive as the current batsmen (Richardson aside), and I fell the batting needs this sort of balance b4 considering any newbies such as Fulton & Co - I'd be looking at them to come in for the other 'stroke' players such as Astle, Styris & Fleming.........

anzac

International Debutant
from a bowling perspective my squad would include - Tuffey, C Martin, Butler, Adams & Franklin as my seam attack, with Vettori & B Martin as the primary spin options - fingers crossed that the likes of Redmond, Sherlock, & someone like Thompson / Scott / Gillespie can provide support..........

again my playing team selections would be influenced by my 'horses for courses' approach - eg C Martin with the Kookaburra ball only........

anzac

International Debutant
so far as ODIs are concerned I'd keep Fleming opening, but I'd also like to see how an Astle / Papps opening combination would work, followed by Flem, Marshall, Styris.........

my only question re Papps is concerning his front press technique - along with his lack of height IMO this commits himself too much to the front foot for anything with pace & bounce...........in those circumstances I'd open with Astle & Fleming.............

as much as I admire Harry I think his days are numbered & he is a limited option for slow / low pitches..........I'd prefer to see someone like M Walker developed as I understand he is a genuine medium pace swing bowler who can bat as well & may be a better 'allrounder' option than Harry who has not contributed with the bat for some time..........

anzac

International Debutant
lastly IMO until some genuine world class players are developed / nurtured to potential, NZL must play to their strengths.........

primarily this is a world class fielding unit second to none IMO........the inclusion of players such as Vincent, Sinclair, Admas & Marshall can only enhance the overall quality & ability in this area..........

secondly we rely heavily in 'strangling' the opposition of runs - fielding plays a major role, but also accurate bowling to a game plan..........while we lack genuine 'strike' options we must select bowlers who are able to compliment this & work in partnerships...........Oram & Tuffey are keys for the likes of Franklin, C Martin, Butler & Adams - even a non wicket taking Vettori can provide this support..........

lastly IMO the batting is crying out for someone in the middle order to play as the lynch pin - to show the sort of dogged determination previously characterised by the likes of Jones, Greatbatch & Coney from yester year.........my biggest criticism of the batting is that we have gone too far the other way without any balance........