• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Innings by top batsmen?

bagapath

International Captain
189 not out, I was there for that one. The best Test innings I saw him play in the flesh (metaphorically speaking) was his 145 against England at Lords in 1980.
No kidding man!!! Must have been mind blowing.

I saw Venkatraghavan having a quite smoke in Madras Cricket Club last weekend. And it made my day. Watching Viv in full flow must be an unforgettable experience.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Inzi's Century against Bangladish.. i know it was against Bangladish but he single handedly won pakistan the match..

in ODI his 60 runs innings against india back in 05 when they were chasing over 300 runs..it was the 4th ODI of the series..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No, not unless one takes sadistic pleasure in watching a struggling sportsman operating at 70%.
I don't consider watching a sportsman struggle through an injury and play below his best and still summon the courage, the reserves, the stamina, the energy and most importantly, the talent to conjure up an almost match winning inning under reasonably trying circumstances against a good quality bowling line up......... Part of what makes Lara's 153* and Sachin's 155 in Chennai great are, for me, the fact that they were playing through injury and pain.. Neither was at more than 70% and could not play some of their most normal strokes and yet, they found a way to will themselves on to lead their team to an astonishing win in one case and an almost astonishing win in another and they did it with almost no help at all from other batsmen......

Precambrian

Banned
I don't consider watching a sportsman struggle through an injury and play below his best and still summon the courage, the reserves, the stamina, the energy and most importantly, the talent to conjure up an almost match winning inning under reasonably trying circumstances against a good quality bowling line up......... Part of what makes Lara's 153* and Sachin's 155 in Chennai great are, for me, the fact that they were playing through injury and pain.. Neither was at more than 70% and could not play some of their most normal strokes and yet, they found a way to will themselves on to lead their team to an astonishing win in one case and an almost astonishing win in another and they did it with almost no help at all from other batsmen......
I understand your point, but I preferred the 100s over the Chennai 100, simply because they showed Tendulkar in full flow, rather than a crippled one.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Some of the best from some of the ol boys..

Sobers - 254 vs Australia 70/71

G Pollock - 125 vs England 1965

G Chappell - 150 vs West Indies (WSC) 1978

Len Hutton - 156 vs Australia 1951 & 205 vs West Indies 1954

Neil Harvey - 92 not out vs England 1954