• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Indian Spinner

Best Indian Spinner of All Time

• Rustomji Jamshedji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vinoo Mankad

• Ghulam Ahmed

• Subhash Gupte

• Jasu Patel

• Erapalli Prasanna

• Srinivasraghavan Venkataraghavan

• Dilip Doshi

• Maninder Singh

• Harbhajan Singh

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
fwiw Ashwin’s record in SA also gets **** on too harshly

i noticed one of the SA fans here sayin that they had India tour in the more lucrative grounds which aren’t as spin friendly and looking at the data it bears fruit. Ashwin has played more times than SA’s main spinner in these series and has a much, much healthier record of 49 avg to 122 for Maharaj. both are **** but it should point to there being deeper issues for spin bowling conditions rather than “lol Ash so bad in SA"

stretch it out for spinners records since 2010 in the 3 grounds Ashwin has played in and the majority of spinners average over 40 with nearly all of them having an economy of over 3. there are a few exceptions like Harmer, Ajmal and Tahir but it’s not pretty reading. Ashwin doesn’t have a great record with wicket taking but his economy of 2.7 is only bested by Benn and Harris which shows that he has done his job of holding up one end when required

if we’re resorting to checklist analysis at least apply some context and relevant comparisons pls
Ashwin doesn't have anything in SA to claim a record on.

And why don't you use this spinners record analysis to see how much advantage Ashwin had at home prepped pitches based on foreign spinners reaping returns? Why does your analysis only work one way?

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Those 'lower lows' for Kumble in England were mostly in drawn games. The highs resulted in a drawn and won series. You seem to be going back on your own criteria you set for Ashwin in Australia who also averages 40 plus there but you upgraded his performance.

WI today faced by Ashwin is a nonentity, much worse than even the poor side Kumble faced. It's really SENA and SC that are the testing grounds and Kumble to me is clearly superior in the former.
I said Ashwin's Australia performance wasn't as bad as it might seem only on surface from the stats. That's it. He is no Ambrose in Australia, even Kumble is better thier. But you have to think, Ashwin's away average is 5 runs less than Kumble; at that point, you have to think whether Kumble really was better.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Ashwin doesn't have anything in SA to claim a record on.

And why don't you use this spinners record analysis to see how much advantage Ashwin had at home prepped pitches based on foreign spinners reaping returns?
i did it the last time you brought this up lol

subshakerz

International Coach
I said Ashwin's Australia performance wasn't as bad as it might seem only on surface from the stats. That's it. He is no Ambrose in Australia, even Kumble is better thier. But you have to think, Ashwin's away average is 5 runs less than Kumble; at that point, you have to think whether Kumble really was better.
I dunno bro, I don't care about average as much, for non ATG standards, if my bowler is going to be playing on mostly drawn flat tracks but can win me the important games.

To me 18 wicket/7 tests, zero win contributions in England where foreign spinners are known to win the odd game is an irrelevant performance by Ashwin.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Kumble has some smatterings of impact away moreso IMO than Ashwin.

Ashwin in India to me is like Philander in SA. Nerfed up by the conditions moreso than skill. It's bizarre to me how posters here ignore that when looking at his record.
I’d say Ashwin at home is better than Philander in SA, has managed an amazing WPM despite competition from Jadeja, strikes at under 50(which even Murali doesn’t in SL). A really good away series of Ashwin are 2021-22 Ind vs Aus(average of 28 is pretty good for a finger spin in Aus, especially when you tie the most important wicket in the opposition).

subshakerz

International Coach
I’d say Ashwin at home is better than Philander in SA, has managed an amazing WPM despite competition from Jadeja, strikes at under 50(which even Murali doesn’t in SL). A really good away series of Ashwin are 2021-22 Ind vs Aus(average of 28 is pretty good for a finger spin in Aus, especially when you tie the most important wicket in the opposition).
Ok but Kumble is still better in Australia, Eng and SA. Better away overall. We differ on how much we value Ashwin at home.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
At home definitely Ashwin.
Away probably Chandra.
On the current Indian wickets where Ash and Jadeja is on god mode, Kumble would have been a nightmare. Kumble always has plenty of pace on his deliveries, and he is in his absolute devilish best when bounce is up and down and when his faster bowls starts turning (one of the reasons he failed in SL. Slow consistent bounce). Exact types of surfaces India had been dishing in last few years. On these pitches you may not survive Ashwin and Jadeja, but at least you will see what the ball did off the pitch. With Kumble you wouldn't even know what happened.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
On the current Indian wickets where Ash and Jadeja is on god mode, Kumble would have been a nightmare. Kumble always has plenty of pace on his deliveries, and he is in his absolute devilish best when bounce is up and down and when his faster bowls starts turning (one of the reasons he failed in SL. Slow consistent bounce). Exact types of surfaces India had been dishing in last few years. On these pitches you may not survive Ashwin and Jadeja, but at least you will see what the ball did off the pitch. With Kumble you wouldn't even know what happened.
If its and buts were candies and nuts.

If you don’t think Ashwin is the greatest spinner India’s ever had you’re living in a very sad denial and I feel sorry for you.