• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Indian Spinner

Best Indian Spinner of All Time

• Rustomji Jamshedji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vinoo Mankad

• Ghulam Ahmed

• Subhash Gupte

• Jasu Patel

• Erapalli Prasanna

• Srinivasraghavan Venkataraghavan

• Dilip Doshi

• Maninder Singh

• Harbhajan Singh

• Total voters

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Ponting did have a decent couple of final two series in India but couldn't recover from damage in previous tours. So those tours don't matter, he is considered a flop.

Ashwin averages 42 in Australia. Even with your point it is somehow not representative, that still is Murali/Warne in India territory.

Point being we are pushing Ashwin in India as a success way too much.
My point is simple, Warne and Murali (especially Murali, won had contributed in 2004/05 series win; my main problem with him is he wasn't good against India anywhere, home or away, unlike Muralitharan) hardly contributed in winning series in India; Ashwin did that twice in Australia. I can't see what's there in my point you aren't getting?? Also like, I am not really out here saying Ashwin is as good as Warne or Murali; am I?

As for Ponting, the same point works. He had 2 decent series, but really didn't led his team to victory in any of those. He is considered a flop because i those 2 decent tours he wasn't impactful enough, neither his team won. Had he contributed Australia to even a Test win in India, I would not had been so harsh on him; even the only series Australia won in India in the 2000s, he only played a single match and scored 23 runs across both innings.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Kumble on these pitches would make India as unbeatable.
Controversial take but I don't think Kumble becomes a regular in Ashwin's Era, it's definitely not a guarantee..Ashwin and Jadeja were better batsmen and their results with the ball speak for themselves..
He could have been the Kuldeep Yadav of current Indian Test team ..
Ashwin got the results, with Kumble its speculation of what he could have done on current Era..I think the best spinners needs to be the one with the best performance.

subshakerz

International Coach
My point is simple, Warne and Murali (especially Murali, won had contributed in 2004/05 series win; my main problem with him is he wasn't good against India anywhere, home or away, unlike Muralitharan) hardly contributed in winning series in India; Ashwin did that twice in Australia. I can't see what's there in my point you aren't getting?? Also like, I am not really out here saying Ashwin is as good as Warne or Murali; am I?

As for Ponting, the same point works. He had 2 decent series, but really didn't led his team to victory in any of those. He is considered a flop because i those 2 decent tours he wasn't impactful enough, neither his team won. Had he contributed Australia to even a Test win in India, I would not had been so harsh on him; even the only series Australia won in India in the 2000s, he only played a single match and scored 23 runs across both innings.
Ok. I get ranking series victory performances over regular ones.

Let's leave Ponting cas he is a batter. My point is that qualitatively, Ashwins performance isn't far from Warne and Murali who are both considered failures in India.

Now, fair enough though, we aren't comparing Ashwin to Murali/Warne overall, but compared to Kumble in Australia I think Kumble is superior.

Warne is instructive because Warne pretty much played a similar support role in 2004/2005 victory as Ashwin in 2021. Yet his record couldn't recover from damage of previous tours.

So Ashwin in Australia to me is at most an average middling performance

subshakerz

International Coach
Controversial take but I don't think Kumble becomes a regular in Ashwin's Era, it's definitely not a guarantee..Ashwin and Jadeja were better batsmen and their results with the ball speak for themselves..
He could have been the Kuldeep Yadav of current Indian Test team ..
Ashwin got the results, with Kumble its speculation of what he could have done on current Era..I think the best spinners needs to be the one with the best performance.
Check Kumbles home record in the 90s on sporting but not even as spicy wickets as in the 2010s.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes, averaging 40 is a dismal failure. So we should agree Imran is a hack as he could not do better than 40 across all 4th innings throughout his career across all condiitions.

Ash >> Imran as an allrounder, hence proved.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yes, averaging 40 is a dismal failure. So we should agree Imran is a hack as he could not do better than 40 across all 4th innings throughout his career across all condiitions.

Ash >> Imran as an allrounder, hence proved.
Red herring alert.

Anyways the same folks here pumping up Ashwin in Australia would also likely dismiss Anderson as a failure in Australia too

subshakerz

International Coach
People who rate Ashwin the best underestimate or downplay:

- The degree to which pitches in India this decade have performance enhanced the returns of all spinners, even mediocre foreign ones.

- The degree to which there have been limitations in Ashwin's wicket-taking capacity in SENA.

I hope Ashwin can follow with a rip tearing tour of Australia, take a bunch of matchwinning fifers, and bury this ghost once and for all. Until then, cricket punditry won't see him quite as some posters here do.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Kumble obviously. He didn't need pitches nerfed up to this degree.

Ashwin has yet to really seal a game in SENA. No fifer yet. Instant disqualifier.

I reckon you could cut off around 100 Ashwin home wickets just based on pitch factors.
Kumble has a poor away record as well. And Ashwin has a god level record in Ind and amazing WPM and SR, despite facing fierce competition from Jadeja.

subshakerz

International Coach
Kumble has a poor away record as well. And Ashwin has a god level record in Ind and amazing WPM and SR, despite facing fierce competition from Jadeja.
Kumble has some smatterings of impact away moreso IMO than Ashwin.

Ashwin in India to me is like Philander in SA. Nerfed up by the conditions moreso than skill. It's bizarre to me how posters here ignore that when looking at his record.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Kumble has some smatterings of impact away moreso IMO than Ashwin.

Ashwin in India to me is like Philander in SA. Nerfed up by the conditions moreso than skill. It's bizarre to me how posters here ignore that when looking at his record.
Joke's on you, I consider Philander an ATG bowler.

Jumno

State 12th Man
Kumble performed well in Eng 2002. I'm confident he picked up impactful wickets in that Indian test win. Kumble was good in Aus 2004 and instrumental in their series win against WI 2006.

reyrey

U19 12th Man
If away records are the deciding factor then my man Chandrasekhar has no equals :cool2:

Got wickets everywhere (1 flat track draw in Pak spoils his average there)

SpanMatInnsBallssRunsWktsBBIBBMAvgEconSR5w
in Australia1967-19787131956878296/5212/10430.272.6967.431
in England1967-197991523191053316/388/11433.962.7274.820
in India1964-19793255918539331428/7911/23527.692.5664.681
in New Zealand1976-197634719294116/948/17926.722.4565.310
in Pakistan1978-19783457638584/1304/17948.124.0172.000
in West Indies1976-1976461208656216/1208/20831.233.2557.520

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain
Kumble performed well in Eng 2002. I'm confident he picked up impactful wickets in that Indian test win. Kumble was good in Aus 2004 and instrumental in their series win against WI 2006.
Kumble also performed well in South Africa 2006,1992 and in WestIndies 1997 and was also instrumental in series victory in Pakistan 2004.