• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best grounds to watch cricket

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I have watched cricket at:
Eden Park
Seddon Park
Basin Reserve
Westpac Stadium
SCG
Lords
MCG

Experiences vary depending on what sort of ticket you have.

For a low cost general admission ticket the best I have been to is definitely the Basin Reserve.
- The grass embankment is engineered at an angle that you can lie back and watch the cricket from the lieing position.
- The pohutakawas are mature so there are now plenty of shade options on the embankment.
- Early birds can get in early, with their deck chairs, and get a position at the flat top of the embankment.
- The concourse is in front of the embankment and seating, so in a days play you generally spot 10 or so mates passing by and can call out for a catch up. With no designated seating it is easy to just squeeze in by a friend to spend 10 minutes chatting.
- The ground is not used regularly enough for big events to justify permanent catering facilities and therefore a main crappy catering contractor. So food is supplied by independent food carts.
- You are allowed onto the field at the lunch break (but not the Tea break anymore). So you can inspect the wicket block, and kids can play tennis ball games on the field.
- The pavilion is accessible to general admission (not in a restricted members area) so kids can get close to players coming and going, and the 12th man, and pester players for autographs etc ....
- Personally I like the vibe of it being in a roundabout and the sirens of the passing Ambulances and Fire Engines making it feel like an oasis in the city.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sounds brilliant. I’m guessing some of the South African grounds have a similar sort of vibe.

morgieb

The only Test Aussie grounds I've watched cricket at is the SCG and Manuka (I've been to the MCG but not for cricket)

SCG is good but the facilities are poor in the Brewongle/O'Reilly stands and even the Trumper stand doesn't have good food/alcohol options. Manuka's basically your average suburban ground. Pretty meh overall though I imagine watching a local match would be fun (went there for a BBL game).

I rate the MCG but it's the sort of ground where you need a strong attendance for it to work, otherwise it's just too big.

Ethiad is good but I've only attended AFL matches there. ANZ's just too big and plain doesn't work as an oval venue.

Out of the smaller suburban grounds, Hurstville's just a bit too small. Drummoyne's nice because it's on the harbour. Neither are too memorable though.

Would love to hit Lords, the Basin and Newlands the most out of overseas cricket grounds (and Adelaide Oval in Australia). If the West Indies can come good again then that would be an awesome viewing experience too.

Burgey

The worst ground I have watched cricket at is the Gabba, by far. Even the fact it has arguably the best cricket wicket in Australia cannot make up for the drudgery of the stadium itself, the fact there are so many Qlders there and the fetid, squalid humidity and soullessness of the rest of the ground. Further proof Brisbane is Australia's Chennai.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The worst ground I have watched cricket at is the Gabba, by far. Even the fact it has arguably the best cricket wicket in Australia cannot make up for the drudgery of the stadium itself, the fact there are so many Qlders there and the fetid, squalid humidity and soullessness of the rest of the ground. Further proof Brisbane is Australia's Chennai.
It doesn't, and hasn't been in the running for years. I'm surprised you found there were too many Queenslanders, after all no-one ever seems to attend there.

Burgey

MCG ain’t that great tbh. Awesome if it’s close to capacity, it otherwise just a giant soulless bowl. You’re also a long way Way from everything. SCG is miles better to watch at, Adelaide even more so.

The latter two grounds also actually have some character. The MCG’s take on “character” is having a different coloured seat to mark the spot where Simon O’Donnell hit Greg Matthews in a Shield game in the 80s.

Whoop de doo.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I’ve discovered I have more leave accrued than the missus and have been told by my agency that I must take it all before 1 August or lose it (is that even lawful?)

Long story short, I will probably take off the week commencing 16 June and catch up on some County Championship.

I’m looking for recommendations from the following grounds for a day trip from West London:

Radlett Cricket Club
County Ground, Chelmsford
New Road, Worcester
County Ground, Derby
Grace Road, Leicester

Chances are I will also go to Chelmsford later in the season, so particularly interested in the grounds in the Midlands.

Last edited:

Tom Flint

International Regular
Radlett is a nice little ground in the country side with fields all around it. 2 pitches side by side with a small but nice clubhouse/pavilion with a decking out the front you can sit and watch the game. I've played there a few times the pitch they will be playing on is quite small for fc cricket but would expect a decent track. A bit out the way if you were using public transport and planning on having a few beers while watching, although boreham wood station isn't too far with
direct links to london

Bijed

International Regular
Unfortunately haven't been to enough grounds to reasonably say any I've been to stack up particularly well against the rest, but I liked the Darren Sammy Stadium a lot - the stadium itself didn't stand out as such, but was very pleasant and had a lovely quaint charm to it, but I really liked how it was nestled in the lush green hills of St Lucia

Wiki picture for reference:

View attachment 24573

Tom Flint

International Regular
Yes I went there for the cpl 3 years ago. Decent venue we got a bus to the main road then walked the 30 minutes up through the villages stopping for a beer or two in the little bars on the way to the stadium. We stood on the grass bank was a good atmosphere too

Burgey

I’ve discovered I have more leave accrued than the missus and have been told by my agency that I must take it all before 1 August or lose it (is that even lawful?)

Long story short, I will probably take off the week commencing 16 June and catch up on some County Championship.

I’m looking for recommendations from the following grounds for a day trip from West London:

Radlett Cricket Club
County Ground, Chelmsford
New Road, Worcester
County Ground, Derby
Grace Road, Leicester

Chances are I will also go to Chelmsford later in the season, so particularly interested in the grounds in the Midlands.
Chelmsford is quite a pleasant ground to watch. It's small, so you're right among the action, and when I was there the players were pretty accessible too. The little pavilion with its bar is charming.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I've only watched cricket at the MCG. What a piece of ****! If it's crowded, then it sucks because drongos. If it's empty then is sucks because wasteland. The best time I had at the MCG was when they were rebuilding the stands and you had views in the background. Normally the MCG is just like a very big bucket with grass on the bottom.
One day I'd like to watch cricket at that Indian ground with the mountains and horrendously designed stands.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually quite like watching state games in an empty MCG. I find it rather serene. You can even have a convo with the fielders which are close to the boundary if you are lucky. A number of years ago myself & a mate had a nice chat with Damien Wright.

YCCCfan

Cricket Spectator
New Road, Worcester
County Ground, Derby
Grace Road, Leicester
If you are travelling by train :-

Grace Road is an approximate £6 taxi ride from the station, use Queehs -Saffron taxis 01162701700
The 3aaa’s there is a bus stop directly opposite the station with very regular buses, otherwise a 20 minute walk
New Road use Worcester Foregate Street station & it’s less than half a mile to the ground, you walk past a lovely eatery called The Cornish Bakehouse where you can buy food for the day.