• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever run out

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I doubt it was at the Bavuma/de Villiers level, but I remember seeing an excellent run out by Derek Randall once of a batsman who wasn't even attempting a run, just backing up. Unfortunately, searching for "randall run out" just brings up (a) Boycott running him out in the Nottingham Test in 1977, and (b) Randall running himself out idiotically in Australia.

SeamUp

International Coach
I've seen Faf, AB, Miller and Rilee try to do what Bavuma did but I can't remember to ever see it work for a run out.

It's due to the angle of their body running to the ball not being in line with the stumps. Huge respect because fielding is an art (slip catching,under the helmet and just what guys like Jonty, Ponting, Gibbs brought as well for a period in the 90's with mini-battles between themselves).

You just don't hear about that sort of thing anymore.

Last edited:

listento_me

U19 Captain
edit: reason being that Ponting would bitch and moan his way through that series. It's hilarious seeing Warne trying to make excuses for him too :laugh: (couldnt add this to above comment)

and this by sehwag for utter stupidity

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I linked to that one earlier. Credit to Sangakkara for being sharp enough to notice the run out was on.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That AB one off Katich was the one that came to my mind first, but I love this one by Ponting just because on the replay, everyone is up appealing for the lbw and he's the only one who realises Jones is out of the crease.

Daemon

I think I must've watched Bavuma run out Warner about 30 times today while showing it to all my non cricket watching friends and I still can't get enough. Even outside of cricket I've seen a fair few baseball plays that rival this but nothing that tops it.

SeamUp

International Coach
Got to just put this here for Jonty's genius and for the footage and remembering some players you forgot about, forgetting about green is out for a run out.... oh and Inzy :laugh:

Last edited:

vcs

Got to just put this here for Jonty's genius and for the footage and remembering some players you forgot about, forgetting about green is out for a run out.... oh and Inzy :laugh:

The first one was remarkably similar to Bavuma's today. Pure brilliance.

indiaholic

International Captain
Another nomination would be Warner running out Bell.. One stump to aim at and Warner was fielding near the boundary.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
One stump run outs are so good to look out. Spent the 90s seeing South Africans hitting them while Indians missed three stump clear view ones, ftr.

Gibbs was too good.

hazsa19

International Regular
Vaughan running Martyn out at Edgbaston in 05. It wasn't anything special, except that Vaughan more often than not resembled Bambi on ice in the field.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dunno if this has been mentioned before but another amazing thing about the Bavuma run out was the fact that he had his close-in fielder pads. As someone who has always been a wicket keeper, I know how tough it can be to run really fast in those. The fact that he made the run out so well inspite of having those on is just mind-boggling for me.