• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever English spinner?

The best ever English spinner is...

• Total voters

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Having a round arm makes it difficult to judge the flight. You can spin the ball bit more and with the angle, arm ball gets much more effective as well. Will create the angle for lefties and will allow wicket to wicket bowling against right handers. It allows elbow to be kept more straight. Many advantages.
I think the biggest issue is it's harder to topspin the ball. Tayfield took a lot of wickets on the pitches in SA that Laker had a bit of trouble on. From the film I've seen he seemed to be bowling much more over the top, with a bit more dip and more topspin.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the biggest issue is it's harder to topspin the ball. Tayfield took a lot of wickets on the pitches in SA that Laker had a bit of trouble on. From the film I've seen he seemed to be bowling much more over the top, with a bit more dip and more topspin.
True, all these can become counter productive on a bouncy surface where top spin is needed.

cnerd123

likes this
Laker, Verity, Briggs, Rhodes is how I voted in the Top 20 spinners poll, although now I want to reconsider placing Rhodes so low.

Not sure what to make of Swann in comparison TBF. I think I left him out entirely but would like to reconsider that too.