• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever English spinner?

The best ever English spinner is...

• Total voters

Days of Grace

International Captain
Who was in your opinion the best ever spinner to have played for England in TESTS

I will give you a top ten, based on my ratings for Test bowlers and please vote for one of them.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably Hedley Verity. As ever, though, Wilfred Rhodes pretty damn close. Laker the best of the right-arm fingerspinners.

No-one else gets close, though obviously Underwood almost certainly would trump all of them had pitches become covered in, say, 1985 instead of 1970, and had he not joined WSC.

BTW, poor form including Bates and not Lock.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not enough of a spinner to qualify, obviously. 8-)

Barnes >>>>>>>>>>>>> any other bowler, so naturally Barnes >>>>>>>>>>> any other English spinner.

Days of Grace

International Captain
No way was Underwood better than Rhodes. :@
With all due respect, Rich, Rhodes took about 130 wickets in about 58 tests, so he was hardly a big wicket taker. Of course, he took a mountain of wickets in county cricket, but I am talking about TESTs here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rhodes' Test career when he was the stock-standard age for Test cricketers was every bit as good as anyone has ever been.

Rhodes played many more Tests post-war when he barely bowled, playing mostly as an opening batsman (and performing the role with distinction in the pre-Sutcliffe days).

The start of his career, when he was the "normal" age you'd expect a Test cricketer to be, count far more for me than anything which happened after he changed his roles.

And not many people (if any) would be capable of returning to Tests at 49 and 52 years of age and still performing very well indeed, despite being cast into a role they had not performed for over a decade.

EDIT: in the first decade of Rhodes' Test career, he played 26 matches, all against Australia, taking 94 wickets at 22.78.

In his next 27 games he bowled just 288 overs for 17 wickets. He averaged 34.13 with the bat in that time.

Then he excelled on his dramatic recall in 1926, and performed admirably in 4 games (not considered Tests at the time) in West Indies, going for 0.86-an-over in 45 overs in his final game. No-one else has ever even looked like doing that. Few have been given the chance, of course, but few would be good enough for anyone to even consider it.

Last edited:

khawi

Cricket Spectator
Well never heard many names before but laker for me for sure, and hey wat abt Jhon embury?

bagapath

International Captain
Well never heard many names before but laker for me for sure, and hey wat abt Jhon embury?
emburey is in the running, along with shastri, hooper, giles, nicky boje, phil tuffnel and venkatraghavan, for the title of worst bowler to have taken more than 100 wickets in tests... too many of this sad list are left arm spinners.

laker must be the best english spinner. rhodes and laker both bowled on similar, uncoverd wickets, though seoparated by 30-40 years. but laker had better strike rate and average that too against better batsmen.

yes, i read richars' post on rhodes' early career. i strongly believe laker's overall record is still better than rhodes' best period.

Last edited: