• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever Associate bowler

Kirkut

International Regular
There was some guy named 'Karim' from Kenya team if I remember he had Australia in trouble in a 2003 World Cup game.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rawson or Mortensen of an older vintage. Or Bart King of an even older vintage.

I do like the look of some of these Afghan quicks though. A few of the Test teams would be happy with them in their squads (Hassan and Zadran)

Roland Lefebvre and Andre van Troost were the couple knocking around County cricket when I was able to go and watch county games easily, but they weren't in the same class as the others mentioned.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Collins Obuya and Asif Karim looked great for Kenya in 2003.
Thomas Odoyo, Martin Suji along with Obuya and Karim were very good for Keyna, Johnston, Rankin and Dockrell for Ireland. Back when Bangladesh were starting out, Rafique was impressive who went on to become their main spinner during their early years.

But there's an x factor about the Afghan bowlers. Shapoor is another favourite of mine along with those two you mentioned.
And the 17 year old leg spinner looks an exciting prospect.
Collins Obuya was always more a batting allrounder. As far as Kenya re concerned I reckon Peter Ongondo was out most consistently threatening pace bowler, with Aasif Karim being a very special spinner

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Collins Obuya was always more a batting allrounder. As far as Kenya re concerned I reckon Peter Ongondo was out most consistently threatening pace bowler, with Aasif Karim being a very special spinner
I think Obuya started of as a handy legspinner who later became an allrounder or the other way around. Correct me if I am wrong.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
There was some guy named 'Karim' from Kenya team if I remember he had Australia in trouble in a 2003 World Cup game.
Yeah didn't he bowl 10 overs for like 6 runs or something ridiculous? Was trying to think of his name.

edit: 8.2-6-7-3 wow

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Answer overall at this stage is probably Thomas Odoyo given his career has ended afaik, but will possibly end up being Zadran or O'Brien.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Collins Obuya came up through the junior ranks as a batsman who could bowl a bit, but got into the senior team with his leg spin, and when a whole bunch of senior batsmen retired (Ravi Shah, Odumbe, etc) his batting became indispensable for the youngens coming into teh squad

khodder

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I remember reading good things about Van Meekeren, of Netherlands, a few years ago. Glad he showcased his talent today. There's also another upcoming Dutch bowler, Vivian Kingma. I think he's in this World T20 squad but I don't think he was given any games. Sucks that these guys probably won't get to develop further and beyond to what they deserve.

Afghanistan's bowlers are probably the best unit at the moment. It's like, if one fails then they have 4 other bowlers who will potentially pick up the wickets. That's what's great about the team throughout this t20 tournament, nearly every player has contributed in someway shape or form.
I've been lucky enough to play against both Van Meekeren and Kingma. PVM probably a bit quicker (This was 4-5 years ago) than Kingma, but Viv swung the ball away from the right hander also at handy pace.

Played one game of club cricket opening the batting against Trent Boult at one end and Viv Kingma at the other.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I've been lucky enough to play against both Van Meekeren and Kingma. PVM probably a bit quicker (This was 4-5 years ago) than Kingma, but Viv swung the ball away from the right hander also at handy pace.

Played one game of club cricket opening the batting against Trent Boult at one end and Viv Kingma at the other.
That's pretty cool! Didn't know they've played club cricket in NZ. There is a recent interview with both on Cricinfo, with PVM saying he hopes to lead the attack with Kingma...for 2020. 4 year wait to see Van Meekeren on the big stage again and to see Kingma for the first time, is depressing.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Collins Obuya came up through the junior ranks as a batsman who could bowl a bit, but got into the senior team with his leg spin, and when a whole bunch of senior batsmen retired (Ravi Shah, Odumbe, etc) his batting became indispensable for the youngens coming into teh squad
He only had a very small part of his career where he actually did much bowling, coinciding with the 2003 world cup IIRC which is probably why he's on your radar. The latter part of his career he hardly bowled at all and played as a top order batsman, and even at his best was not the best bowler in the Kenyan team let alone a "best ever associate bowler".

Good guy to mention though, he had 1 or 2 really good, high profile performances.