• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Captains in Men's International Cricket

• Thread starter Deleted member 37658
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 37658

Hi all,

I am quite interested to know who you think is the best captain, RIGHT NOW, in men's international cricket, you don't have to base your decision on stats, but please respond with your opinions. Below, is my opinion:

3) Tim Paine: Whilst he may not be the person who you'd back to single-handedly win games with the bat, his bravery and leadership skills have to be admired. Having first led the team after the shameful ball tampering scandal, he suffered some pretty harsh comments that many would have struggled to deal with, however, Paine showed resilience that led to many successes of the team. One key example of Paine's resilience was after Ben Stokes' fantastic innings at Headingly, following Stokes' heroics, many questioned Paine's captaincy, for example, wasting a review or not bringing the field in when Stokes was trying to take a single on the last ball of the over. However, Paine's captaincy (alongside the brilliance of Smith, Labuschagne, Hazlewood, Cummins, Starc) helped Australia retain the Ashes at Old Trafford, there were many moments in that match which proved how much of a genius Paine was, for example, when he decided an early declaration on Day 4 that led to the key wickets of Rory Burns and Joe Root. It is no doubt that he helped Australia recover from a pretty dark moment, hence he is on this list.

2) Eoin Morgan: One of England's best-ever white ball batters, Eoin Morgan has helped England win some really famous matches, for example the Cricket World Cup 2019 final, that helped England lift their first ever 50-over world trophy. In addition, Morgan's composure on the field has meant that England have been able to win games from some pretty difficult situations (for example, 2nd iT20 vs Pakistan, 2020; 1st iT20 vs Australia, 2020; 2nd ODI vs Australia 2020). Eoin Morgan also has the ability to produce some fine pieces of fielding that sets a good example for the rest of the team. He is without a doubt one of England's best ever white ball captains.

1) Kane Williamson: Arguably, New Zealand's best ever cricketer, he is considered to be part of cricket's fab four (alongside Steve Smith, Virat Kohli, Joe Root) and is someone who cricket fans, all over the globe, respect, due to his composure on and off the field. A key example of Williamson's composure, was after the famous World Cup 2019 final, when New Zealand lost by the 'barest of margins'. Even though England deserved to win the World Cup, we cannot deny the fact that luck swayed in England's direction and swayed away from New Zealand's. Despite this, Williamson refused to moan about the rules and instead decided to congratulate England. His composure sets an example for the rest of his team and helps them to remain calm under tough situations. Often, when a captain seems relaxed, so does the rest of the team, this is often evident through the performance of the players. Williamson is a fine example of this. Williamson is a brilliant ambassador to the sport and a brilliant example that it is possible to beat any team, as long as you work hard and stay calm. Throughout the 2019 Cricket World Cup, Williamson helped his side win some tough games (against West Indies, South Africa and Bangladesh). He also utilised the new ball duo of Matt Henry and Trent Boult effectively, this led to the collapse of India's top order in the semi-final. His field settings also restricted the run rates of several other teams. His stroke of genius, batting ability and composure is what makes him the standout contender.

Do you agree? Let me know your thoughts down below.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I'd add Jason Holder. Williamson is still a fair bit behind Richard Hadlee, but I'd say he's NZ's 2nd greatest cricketer.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd add Jason Holder. Williamson is still a fair bit behind Richard Hadlee, but I'd say he's NZ's 2nd greatest cricketer.
Holder's actual captaincy seems pretty poor to me, no matter how well it's done for his skill.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Virat Kohli is under-rated as a captain. His team selections can often be other worldly awful but as an on field captain he has improved leaps and bounds and is probably the best "leader" IMO among the current crop of captains.

D

Deleted member 37658

Yes Jason Holder is quite a composed individual and a great example for the sport, this was evident when asking players to take a knee to support the Black Lives Matter Movement

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Virat Kohli is under-rated as a captain. His team selections can often be other worldly awful but as an on field captain he has improved leaps and bounds and is probably the best "leader" IMO among the current crop of captains.
Biased obviously but tough to beat Kane as a leader. Kohli is great in the good times and is always up for a battle against the best sides, but he sooks when things aren't going his way. Kane's person never changes no matter what the situation. He is incredibly level headed and also steps up in the tough moments.

Imagine for a minute, the World Cup final scenario (overthrows off Stokes, the more boundaries thing etc). How do you think Kohli would have reacted?

Flem274*

123/5
kohli would have exploded and tried to dominate the umpire, which is exactly what kane should have done. kohli would have ended dharmasena's career after that muppet failed at counting. what a beautiful place cricket would be without that guy getting every lbw shout wrong.

it's why fleming is by far and away our best skipper i've seen. not only was he a great strategist and leader of men, he had the bottle to do what must be done. didn't matter whether it was antagonizing graeme smith or ordering his side to fix a close loss to game the bonus point system, he would do it.

kane wouldn't.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
kohli would have exploded and tried to dominate the umpire, which is exactly what kane should have done. kohli would have ended dharmasena's career after that muppet failed at counting. what a beautiful place cricket would be without that guy getting every lbw shout wrong.

it's why fleming is by far and away our best skipper i've seen. not only was he a great strategist and leader of men, he had the bottle to do what must be done. didn't matter whether it was antagonizing graeme smith or ordering his side to fix a close loss to game the bonus point system, he would do it.

kane wouldn't.
Fair opinion...however hardly anyone knew that rule at the time. Not you, not me, not Kumar, not Kane, not anyone. So trying to dominate the umpire would’ve been fruitless unless the rule was known, which Kohli wouldn’t have. Only my opinion, but I believe he would’ve sooked it up deluxe and made it very hard for the side to finish off the over.

Fleming was a great tactical leader, a strong voice no doubt. But he failed to lead with runs and actions to any extent near what Kane is. And ok, there’s the odd instance where a bit more mongrel may help. But isn’t it a virtue to lead with humility, calm, and a sense of fair play when you’re still able to win as well? We are Test world #1 and had one hand on a World Cup. And that ain’t Gary Stead. Ruthlessness doesn’t have to roar

Flem274*

123/5
i don't think the skipper has to be one of the best players in the world or the best player in the side, as long as he is a certain pick. in an alternate universe tom latham would be a perfectly fine captaincy choice as a player.

it is a virtue, but to nerd it up it's difficult not to adapt the GRRM quote for mccullum and williamson to "they led nobly, they led honourably, but they lost." having grown up watching waugh and ponting followed by clarke and kohli, and these guys coming after the great west indians not being known for their manners, it's hard not to suspect sport results, like many other things, rewards the win at all costs mentality. the pragmatist in me wishes we'd stop winning moral victories and start winning real ones.

the truth is hopefully not so cynical. there's no doubt in my mind this side would be even better with fleming at the helm, and he would not have tolerated lords 2019. he would not have gone full diva like kohli, but he would have plenty of input to try and sway the english favouring 50/50 call umpiring all game to our favour.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Im still not sure why you’re using Lords as something Fleming wouldn’t have stood for, and using it as a stick to beat Kane with. Which part? Again, no one knew the rule. What else happened? The most boundaries thing was written in stone, as much as it sucked.

Kane hasn’t lost much at all, let’s get that straight. He didn’t lose the World Cup final. He’s lost what, one Test series? Fleming wasn’t about to change that. Your quote doesn’t fit Kane. He’s won a lot more already than Fleming did, and a lot of us would argue with similar talent. Maybe even less.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Im still not sure why you’re using Lords as something Fleming wouldn’t have stood for, and using it as a stick to beat Kane with. Which part? Again, no one knew the rule. What else happened? The most boundaries thing was written in stone, as much as it sucked.

Kane hasn’t lost much at all, let’s get that straight. He didn’t lose the World Cup final. He’s lost what, one Test series? Fleming wasn’t about to change that. Your quote doesn’t fit Kane. He’s won a lot more already than Fleming did, and a lot of us would argue with similar talent. Maybe even less.
This side has got a lot more talent than Fleming's sides (except in the spin/allrounder categories including part time bowlers). It also has had far fewer injuries in the fast bowler departments

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Our side now has more results and better averages...not sure it has more talent. If you match up the 2001 Perth side with this one today, I think you’d be brave to say the one now has more ability. They’ve just got a lot more out of themselves. And 01 had a better coach too.

Maybe part of it too is 42-9 v 23-31 or whatever the respective conversion rates are for Fleming and Kane? If you’re in Kane’s team you better perform more often than not. In Fleming’s, maybe a couple of world class match wining performances, coupled with a big ego that fit (hugely important then) was enough.

Flem274*

123/5

flemings sides have waaaaay less talent. maybe if bond and cairns played every game you could compare, but even then the batting now is so far ahead of back then (now watch as they **** the bed today). we were on the verge of dropping nicholls who was still averaging more than astle and styris.

the taylor sawing off, jason roy not out and 5 becoming 6 was ridiculous. the 5 becoming 6 is the definite point where fleming has a chat imo. im not saying kane is a terrible skipper by any means but in terms of force of will on others he can't compare to fleming. i think people sometimes forget how ruthless that man could be.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
flemings sides have waaaaay less talent. maybe if bond and cairns played every game you could compare, but even then the batting now is so far ahead of back then (now watch as they **** the bed today). we were on the verge of dropping nicholls who was still averaging more than astle and styris.

the taylor sawing off, jason roy not out and 5 becoming 6 was ridiculous. the 5 becoming 6 is the definite point where fleming has a chat imo. im not saying kane is a terrible skipper by any means but in terms of force of will on others he can't compare to fleming. i think people sometimes forget how ruthless that man could be.
Didn't pretty much nobody know that rule at the time? Pretty sure it did not even get mentioned until later.