• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Captains in Men's International Cricket

• Thread starter Deleted member 37658
  • Start date

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You’re drawing a very long bow that the Roy one and Taylor’s one change under Kane. The Roy one was an umpire not prepared to make a decision early (human nature) and a sub par review system. And Guptill burned Taylor’s review not Kane.

And again, Fleming wouldn’t have known the rule. No one did until the next day.

I’d suggest Kane is hugely ruthless. Just not in the loud way you equate it with.

Flem274*

123/5
Didn't pretty much nobody know that rule at the time? Pretty sure it did not even get mentioned until later.
admittedly ive never watched that game ever again but on commentary there was confusion/debate, the umpires consulted, the umpires are meant to know the rules (dharmasena still thinks he's right) and regardless of what is 'correct' that's the sort of consultation where a fielding skipper gets in there and manages the umpires.

it's probably the rugby fan in me but managing the referee is vital for any skipper (or halfback) and the great australian cricket side were masters at it. kane needed to get in there and sway them.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
flemings sides have waaaaay less talent. maybe if bond and cairns played every game you could compare, but even then the batting now is so far ahead of back then (now watch as they **** the bed today). we were on the verge of dropping nicholls who was still averaging more than astle and styris
That speaks to results not ability.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Biased obviously but tough to beat Kane as a leader. Kohli is great in the good times and is always up for a battle against the best sides, but he sooks when things aren't going his way. Kane's person never changes no matter what the situation. He is incredibly level headed and also steps up in the tough moments.

Imagine for a minute, the World Cup final scenario (overthrows off Stokes, the more boundaries thing etc). How do you think Kohli would have reacted?
I dont think leadership is about being calm in face of adversity alone. It is also getting players to do better than they would otherwise, which I think Kohli does a lot of, which is why he has had the success he has had as captain, given his team selection is usually pitifully bad and tactical nous, while good, is not as good as some of the others captaining even today. There are different ways to lead group of people and Virat's style works best for India. And remember under his captaincy, we have come back from some tough situations in test series too, both home and away. I dont see KW leading NZ to a win in Johannesberg like Virat did after losing 2 tests and being (rightly) criticized for some **** selections. Its swings and roundabouts but from what I have seen and how I define "leadership" I think Virat is the best going around in the world today.

Of course, each one may define leadership slightly differently and therefore, you may well consider KW to be better by your criteria for leadership. Its not an objective thing and KW is a great leader and overall, I think a better captain than Virat. So no biggie for me regarding your choice. :)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fleming gets a lot of credit for doing weird ****, which looks fantastic when it comes off

I don't have an answer to this thread but I think there are a lot of great captains, with different styles. The Ponting/Kohli captains that lead from the front can be great motivators for the team. Also the Fleming/Clarke tactical thinkers deserve a lot of credit as well.