• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best ball ever?

C_C

International Captain
Best deliveries i've seen ( no particular order) :

1. Wasim's two deliveries in 92 world cup finals
2. Murali to Chanderpaul ( in the last two series between SL and WI- a stunner of a doosra)
3. Waqar to Lara ( and all fall down)
4. Donald to Sachin ( perfect setup and then executed with a monster inswinger - 96 or so i think)
5. Wasim to Dravid ( mentioned here before)
6. Waqar to Haynes(92 or 93 - ball did 10 things before completely outfoxing Haynes)
7. Warne to Gatting
8. Kumble to Lara ( Hero Cup - spitting cobra)
9. Imran to Gavaskar ( banana inswinger- early 80s)
10. Flintoff to Ponting ( last ashes)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
C_C said:
6. Waqar to Haynes(92 or 93 - ball did 10 things before completely outfoxing Haynes)
Whatever it did to outfox Haynes must've been pretty good, considering that he wasn't outfoxed even after 10 things happened.

C_C

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Whatever it did to outfox Haynes must've been pretty good, considering that he wasn't outfoxed even after 10 things happened.
I saw a clip of that..it was a yorker. First it swung out, then it kinda swung in and looked like its gonna be a fulltoss. Then it dipped and castled haynes. Haynes picked up the ball, looked at it, shook his head and walked off.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Incredibly embarrasing for lara. I don't think ive ever seen lara clowned like that. HOW DID WAQAR MANAGE TO SWING THE BALL BOTH WAYS AND DIP AFTERWARDS! Still amazes me.
How is it embarrassing to be knocked over by a ball like that?!

On the videos it shows Shoaib knocking over Stephen Fleming in the 1999 WC. Now THAT would have been a tough one to keep out. I remember thinking at the time it was one of the better yorkers I'd seen.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah its the best I've ever seen IMO.

For a spinner I'd either have Warne's delivery to Gatting or Murali's doosra to Dhoni last year. That was unbelievable, the fact that he could spin his doosra as much as Warne spins his leg break.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
Waqar's yorker to Lara is insane. That and Ahktars yorker to Fleming 99WC (I Think) are my 2 favourites. Another of Ahktar's was a bouncer he bowled, i think it was the Pakistan-Australia series at the telstra dome a couple of years ago. It's hit the pitch, The batsman has jumped bout 2 feet, still it's flown over his head, and the keepers just given a lame little jump before turning round to watch it go a couple of bounces and then over the rope.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've got a video of that I think, although I didn't know they played at the Telstra Dome?

Xuhaib

International Coach
C_C said:
Best deliveries i've seen ( no particular order) :

Oh yeah i rember that was 93, it was in a tri-series involving Pak ,WI and SA being played in SA.

Absolutley unbelivable.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think it is fair to say that Waqar and Warne have had the most ridiculous magic balls of recent history. Worth the admission fee alone just to watch what these guys could do.

Other balls that amazed were Dale Steyn to Vaughan in SA (came from nowhere and pitched leg and hit off)

but the one that impressed me and upset me the most at the same time was in the 1992 World Cup final.

Mushtaq Ahmed bowls to Hick in a tight game. The ball drops short and Hick goes back to cut.
Hick does not even bring the bat down as instead of being where he thinks, the ball spins back at him and traps him plumb LBW.

One of the best googly's Ive ever seen bowl, Hick looks like a monkey and Pakistan win the World Cup.

Beleg

International Regular
Saqlain's doosra to Damien Martyn in one of the ODI's during the 2001 tri-series in England. I remember one of the commentator's commenting it turned more than Warney's leg-spin!

Talking about googlies, Mushtaq bowled an equally good one to Astle on the 2001 NZ tour. Astle played (left) for the spin, only to find his middle-stump knocked out of the ground. Even the keeper was out-foxed.

Cricinfo said:

Mushtaq Ahmed to Astle, OUT: what a ball! a huge googly and Astle
did not read it whatsoever, shouldering arms and it turns right
around the front pad and clips the stumps, Mushtaq is jubilant,
finally gaining the reward he desperately sought last night and
this morning
However, Wasim's delivery to get rid of Chris Lewis (WC 92, Final) was the best I have seen. It's among my most vivid childhood memories and one that turned me into a fast bowling fan.

tooextracool

International Coach
dont know if anyones mentioned this, Wasim akrams ball to chanderpaul during the 2000 series in the WI, the first ball of the following clip :
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9136204527632740186&q=wasim+akram

i think any bowler who can reverse the ball both ways is a remarkable bowler and chanderpaul missed that yorker by a mile. Its interesting to note how much more unorthodox Chanderpauls stance has become since then though.
I think the best balls have to be hitting the stumps(or would if the pads werent in the way) because caught behinds generally dont count as unplayable deliveries as a lesser skilled batsman could easily play and miss them.