• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Attacks / Batting Line ups in World Cricket presently?

Blocky

Banned
We know that spin bowling has died a death since the retirement of Warne, Murali and Swann, I also think this is probably the weakest period I can remember for all rounders for a wee while too - but how would you currently rank teams against the following criteria in test cricket. Excluding Shahid Afridi (retired in tests), Darren Sammy (retired in tests) and players like Ryder and Pietersen who are currently not being selected due to disciplinary issues.

- Batting Lineup
- Seam Bowling Unit (everywhere)
- Home Bowling Unit (including spin)
- All Rounders

Batting

1. South Africa
2. Sri Lanka
3. Australia
4. Pakistan
5. India
6. England
7. New Zealand
8. West Indies
9. Bangladesh
10. Zimbabwe

Bowling (Seam Only)

1. South Africa
2. Australia
3. England
4. New Zealand
5. Pakistan
6. India
7. Sri Lanka
8. West Indies
9. Bangladesh
10. Zimbabwe

Bowling ( At Home )

1. England
2. South Africa
3. India
4. Australia
5. New Zealand
6. Pakistan
7. Sri Lanka
8. West Indies
9. Bangladesh
10. Zimbabwe

All Rounders

1. South Africa ( De Villiers, Philander, Steyn )
2. Australia ( Watson, Johnson, Haddin, Siddle)
3. England ( Broad, Prior, Stokes )
4. India ( Ashwin, Jadeja, Dhoni )
5. New Zealand ( Anderson, Watling, Williamson, Neesham )
6. Bangladesh ( Shakib Al Hasan )

The rest.

Blocky

Banned
This was actually harder than imagined due to the incredibly long period without any test cricket recently.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
India should 2nd on the batting lineup rankings at the lowest, IMO. They're miles better than Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Australia.

Pakistan especially have a very weak batting lineup at the moment.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
India should 2nd on the batting lineup rankings at the lowest, IMO.
In ODI/Short Form - Yes.
In Tests? They're so heavily reliant on Pujara and Kohli that it's hard to rank them higher due to inconsistency and their slide down the ladder recently.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
In ODI/Short Form - Yes.
In Tests? They're so heavily reliant on Pujara and Kohli that it's hard to rank them higher due to inconsistency and their slide down the ladder recently.
Vijay and Rahane scored runs against Steyn and co in South Africa.
Dhawan and Rahane, and to a lesser extent Rohit scored runs against NZ in NZ.

Blocky

Banned
Shakib is also miles better than most of the no-rounders you've listed there.
Yeah, but the team unit really only has him there - the keeper batsman isn't making great runs and they don't really have massive contributions from anyone else as an all rounder in the side. That was the comparison point, basically "What is your 6, 7, 8" contributing to the unit, with a few exceptions (Watson and Aussie)

India in the last two years have really struggled to put together test wins and have slid massively from first.
Pakistan have been consistently picking off more favoured sides on the back of batting by Younus Khan, Misbah Ul Haq and Azhar Ali.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan have been consistently picking off more favoured sides on the back of batting by Younus Khan, Misbah Ul Haq and Azhar Ali.
Pakistan gonna Pakistan, to be honest. It also involves losing to Zimbabwe, and capitulating against the worst pace attack in the world (Sri Lanka) and the second-worst spin bowling attack in the world (South Africa).

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, but the team unit really only has him there - the keeper batsman isn't making great runs and they don't really have massive contributions from anyone else as an all rounder in the side. That was the comparison point, basically "What is your 6, 7, 8" contributing to the unit, with a few exceptions (Watson and Aussie)

India in the last two years have really struggled to put together test wins and have slid massively from first.
Uhhh Bangladesh have Rahim and about a dozen half decent number 8s. It's their greatest strength, it's the rest of the team that lets them down.

Blocky

Banned
Uhhh Bangladesh have Rahim and about a dozen half decent number 8s. It's their greatest strength, it's the rest of the team that lets them down.
Cmon now - Rahim and those "half dozen number 8s" wouldn't make any side not named Bangladesh or Zimbabwe.

Shakib would probably make every side in world cricket.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think his point is that Rahim is batting at like, 4 or 5 or something so isn't really part of that lower order/allrounder region.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Some of you may know that I quite like Peter Siddle, but to include him as an all rounder is clutching at straws. Perhaps you could include James Faulkner though, but I guess he is yet to debut.

Its a tough ask though, compiling four lists and not have any disagreements. For the bowling at home, I quite like your list, I would probably switch around South Africa and England but England have been great at home for quite a long period, oh and switch Sri Lanka and Pakistan around too.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I think it's one of the worst periods for Pak. Our batting is no where near that high and our bowling is one of the worst in the world atm.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
I think it's one of the worst periods for Pak. Our batting is no where near that high and our bowling is one of the worst in the world atm.
I beg to differ, your all round bowling attack is pretty ****ing good. Two quality spinners and the pacers might not be Wasim and Waqar but Junaid would make any side in the world right now and tall **** is well above average too.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Batting:
South Africa --> India --> Australia --> Sri Lanka --> England --> Pakistan --> New Zealand --> West Indies --> Bangladesh --> Zimbabwe

Fast Bowling:

South Africa --> Australia --> England --> New Zealand --> Pakistan --> West Indies --> India --> Sri Lanka --> Zimbabwe --> Bangladesh

Spin Bowling:
Pakistan --> India --> Sri Lanka --> West Indies --> Bangladesh --> Australia --> South Africa --> England --> Zimbabwe --> New Zealand

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Batting:

South Africa
India
Australia
England
Sri Lanka
New Zealand
Pakistan
West Indies
Bangladesh
Zimbabwe

SC Bowling:

Pakistan
India
Australia
Sri Lanka
South Africa
England
WI
NZ
Bangladesh
Zimbabwe

Away from SC Bowling:

South Africa
Australia
England
NZ
Pakistan
WI
India
Sri Lanka
Zimbabwe
Bangladesh

Flem274*

123/5
I beg to differ, your all round bowling attack is pretty ****ing good. Two quality spinners and the pacers might not be Wasim and Waqar but Junaid would make any side in the world right now and tall **** is well above average too.
yeah pakistan have a lot of quality cricketers in the team. their only problem is they're all due to retire in two minutes. Younis, Misbah and Ajmal are huge losses. Junaid is carrying the young brigade atm.