• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bazball final verdict

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The fact the openers got runs actually probably makes it the most successful Bazball yet, from game 3 onwards. It’s the best team we’ve faced in this era, and hence the drawn series so you obviously can’t claim unequivocal success. But Root was still coming in at 20-2 a lot last summer, whereas I only really remember that happening when we were unfairly made to bat in the dark at Edgbaston in this series.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, but that's not the question.

pre-Ashes bazball >> Ashes bazball >>> pre-Bazball
Nah I don't agree with that.....you have to factor in the quality of opposition. This is possibly the best Aussie side to tour since 2005. Plus bazball took a massive hit in NZ......not winning there hurt it's rep big time:p So bazball didn't come into the Ashes without question marks.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was another spectacular non-winning effort from Bazball, so pretty much the same as in NZ, only worse because they were saving test cricket at home this time. By not winning. Or something.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
It was another spectacular non-winning effort from Bazball, so pretty much the same as in NZ, only worse because they were saving test cricket at home this time. By not winning. Or something.
This is your perception, but England (and Bazball) scored more runs and took more wickets than Australia.

Molehill

International Captain
Bazball on the field worked very well apart from Lord's. It was Bazball off the field which ****ed up in NZ and Edgbaston.

Best Aussie team since 2005 sent home without winning again. I'm starting to wonder if them winning here will happen in my lifetime.

Burgey

Bazball on the field worked very well apart from Lord's. It was Bazball off the field which ****ed up in NZ and Edgbaston.

Best Aussie team since 2005 sent home without winning again. I'm starting to wonder if them winning here will happen in my lifetime.
I’m thinking the same about England winning a match here. This soap dodging jibber is ridiculous. It’s the equivalent of SL fans saying “yeah but how do Aus go in the SC, huh?!?!” when they’ve literally never won a test here. Baby steps for both of you first. Win a test first. Just one.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I’m thinking the same about England winning a match here. This soap dodging jibber is ridiculous. It’s the equivalent of SL fans saying “yeah but how do Aus go in the SC, huh?!?!” when they’ve literally never won a test here. Baby steps for both of you first. Win a test first. Just one.
Win a series against us without cheating you cantankerous buffoon

Burgey

“Australian side in transition” says bloke whose team has three current seam bowlers who’ll be north of 35 by the next tour out here and need replacing in the interim, and whose best bat will be rising 35 by then.

Even when not full of the cricketing equivalent of aged geldings, England perform terribly here. They are like Pakistan and SL these days. They lose a leg when they come through customs at Sydney, then lose a couple of players to retirement by about the third test of every tour. Sad.

Molehill

International Captain
“Australian side in transition” says bloke whose team has three current seam bowlers who’ll be north of 35 by the next tour out here and need replacing in the interim, and whose best bat will be rising 35 by then.

Even when not full of the cricketing equivalent of aged geldings, England perform terribly here. They are like Pakistan and SL these days. They lose a leg when they come through customs at Sydney, then lose a couple of players to retirement by about the third test of every tour. Sad.
It's all about striking when the opportunity presents itself. Australia lulled into a false sense security by previous series, think they can get away with 2 new openers, 2 new seamers and a spinner (plus Smith being so old he hasn't even got the energy to shadow bat anymore).

England have already given caps to 3 seamers under 30, the plan is in place. Next Aussie cabs will retire before the current first string will....might want to remove head from sand to see the mess Aussie Cricket is about to walk into.

You heard it here first....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, but that's not the question.

pre-Ashes bazball >> Ashes bazball >>> pre-Bazball
I don’t think so. The Bazball approach clearly rattled the Aussie bowlers, even someone like Cummins. England were the better team the last three tests of the series. Essentially they did much better than any reasonable fan expected against their toughest opponents so far in the Bazball era.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yes this (and India in India) would be the ultimate test for Bazball…

Chin Music

State 12th Man
8 pages in and no consensus, guess we can't have a final verdict just yet
As has been said further up the thread, a true analysis can't be had until 'Bazball' is no more. It met the toughest opponent so far in terms of a full series. It wasn't an unbounded success and wasn't a true failure either. It really does need new bowling legs, but they might very well be out there.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I think more than the tactical change of Bazball is the mentality switch and I think that has been an unequivocal success, because somehow McCullum has managed to make every England player believe in their core that they are as good if not better than their counterpart opposition. This was just simply not apparent during Root's captaincy and was evident with defensive bowling (we aren't good enough to get you out), defensive fields (we hope you make a mistake) and defensive batting lineups (Burns opening, saving Root, Moeen at 7 etc). It was always damage limitation from the outset, and was laid out to ensure that as many mistakes could happen whilst still being in the Test match.

Bazball is about backing yourself against your opposite number. I'll get more wickets, I'll get more runs, it won't work every time but because I believe I am better it will come off >50%. And this has made all the difference with the results. You can see this more as England grew into the series vs Australia as they actually started to believe their own hype, it was almost farcical towards the end for the Aussies.

Mind games. Australia were an amazingly talented team in the naughties, but it was their mindset which made them better than Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India all of which had world-beating players.