• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battrick

cnerd123

likes this
The Astronauts vs Koalas Friendly FC game is tantalizingly poised - we've set them 243 to chase in 53 overs. The carrot has been dangled and the part-timers will not get a bowl this innings. Let's see how this pans out.

cnerd123

likes this
Great game @Jarquis. A hard-fought draw.

Robot Koalas selected 5 1st XI and 6 2nd XI players for this game. Still carrying a higher wage bill than the Ashgrove Astronauts, but rating lower on BatStats, which suggests a fairly even game.

And so it played out. RKCC elected bat first and scored 358, bowled out early on Day 2. Imrul Ashraful (1st XI) lead the way from 3 with the top score of 84, and there were also fifties for skipper and opener Sajith Edirimuni (2nd XI, 68) and young gun Tareq Mahmud (1st XI, 58 of just 55). Nuwarapaksha (2nd XI) and Kamal (2nd XI) both made contributions too, while keeper Kekulawala (2nd XI) gritted through 'worthless' form to score his first runs of the season. RKCC actually ended Day 1 on 353/7, but were bowled out 3 overs into Day 2.

20 year old spearhead Ross Bower (RM) led the attack for the Astronauts, bowling 29 overs for 4/67. He was supported well by veteran Keith Mcgivern (LM, 3/64), and also 20 year old spinner Steven Green (RFS, 2/32). They were offset by the looseness of paceman Hegarthy (RFM) and 17 year old spinner Howard (RFS). Together they bowled 45 overs for 183 runs and just 1 wicket. It's interesting that Green bowled only 18 overs on a Dry wicket. He was outbowled by the entire seam attack and Howard, who delivered 26 far less successful overs in the innings.

Following the bright start by their bowlers, the Astronauts put on an enterprising effort with the bat. They were bowled out within the day, but not before scoring 348 - only 10 short of the Koalas! 20 year old Garth Watts batted well at 3, scoring 66, but lacked support from rest of the top order, and was 4th out at 137. That's when RKCC provided a bit of generosity of their own. Batters Nuwarapaksha, Hensleman and Kamal served up 28 overs of 'woeful' seam up bowling, conceding 140 runs for just one wicket. Bachar Uddin unexpectedly top scored for the Astronauts with 88 coming in at 6, putting on valuable partnerships with Green (45) and senior pro Farren Myer at 7, who became the Astronaut's third half-centurion with 51. Mazharul Ashraful (1st XI) got his name onto the Ashgrove Astronauts CG honors board with 5-40 from his 18 overs, while the other front line bowlers did well too. It was the 28 overs delivered by the part-timers, in the 'friendly nature' of the game, that proved to be costly.

RKCC came out to bat with a hand of overs left till close, and Bower capped out an excelled day for the Astronauts by removing Edirimuni on the very first ball! The Koalas made it to the close without any further damage, with the lead now at 43.

The Koalas came out on Day 3 and struggled on the now wearing deck. Green wheeled through 17 overs for 3 wickets and just 36 runs, while Bower got through 13 for 1/33. Imrul Ashraful batted with authority again, but fell short of a century yet again - c Bower b Green for 94. He tackled their bowling well, and scored more freely off the support cast. Tareq Mahmud provided some much needed impetus upon his arrival at the crease, and scored 49 off just 31 balls, denied of his 50 because of the team's declaration. A selfless innings indeed. RKCC set the hosts 243 to chase in 53 overs, giving the 892 people in present the opportunity to witness an exciting finish.

RKCC opened the bowling with the spin of M. Ashraful and the pace of Haque. The bowling quality was top notch, and the Astronauts openers opted for survival. The first 7 overs brought just 2 runs, and the 13 overs until tea only 17. Dropped catches, chaotic running, fierce bowling and gritty survival characterized the final session of play, with the Astronauts holding on for the draw 6 wickets down. Perhaps the declaration could have come sooner for RKCC, perhaps the plans and lines more aggressive, but they too wanted to ensure that defeat would not be an option. Young prospect Farhad Jubair (2nd XI) impressed in the final spell of the day, delivering 10 blistering overs for 17 runs and 3 wickets.

Overall a fair result in the first ever Friendly FC game between the two clubs. Looking forward to the rematch at our ground next time!

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Love the write up. Howard bowling so many first innings was odd tstl as the orders are not set up for that. Have adjusted to try and ensure that Green bowls more in the future!

thanks for the game

cnerd123

likes this
Pakistan U19s
Pakistan U19 manager Blako has been removed from the U19 manager position, and has also been removed from the game. Assistant manager Zaryab has been installed as the new Pakistan U19 manager.http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/javascript:void(0)
As is our usual practice, we do not discuss penalties with anyone other than the manager concerned, but we can confirm that Blako breached a number of game rules, some of which were intended to give an unfair advantage to the Pakistan U19 team. Rumours that he was banned because of his posts on the sledging boards are simply not true.

We consider this matter to be closed and do not intend to make any further comment.

wtf happened here

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan U19s
Pakistan U19 manager Blako has been removed from the U19 manager position, and has also been removed from the game. Assistant manager Zaryab has been installed as the new Pakistan U19 manager.http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/javascript:void(0)
As is our usual practice, we do not discuss penalties with anyone other than the manager concerned, but we can confirm that Blako breached a number of game rules, some of which were intended to give an unfair advantage to the Pakistan U19 team. Rumours that he was banned because of his posts on the sledging boards are simply not true.

We consider this matter to be closed and do not intend to make any further comment.

wtf happened here
Kenya management also got in a little hot soup for youth pull related things, so I guess it is that area.

cnerd123

likes this
Kenya management also got in a little hot soup for youth pull related things, so I guess it is that area.
apparently Pakistani managers have been buying Kenyan Week 1 17 YO YPS with no intention to train them. So Kenya has lost a a lot of potential U19 talent, and Blako as the Pak U19 Manager has been pinned as the ringmaster behind this sabotage

Brilliant.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
apparently Pakistani managers have been buying Kenyan Week 1 17 YO YPS with no intention to train them. So Kenya has lost a a lot of potential U19 talent, and Blako as the Pak U19 Manager has been pinned as the ringmaster behind this sabotage

Brilliant.
That was the thing.

cnerd123

likes this
He was extremely vocal on the sledging boards about the changes to ME and Player Development too

Wonder if he'll join Stumped now :ph34r:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kinda feel like I’m missing the point with this anyway - like, I get it’s ‘poor form’ but it’s not exactly cheating. Anyone else could have bought those players…

cnerd123

likes this
Yea pretty cool we're in the same FC League! I've barely had time to set orders lately otherwise I'd have toned down my playing XI to match yours, make it a bit closer.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
One of my mboys got into the u19s and I am proud of him. It also means I had to splash out on a back up all rounder to fill the gap when he needs resting or is picked for the Nat team

Himannv

International Coach
Yea pretty cool we're in the same FC League! I've barely had time to set orders lately otherwise I'd have toned down my playing XI to match yours, make it a bit closer.
Ended up a draw in the end. I reckon my bowlers didn't do enough, but the batsmen did alright - I'm a bit surprised since I felt batting was where we needed help.