• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Test Innings

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
C_C said:
Laxman and this is an easy one ( my suspicion is that it will boil down to Laxman's 281 and Lara's 153*).
Jono said:
Yeah if I were to put money on a final that'd be it.
Damn, close but no cigar. Bradman's 334 is a worthy finalist though.

Anyway in this contest I'll vote Laxman. Gooch's knock was fantastic, and he had very little support, however it was less 'back-to-the-wall' if you ask me. Plus, Laxman's 1st innings knock of 59 should be taken into account too since earlier in this thread it was mentioned that its a player's contribution to the whole test, not just the innings (as seen with Border's 100 and 98).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I may be biased as I was at the Headingley game in question but I doubt it.

Goochs knock of 154* on a ***** of a track against an all-world bowling attack when the next highest was 27 was incredible. By far the best Ive ever seen in the flesh and Im not sure I will see the like of it again. That track was virtually unplayble on and it was unbelievable.

Laxmans innings is special as it was following on and helped India win in very unlikely circumstances. However, I think the game was more special than his innings and his innings is devalued by the fact that Dravid got a very big ton at the other end and he was not dismissed by a bowler (run-out). Again a great innings but more from a special game.

Goochs inning on an absolute brute of a track gets my vote.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I'm voting Gooch, but I suspect it may be a futile excercise
A shame really as IMO its the best innings of my lifetime (Im open to the fact that there may have been better before I arrived). I guess the scorecard doesn't translate the achievement.

Well, its democracy in action so I have no complaints whatever the result.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
A shame really as IMO its the best innings of my lifetime (Im open to the fact that there may have been better before I arrived). I guess the scorecard doesn't translate the achievement.

Well, its democracy in action so I have no complaints whatever the result.
The preponderance of Indian will always mean that the results of polls such as these will always be skewed. Though some of us are perfectly capable of differentiating between team loyalty and good cricket, thats not true for everyone. If this was an English/Aussie forum, then the knocks played in the Ashes would undoubtedly get more votes than they probably deserve. Not sure what can be done about it.

My vote doesn't count, but if it did, I don't know if I could vote for any innings other than Laxman. I am not sure if its because I'm an Indian fan or not, but it was such an amazing innings...I just can't look past what it meant in that context. I didn't see the Gooch innings, and I saw the Laxman. And it was magnificent.

And I don't use that term lightly, the only other innings I would characterize as such (among the ones I saw) would be Lara 153*.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Just to add to what I said earlier:

You have to look at it context:

Here was an Australian team at the top of its game. India had been blown out of the first test, and Australia had 16 consecutive Test victories. When Australia enforced the follow on, it seemed that Australia would finally win a series on Indian soil.

And then came an innings in the second innings, aganist McGrath, Warne, and Gillespie where virtually no chances were given. Waugh described it as some of the best batting he'd ever seen, and it was hard to argue. From being completely dominated for a test and a half, he turned the tables, and the Indians dominated the aussies within the span of one day. Yes, Dravid was there to support and his contributions should not be minimized...but it was easily Laxmans' day.

EDIT: And he also scored 59 in the first innings.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Gooch

I'm sorry but a stand-alone 153* on an early 90's Headingley wicket against Ambrose, Walsh, Patterson and Marshall is worth far more than laxman's knock.

You wanna know how bad this track was? An attack consisting of Pringle, Watkin, DeFreitas and Malcolm managed to bowl away the West indies for 162 and 173.

That my friends is the best example of a difficult wicket.