• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle Of The Fieldsmen

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
From the 1st couple of posts I see that Botham isnt there. He was one of the alltime great slippers.

Also Baron Constantine, of Maraval in Trinidad and Tobago, and of Nelson, in the County Palatine of Lancaster was an exceptional fielder deserving of any such list.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
1) Ricky Ponting
2) Mark Waugh
3) Mark Taylor
4) Roger Harper
5) Viv Richards
6) Clive Lloyd
7) Derek Randall
8) Jonty Rhodes
9) Herschelle Gibbs
10) Bob Simpson
11) Garry Sobers
12) Gus Logie
13) Sachin Tendulkar
14) Mohammad Kaif
15) Yuvraj Singh
16) Paul Collingwood
17) Mohammad Azharuddin
18) Trescothick
19) Suresh Raina
20) Brian Lara
21) Andrew Flintoff
22) Ian Chappell
23) Mike Hussey
24) Ajay Jadeja
25) Greg Chappell
26) Paul Strang
27) Tillakaratne Dilshan
28) Roshan Mahanama
29) Dwayne Bravo
30) Andrew Symonds
31) Michael Clarke
32) Wally Hammond
33) Dwayne Smith
34) Ian Botham
35) Steve Waugh
36) Colin Bland
37) Lou Vincent
38) David Boon
39) Stephen Fleming
40) Eknath Solkar,
41) Chris Harris
42) Monty Noble
43) Matthew Hayden
44) Aakash Chopra
45) Mathew Hayden
46) Gilbert Jessop
47) Brian McMillan
48) Chris Cairns

So I have a reviewed list of 48 here... Now the following people are those, as others have mentioned, that we should consider.

Clem Hill
KS Duleepsinhji
Grant Flower
Syed Abid Ali

Which of these players do you believe should be in the final list of 48... and also who would you like for him to replace? Btw is there any creative way we could do this, because many people will have different opinions.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Turbinator said:
Which of these players do you believe should be in the final list of 48... and also who would you like for him to replace? Btw is there any creative way we could do this, because many people will have different opinions.
Why not have 64 in your final list, then? You wouldn't have to blatantly ignore my suggestions then, arsewipe. :p

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It foxes me (thats being polite) that Learie Constantine cant make a list populated by some merely decent fielders.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Why not have 64 in your final list, then? You wouldn't have to blatantly ignore my suggestions then, arsewipe. :p
LOL my bad I totally forgot to add your suggestion, sorry man, my bad.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok you know what let's just have a list of 64!

1) Ricky Ponting
2) Mark Waugh
3) Mark Taylor
4) Roger Harper
5) Viv Richards
6) Clive Lloyd
7) Derek Randall
8) Jonty Rhodes
9) Herschelle Gibbs
10) Bob Simpson
11) Garry Sobers
12) Gus Logie
13) Sachin Tendulkar
14) Mohammad Kaif
15) Yuvraj Singh
16) Paul Collingwood
17) Mohammad Azharuddin
18) Trescothick
19) Suresh Raina
20) Brian Lara
21) Andrew Flintoff
22) Ian Chappell
23) Mike Hussey
24) Ajay Jadeja
25) Greg Chappell
26) Paul Strang
27) Tillakaratne Dilshan
28) Roshan Mahanama
29) Dwayne Bravo
30) Andrew Symonds
31) Michael Clarke
32) Wally Hammond
33) Dwayne Smith
34) Ian Botham
35) Steve Waugh
36) Colin Bland
37) Lou Vincent
38) David Boon
39) Stephen Fleming
40) Eknath Solkar
41) Chris Harris
42) Monty Noble
43) Matthew Hayden
44) Aakash Chopra
45) Mathew Hayden
46) Gilbert Jessop
47) Brian McMillan
48) Chris Cairns
49) Learie Constantine
50) Clem Hill
51) KS Duleepsinhji
52) Grant Flower
53) Syed Abid Ali
54) Rahul Dravid
55) Shane Warne
56) Neil Harvey Fairbrother
57) Brian Lara
58) Brett Lee

We need 6 more...

EDIT: I am persisting with Lara... IMO he's pretty darn good, even at this age. Also, whatever, the average fielders will anyway get knocked out the first round, most likely.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well Joe Solomon had one of the most famous runouts in history.

You could also potentially add 2 of the best short legs in the pre-helmet era in Brian Close and Tony Lock. Also if you want to reward someone for hard work, Boycott worked his ass of to become a very good fielder from poor beginings. He is often used as the poster child for hard work improving fielding.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its a shame that the circumstances of another thread brought Graham Roope up. He does however, belong on this list. May be the best fielder to play for England.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Lee is there then Chris Cairns should be, he was a better fielder than Lee.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
^ I'm pretty sure Cairns is in there. There's plenty of good outfielders around the world and I don't see that Lee is clearly better than any of them. Someone like Daryl Tuffey is just as good as Lee - takes all his catches, fields well of his own bowling and has a strong arm.

Anyway, how many slots are there left to fill? Jeremy Coney was a very good slip fielder, if someone like Hayden or Trescothick can get in there's no reason why he can't.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not so sure about "Neil Harvey Fairbrother" or the second inclusion of Matthew Hayden.

How about Hamish Marshall? He's a pretty good fielder, certainly better than someone like Brian Lara. Allan Border wasn't bad either, especially in one dayers.

cameeel

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm not so sure about "Neil Harvey Fairbrother" or the second inclusion of Matthew Hayden.

How about Hamish Marshall? He's a pretty good fielder, certainly better than someone like Brian Lara. Allan Border wasn't bad either, especially in one dayers.
Border should definitely be included. In his prime at midwicket he was at least the equal of Michael Clarke.