• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Cricketers

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Go_India said:
Ok i have had enough, stop playing jokes on our bowler. He is excellent, maybe not a legend yet.
No, you've got it the wrong way around. He's a legend, but he isn't good.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha-ha-ha!! :laugh:

I've got a pretty good idea along which lines the voting on this battle is going to be divided! Larwood was a very good bowler who had one great series. Tragically, for one reason or another, he never played for England again after 32/33. Thomson was the junior partner in Australia's fastest opening pair. I'm sure the barrage Lillian Thomson served up was every bit as potentially leathal as Lol's bumpers way back when, admittedly without the leg theory field to back it up tho.

Ultimately I'm voting for Larwood tho, partly because of 33 wickets @ 19.52 but mainly because he came across as a decent man of quiet dignity & Thommo, frankly, doesn't.

EDIT: Just seen Rubble's vote. Splitter!! :p

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Thommo amuses me a lot with his comments though - commentators must always be on tenterhooks when commentating with him incase a swear word slips out! :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Both were bowlers who finished with career records that didn't really reflect their ability at their peak. Thommo's peak was phenomenal though, and around 1975 he was one of the most destructive bowlers in history, so I'll go for Thommo.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Ha-ha-ha!! :laugh:

I've got a pretty good idea along which lines the voting on this battle is going to be divided! Larwood was a very good bowler who had one great series. Tragically, for one reason or another, he never played for England again after 32/33. Thomson was the junior partner in Australia's fastest opening pair. I'm sure the barrage Lillian Thomson served up was every bit as potentially leathal as Lol's bumpers way back when, admittedly without the leg theory field to back it up tho.

Ultimately I'm voting for Larwood tho, partly because of 33 wickets @ 19.52 but mainly because he came across as a decent man of quiet dignity & Thommo, frankly, doesn't.

EDIT: Just seen Rubble's vote. Splitter!! :p
Same vote for me for similar reasons - despite his apparent fondness for wanting to kill anything wearing a baggy green cap, Larwood seems, from what I've seen and read, to be quite a decent person; in stark contrast to Jardine, who's simply evil. :p On a cricketing note, I haven't seen terribly much of either but I don't think the gap would have been particularly great.

So, Larwood it is.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Havent seen either live thankfully not being that old.

Larwood had a greater impact because of his role in body line. On impact (no pun intended) I vote for Harold Larwood.