• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Cricketers

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Jamee999 said:
16-8 to Garner

ROUND ONE ----- BATTLE TWO

Wasim Akram

Courtney Walsh

Can't believe one of these two has to go out so early.

I'm going to go for Wasim Akram, because I think if he'd had the longevity that Walsh had he'd probably have taken close to as many wickets. There's not much to separate them as bowlers really - but Wasim's teaching of reverse-swing to Andrew Flintoff means he can lay claim to more Test wickets than were taken by his own deliveries. A good few of Flintoff's Ashes wickets belonged to Wasim, and plenty of others from bowlers such as Shoaib Akhtar, Mohammad Sami etc. Wasim's long-term legacy to the game means he gets the vote, and although batting ability shouldn't really come into this, let's not forget he was also a good enough batsman to score a Test 250, something the likes of both Waughs, Tendulkar, Stewart and many other batsmen never did.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think with only 32 runners in the comp there's going to be some big name fallers in the first round, certainly one here.

Both have so much to recommend them as bowlers, Wasim could obviously move the ball a lot more but Walsh got that extra bit of bounce from his greater height. For a long time Walsh was the "enforcer" of the Windies attack, Ambrose was more of a metronome but Courtney was more than willing to come short to see what a batter was made of. I remember him being castigated for one spell of viciously hostile stuff he bowled to dear old Dev Malcolm, the ultimate ferret. Of course the irony was Walsh as a batter was almost as ill-equipped to deal with fast bouncers as Devon!

Wasim was certainly the better cricketer of the two, but as we're only rating them as bowlers the decision is a bit tighter. It's pretty much a 50/50 call, but I think his slightly greater variety leans me towards

Wasim

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Wasim, probably the best left arm quick ever.

BTW Jamee, have you got any more of these planned like, Battle of the Spinners, Battle of the Batsmen (minus Bradman), Battle of the Keepers etc.