• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Cricketers

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
16-11 Bradman WITH SOME TIME REMAINING

Just wanted to announce the next leg of Battle of the Cricketers.

THE GREATEST FAST BOWLER

Who is it? The Search is on!

Will it be one of the armoury of West Indians? Or some of the Englishman from years gone by? Maybe a great Australian? Or a wildcard from some other corner of the world?

Will start tomorrow night most likely.

For now, I'm throwing it open to the floor, have you any thoughts on the format? Who should be included? Should there be any form of seeding? Who shoudn't be included!?

Open to you.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Jamee999 said:
16-11 Bradman WITH SOME TIME REMAINING

Just wanted to announce the next leg of Battle of the Cricketers.

THE GREATEST FAST BOWLER

Who should be included? Should there be any form of seeding? Who shoudn't be included!?

Open to you.
Include...

Lillee
Lindwall
McGrath
Davidson
Thomson
Gillespie
Trueman
Bedser
Statham
Larwood
Tyson
Snow
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Ambrose
Hall
Roberts
Walsh
Croft
Hadlee
Cowie
Kapil
Imran
Waqar
Wasim
Shoaib
Fazal
Streak
Donald
Pollock
Adcock

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Big Bob Willis?

& how about "The Demon" Spofforth?

Miller & Botham too, possibly? The two bodyline Bills, Voce & Bowes?

Slifer

International Captain
And from the WI i would include Ian Bishop. Great Idea though but if i were u i would seed men such as Mcgrath, Marshall, Hadlee and others so that these big names donot go out earlier than they should.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
Include...

Lillee
Lindwall
McGrath
Davidson
Thomson
Trueman
Bedser
Statham
Larwood
Tyson
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Ambrose
Hall
Roberts
Walsh
Hadlee
Kapil
Imran
Waqar
Wasim
Streak
Donald
Pollock
Adcock
Willis
Botham
Miller
Spofforth
Bishop
Harmison
Deleted 5 from your list, and added 5 from others.

Just an offical note.

DONALD BRADMAN WINS BATTLE OF THE CRICKETERS

Will do a draw tonight, probably start the new competition tomorrow.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
I wanted Sobers to win but alas. Anyway great idea that James thanks for the entertainment. Keep up the good work!!!

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I'm thinking of ditching the pictures.

It's not any real effort, just wondering if you guys liked them or not?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Jamee999 said:
Deleted 5 from your list, and added 5 from others.

Just an offical note.

Harmison you gotta be kidding me. What's he ever done against a decent side - against teams outside the bottom three he has 70 Test wickets @ 38. Easily worse than any of those you have dropped. If you must include one of England's current crop pick Flintoff - much more consistent and a real test for even the finest of batsmen.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
a massive zebra said:
Harmison you gotta be kidding me. What's he ever done against a decent side - against teams outside the bottom three he has 70 Test wickets @ 38. Easily worse than any of those you have dropped. If you must include one of England's current crop pick Flintoff - much more consistent and a real test for even the finest of batsmen.
I'd agree Flintoff is the better shout, but someone like Terry Alderman or even Fanie De Villiers would be a better shout than either IMHO.

Or Peter Pollock maybe?

twctopcat

International Regular
Jamee999 said:
I'm thinking of ditching the pictures.

It's not any real effort, just wondering if you guys liked them or not?
Keep them for sure if its not too much trouble. Makes for entertaining viewing. :)

a massive zebra

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
I'd agree Flintoff is the better shout, but someone like Terry Alderman or even Fanie De Villiers would be a better shout than either IMHO.

Or Peter Pollock maybe?
Yes all of them would be a much better bet, as would the five from my original list that he subsequently rejected. Also, irrespective of his quality and mystical status, Spofforth was not a fast bowler by modern standards. Richard Cashman, in his biography of the great man, estimated Spofforth's average pace to be around 70mph with a faster ball no higher than 80 - in other words, Mark Ealham pace.

Last edited: