• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ban venues for preparing dead pitches.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
I wasn’t comparing the 2 but since you brought it up

I am watching the test in Pakistan and find it oddly compelling in spite of the turgid pitch

However, it’s definitely not for everyone

Just seems to me that T20 is attractive to the casuals because it’s done & dusted in a short period of time with lots of hitting and no draws
You find it compelling...despite knowing it's hardly a contest with no result.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously, these pitches do nothing for test cricket, which let's face is in crisis in much of the test playing world.

We've got 2 tests going on at the moment and both highlight the problems the game faces.

In Perth we've got a mismatch. Everyone knows the Aussies will win and win comfortably.

In Rawalpindi, the result was also known before the match started due to the pitch.

One of the reasons why T20 is so popular is the battle between the teams is much more even. Before the match starts, the outcome is much harder to predict.

Sport needs uncertainty. The result needs to be in doubt. In test cricket around the world this doesn't happen enough - its far too predictable and its no wonder the appetite for the game is dwindling.
I mean, every sport in the world has a lot of mismatches, and the poor teams/players aren’t going to improve just by playing other poor teams/players, thats how you end up with eternal minnows. Also idgaf about the result in Perth (mainly cos I’m a confident Aussie) but is anyone else happy that Tagenarine had a quality first innings in tests?

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I mean, every sport in the world has a lot of mismatches, and the poor teams/players aren’t going to improve just by playing other poor teams/players, thats how you end up with eternal minnows. Also idgaf about the result in Perth (mainly cos I’m a confident Aussie) but is anyone else happy that Tagenarine had a quality first innings in tests?
Every sport does have mismatches - no doubt about that but test cricket has a particular problem with it.

First up is the massive advantage of being at home - and this is getting worse.

Also in tests, the mismatch goes on for at least matches, sometimes 5.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
In this technological age why can't we play on an artificial surface? A neutral pitch which has no advantage to anyone. That will provide a good contest.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still one of the worst pitches I have seen, dad was very happy though as 5 days of a run feast still saw us win. They probably won't get any punishment but they should. Was hard viewing.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In this technological age why can't we play on an artificial surface? A neutral pitch which has no advantage to anyone. That will provide a good contest.
I reckon they have something called a 'flat pitch powerplay' for the bowlers. This would entail them choosing something from the dressing room to place on the pitch on a good length every 10-15 overs to increase the chance of getting a wicket - could be coins, protectors, gloves, pads, golf balls, rocks etc etc. There's nothing funnier than seeing a batsman play a forward defensive shot to a ball that goes over his head.