• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ban venues for preparing dead pitches.

Shady Slim

International Coach
well this can happen right?
mcg pitch a couple of years ago got a harsh talking to and since then the pitches there have been a lot better

Xix2565

International Debutant
Wonder how much pitch history gets rewritten if one team isn't able to match the other team in making huge scores.

Xix2565

International Debutant
I bet you it's a dead pitch and a drawn game. I don't see this pitch breaking up.
I meant more in general. Sometimes pitches get reclassified in hindsight for various reasons, and I'm wondering if it is completely to the point of revising history.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I meant more in general. Sometimes pitches get reclassified in hindsight for various reasons, and I'm wondering if it is completely to the point of revising history.
IMO it's mostly because the team batting first has a huge advantage. Even if the pitch is super flat, being kept in the field for 2 days is exhausting and it's not uncommon for the team batting second to collapse as a result. Then it looks like the pitch wasn't as flat as it was because one team ****ed up on it

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I've always been more of a fan of watching bowlers taking heaps of wickets over batsmen scoring loads of runs. But for the last decade or more the battle between bat and ball has swung the bowlers way big time.

I'd hate to see a return to Perth and Islamabad becoming the norm again....but im not against the occasional bat dominating ball.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've always been more of a fan of watching bowlers taking heaps of wickets over batsmen scoring loads of runs. But for the last decade or more the battle between bat and ball has swung the bowlers way big time.

I'd hate to see a return to Perth and Islamabad becoming the norm again....but im not against the occasional bat dominating ball.
Really?

There’s been a few bowler friendly pitches but I don’t recall it as being any different

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Guys and gals..are u really watching this crap or like me only viewing the notification updates on the mobile?

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Obviously, these pitches do nothing for test cricket, which let's face is in crisis in much of the test playing world.

We've got 2 tests going on at the moment and both highlight the problems the game faces.

In Perth we've got a mismatch. Everyone knows the Aussies will win and win comfortably.

In Rawalpindi, the result was also known before the match started due to the pitch.

One of the reasons why T20 is so popular is the battle between the teams is much more even. Before the match starts, the outcome is much harder to predict.

Sport needs uncertainty. The result needs to be in doubt. In test cricket around the world this doesn't happen enough - its far too predictable and its no wonder the appetite for the game is dwindling.

social

T20 is popular because it’s all action and that’s entertaining

Has nothing to do with “certainty”

We are living in a different generation

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
T20 is popular because it’s all action and that’s entertaining

Has nothing to do with “certainty”

We are living in a different generation
We'll have to agree to disagree mate.

Yes T20 is more all action than tests but the uncertain nature of it massively adds to the appeal.

I love test cricket but who wants to watch 650 plays 650.

One of the reasons test cricket is so popular in England is the quality of the pitches. There's usually something in it for both batters and bowlers - it's usually a pretty fair contest.

The game moves along at good pace and you get very few bore draws and series are usually pretty competitive.

social

We'll have to agree to disagree mate.

Yes T20 is more all action than tests but the uncertain nature of it massively adds to the appeal.

I love test cricket but who wants to watch 650 plays 650.

One of the reasons test cricket is so popular in England is the quality of the pitches. There's usually something in it for both batters and bowlers - it's usually a pretty fair contest.

The game moves along at good pace and you get very few bore draws and series are usually pretty competitive.
I wasn’t comparing the 2 but since you brought it up

I am watching the test in Pakistan and find it oddly compelling in spite of the turgid pitch

However, it’s definitely not for everyone

Just seems to me that T20 is attractive to the casuals because it’s done & dusted in a short period of time with lots of hitting and no draws

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
At the end of the day whether it's a Test or T20... what the people and the players want to see is a contest. Unfortunately, cricket is the only sport which depends a lot on the weather and playing surface.
But it really boggles me why on earth do Pakistan prepare these wickets?