• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bairstow or Brook?

Bairstow or Brook?

• Total voters

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bairstow with the gloves is perfectly fine though.

It would be very hard on Foakes but I don't want him playing instead of Brook, Bairstow or Pope. Number 3 has been as a tricky position to fill as opening so think it would be pretty mad to dump Pope from there when he has done a really good job.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't know why he would?

Before this year he had a better record when playing as a keeper. He might go back to old Bairstow anyway but I don't think it would have anything to do with him keeping or not.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't know why he would?

Before this year he had a better record when playing as a keeper. He might go back to old Bairstow anyway but I don't think it would have anything to do with him keeping or not.
Yeah true, I just figure he gave his best ever year when playing unshackled. Though he did keep for an innings against NZ (I think)

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Ben and Baz both said Bairstow walks back into the team when fit.

Nice headache for the selectors to have.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon Bairstow back in as keeper and Foakes missing out is most likely, harsh though that definitely would be on Foakes.

But it's not a call that can be made now anyway. It was a really nasty injury Bairstow suffered. Sadly no guarantees he'll return back at the same level he was playing at in the summer.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon Bairstow back in as keeper and Foakes missing out is most likely, harsh though that definitely would be on Foakes.

But it's not a call that can be made now anyway. It was a really nasty injury Bairstow suffered. Sadly no guarantees he'll return back at the same level he was playing at in the summer.
Agree it's not something that can or needs to be sorted now but I'm firmly in the camp that Foakes needs to stay. YJB walks back in if fit and Pope and Brook are locks too.

Our real issues in the line up is the openers so fix that and play our best 11. Nothing about this Eng side is orthodox so having anyone of Bairstow, root, Stokes or Pope open I can get on board with......way more than Foakes sitting out and Zac Crawley playing

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Agree it's not something that can or needs to be sorted now but I'm firmly in the camp that Foakes needs to stay. YJB walks back in if fit and Pope and Brook are locks too.

Our real issues in the line up is the openers so fix that and play our best 11. Nothing about this Eng side is orthodox so having anyone of Bairstow, root, Stokes or Pope open I can get on board with......way more than Foakes sitting out and Zac Crawley playing
Looking at it like that, Stokes is the stand-out candidate as we have far more to lose from the others in the top 6 by promoting them up the order.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bizarre how Stokes has become Mike Brearley within a year. Hardly bowls bat's like an idiot but is a genius captain.

Nicky

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think the 3 of them should play. The best emerging batter, one of the best experienced batter, and the best wicket keeper.
Crawley should be released and will improve by playing first class cricket.

Foakes, Duckett, Pope, Root, Brook, Bairstow, Stokes, Robinson, Broad, Leach, Anderson

I thought of opening with Stokes & Duckett, but I think Stokes will be better to bat with the bowlers at the end of an innings, rather than Foakes.
Opening with Foakes would be an experience for sure, but who knows... He showed he could bat through long periods of time.