• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I thought it was common for dudes to keep sandpaper in their kits to maintain their bats, bat weight etc.
Yeah, thirty years ago. I don't know if anyone at Test level really does this anymore given the rate they go through bats and the fact that they're all custom made.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
These corporate brands are desperate to portray this cuddly family image. Wouldn't be the case when cricket was sponsored by beer, cigarettes, razor blades and oil.

Spark

Global Moderator
Won't all the bats have plastic protective covers these days?

An alternate theory I heard from Neil Manthorp is that in order to practice with reverse swing, they used sandpaper to get the balls into the right condition. But even so, not exactly Mensa level stuff

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, thirty years ago. I don't know if anyone at Test level really does this anymore given the rate they go through bats and the fact that they're all custom made.
I only ask because as soon as this discussion came up I thought back to this video

at 3:21, good on Huss to clarify the presence of it immediately.

cnerd123

likes this
I think they chose sandpaper because it's possible to palm it and hide it in your pocket. If they were tampering balls for use in nets why not use something better like a grater or dirt and rocks? Who has the time to sit down and sandpaper away at a ball before nets when there are more effective ways to achieve that?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think they chose sandpaper because it's possible to palm it and hide it in your pocket. If they were tampering balls for use in nets why not use something better like a grater or dirt and rocks? Who has the time to sit down and sandpaper away at a ball before nets when there are more effective ways to achieve that?
Maybe they are trying to get as close to match conditions as possible....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I only ask because as soon as this discussion came up I thought back to this video

at 3:21, good on Huss to clarify the presence of it immediately.

:lol: "NOT for the ball"

Hussey was an old bastard even then though, quite possible it was a bit of a legacy item.

Starfighter

Won't all the bats have plastic protective covers these days?
I thought that tended to be a thing you got on mid-priced sort of bats. The expensive ones and custom ones have a natural face normally. I don't recall anyone in a test match having the plastic over the face, although I have seen tape on the edges.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I thought that tended to be a thing you got on mid-priced sort of bats. The expensive ones and custom ones have a natural face normally. I don't recall anyone in a test match having the plastic over the face, although I have seen tape on the edges.
Yeah I don't think they're taped but I don't think they need to sand them either. I think they more or less just use them until they can find any reason to swap them and then demand a new one. Someone like Jack might know more.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Man this is so gut wrenching to watch Smith addressing the media right now. Definitely feel for the guy.

Gnske

It's like watching a kid forced to apologize to his class, jesus christ

CA better look after these fellas off the field.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, this conference is brutal. He's still admittedly somewhat culpable for the incident but I feel for Smith.

ajdude

International Coach
It's like watching a kid forced to apologize to his class, jesus christ

CA better look after these fellas off the field.
especially smith who actually left school early to take up a career in cricket ffs, the poor bloke knows absolutely nothing else