• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Methinks SG ball should be standardized world over. Apparently it starts reversing by 20th over without any undue effort from the players.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cool that three dudes charged with rubbing sandpaper over leather are losing their sponsors while a dude who fractured someone's eye socket just announced a new one with GM.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Given the head coach rarely gets involved with anything really technical these days, a huge chunk of the job is managing talented but dumb and/or lazy players. Arthur totally failed at this. If it was one particularly dumb player he just couldn't click with then I'd give him a pass, but it wasn't.
I think it was a bit strange for Mickey to be dealing with professional sportsmen that were lazy/undisciplined... they exist in all teams, but SA does have a very high work ethic standard; Part culture, hence their ridgid play style, but also instilled from the earlier generation with guys like, Kepler, Kirsten, Ntini.. and a number of others. While an occasional undisciplined member will pitch up, generally put in his place quickly. Even Philander got a public rolicking about his fitness from Faf, and I genuinely believe if he had not improved they would have sat him out. The heavier discipline does tend to dampen the more instinctive player though...

cnerd123

likes this
Cool that three dudes charged with rubbing sandpaper over leather are losing their sponsors while a dude who fractured someone's eye socket just announced a new one with GM.
id rather someone break my eye socket than sandpaper my balls tbf

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Happening now this

FOX SPORTS Cricket
@FOXCricketLive
CB on lying about sandpaper: Yes I lied about the sandpaper. I panicked in that situation and I am very sorry

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just don't get it at all. Sandpaper makes it funnier but not really worse in any way, unless they were trying to hide the fact that they'd planned it before the day's play had even started, and made sure they packed some...

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
This could get messy. ACA raises serious questions about CA process by which the bans were imposed.

Good read this : https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...e-ball-tampering-scandal-20180328-p4z6s2.html
No shocker really. It’s greatest advocate has been just taken out possibly forever from the scene.

I think the term ‘bringing the game to disrepute’ has a wide meaning and all these admissions and other screw ups by the trio including the press conference have effectively all but sealed their fates. I expected Warner to go out swinging at least but his later Twitter admission has done himself no favors. Sponsors do not want any of these three faces anywhere near their brand names (hey it’s Moral High Ground open season). I think it will take a miracle of sorts now to see these back in action before one year.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
When I saw you mention ACA in your first post I thought you meant A Current Affair. And I figured "Who gives a ****, no-one's taken them seriously for years".

Cricketers Association slightly more of a deal, haha :laugh:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just don't get it at all. Sandpaper makes it funnier but not really worse in any way, unless they were trying to hide the fact that they'd planned it before the day's play had even started, and made sure they packed some...
This is what it is imo. Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't usually just have sandpaper lying around. The tape excuse made it seem like they came up with it on the fly. The facr that they used Sandpaper means theyve been doing this for a while and it wasn't an impromptu plan cooked up during the lunch break.

Unless amazon delivery in SA is shockingly quick.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is what it is imo. Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't usually just have sandpaper lying around. The tape excuse made it seem like they came up with it on the fly. The facr that they used Sandpaper means theyve been doing this for a while and it wasn't an impromptu plan cooked up during the lunch break.
Haha yep, and hilariously enough I only really think this because they lied. If they just said it was sandpaper from the start there'd be people asking where they got it from, but I'd basically think 'meh, conjecture' to that. The fact that they lied makes me read so much more into it the truth than if they'd admitted it or even just evaded questions about it.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I thought it was common for dudes to keep sandpaper in their kits to maintain their bats, bat weight etc.

Redbacks

International Captain
Given the head coach rarely gets involved with anything really technical these days, a huge chunk of the job is managing talented but dumb and/or lazy players. Arthur totally failed at this. If it was one particularly dumb player he just couldn't click with then I'd give him a pass, but it wasn't.
With hindsight I think he understands now his mistake. He was right on principle to insist the players do what they are asked and to follow team rules, but wrong with the severity of the punishment.

These guys aren't paid peanuts. In any job there's a risk of disciplinary action if you don't follow your bosses instructions. At AFL level it seems to be the 'leadership group' (a dodgy term right now lol) that determines punishment. That way the playing group elects this group themselves and they are more likely to accept the outcome.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member

Lying about sandpaper takes the whole thing into different perspective. Maybe Warner had this plan before play and brought some sandpapers with him

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol. Good luck peddling those in an arbitration. I hoped they’d have something least bit technical but this sounds like a plea for humanitarian considerations
Especially that last point, doesn't take an hour to say either "Don't lie about it, no coverups, we don't need another 911" or "Just deny everything"