• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I think a big factor was the PR disaster that Smith interview was. Optimally, he should've obfuscated it by calling it a misunderstanding of the rules or a honest mistake and saying we'll take whatever punishment the ICC gives us and ****ed off and waited for the dust to settle. Instead, he gave a clueless pollitician speech with stuff like "this calls into question my integrity, integrity of the team, integrity of the leadership group etc.". The world was going to treat it as another ball tampering incident, get mad for the weekend and move on. Smith made it much bigger though, he made this issue of the integrity and morality of the Australian Test captain and by extension, Australia. I was just cringing hard at how much unnecessary damage he was doing to himself in that interview.

He also should've limited exposure as little as possible by saying as the captain he takes responsibility for the indiscretion and all consequences. Instead, with the whole 'leadership group' sthick, he made it seem like a criminal conspiracy involving four layers of managment to gain an advantage. The amount of times he used the awful phrase made him appear insincere and as if he was deflecting personal responsibility.

PR people are panned a lot for producing the current culture of mundane interviews but this is one instance wherein it would've helped a lot to say "it's a misunderstanding/mistake, against the rules, will accept icc consequnces, thank you, **** you, bye".
Haha - in fact, if he'd actually come out to the interview and said to each journalist present in the room '**** you, **** you, **** you, **** you and **** you too. And **** you all. Now **** off' and walked off, the whole thing would probably have fared better for him/Australian cricket.

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
Looking forward to the press conference..Dunno how I would handle it....
Frank admission, name names etc?
Massive backtrack? "The leadership group comprised of 4 blokes we had never actually seen before, but ALL spoke with English accents and were accompanied by a hypnotist.......................

Andy1867

Cricket Spectator
Once a jolly swagman utilised some gaffer tape
under the blue of a bright Newlands sky
and he rubbed and he scrubbed and he waited for effect to take
under the gaze of a Cameramans eye

Wont swing Matilda
sandpaper from a builder
won't swing Matilda
what should I do?

Then the news from on high came
"Bancroft you've been Boofabonged"
"I'm ****ed , its bad luck
"Jesus..I'm screwed"

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fizzer. Essentially Sutherland just announced the XI for the next Test, that he won’t go into any detail about the players concerned and that he hasn’t spoken to the other players. If you’re going to go with due process as the reasons (fair enough), why not wait 24 more hours by your own timeline and give us some determinations?

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
How can Lehmann continue in light of the Handscomb thing?

And more generally in terms of changing the culture of this team?

Kirkut

International Regular
Why do I have a feeling that the complete team involvement has been denied for a reason? Could be to save the billion dollar deal?