• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Awesome purple patches from players through history that don't get much recognition

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I can remember two quality Martin shots, one off Mitchell Johnson, one off Harbhajan Singh
Yeah, from memory the Johnson one was a full bunger he lent on through the covers, and the Singh one was a drive he probably attempted to block but managed to loft over mid off. Think most of the Bangladesh 12 were full peas as well.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Nicky Boje situation is quite interesting as alluded to earlier. He started 2000 as a regular number 10, and after being used as a pinch hitter successfully it feels he was their genuine 3 for a period

His consecutive scores of 105*, 64 and 129 were all at 3. By the 3rd knock I assumed he was pencilled in at the start of the innings rather than promoted midway through.

Next game he'd dropped down to 6 and finished the end of the year batting 8, almost like it never happened.

There was a period of 9 innings where he hit 419 runs @ 84 striking @ 105

His only 2 tons and 2 of his 4 fifties came in this 9 innings period from a career where he batted 71 times to average a meagre 26 overall.

Why was he dropped down when in red hot form?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Nicky Boje situation is quite interesting as alluded to earlier. He started 2000 as a regular number 10, and after being used as a pinch hitter successfully it feels he was their genuine 3 for a period

His consecutive scores of 105*, 64 and 129 were all at 3. By the 3rd knock I assumed he was pencilled in at the start of the innings rather than promoted midway through.

Next game he'd dropped down to 6 and finished the end of the year batting 8, almost like it never happened.

There was a period of 9 innings where he hit 419 runs @ 84 striking @ 105

His only 2 tons and 2 of his 4 fifties came in this 9 innings period from a career where he batted 71 times to average a meagre 26 overall.

Why was he dropped down when in red hot form?
I was always very interested in this situation. I was shocked as a kid when I checked Boje's stats and saw he'd made 2 ODI tons. So random that he was used as a no. 3 for such a short time and was so good at it, then the rest of his career was just an ordinary no. 9 or 10

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
the Singh one was a drive he probably attempted to block but managed to loft over mid off.
If so, it'd be the first block to have a full follow-through.

Why all the relentless negativity about a display of genuine batting class?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There was the flick off Simon Jones too.
Talking if whom, his four Ashes tests in 2005 must have been way more productive than the rest of his test career. Maybe pushing things to suggest that they don't get much recognition though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Dennis Amiss from the Pakistan series at the start of 1973 to the end of the English summer in 1974 averaged 71.3 in 20 tests over six series.
His average in his other 30 tests was 30.7

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Between 1898 and 1903, Wilfred Rhodes took an incredible 940 county championship wickets at 13.63. He was Yorkshire's leading wicket taker in all of these years and the leading wicket taker in England three times. In the 13 Test matches he played over this period, Rhodes took 66 wickets at 17.65, including a series winning 31 wickets @ 15 in the 1903/04 Ashes down under. He also played the major hand in bowling Australia out for 36 in 1902.

In his final 45 Tests, Rhodes took 61 wickets at 37.04.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Don Bradman*, averaged something like 99.94 over a span of 52 tests. Insane.

*sorry, thought I might as well seeing as Sobers and Hammond got mentioned...
To quote the title of this thread "that don't get much recognition". Bradman quite rightly gets more recognition than literally everyone else ever.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Ajit Agarkar went through a purple patch of 12 runs in Brisbane 2003 after a stretch of 7 ducks in a row against Aussies.

subshakerz

International Coach
Mushtaq Ahmed took 112 wickets in 19 test between 95 - 98, including winning matches in Australia, NZ, SA and England. Then career took a nosedive after a poor series in Austraia in 99.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Habibul Bashar against Pakistan in 2003.

71, 108, 97, 28, 72, 3.

379 runs @ 63.16 at a time when all anyone can remember about Bangladesh was them being thrashed by an innings in every other match.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Andy Bichel scored his 5 highest scores with the bat in 6 innings when he scored 48,4,49,39,71,34 from the November 2002 to May 2003, as well as a number innings where he did not bat. For the rest of his career his top score was 19.

Dendarii

International Debutant