• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Awesome purple patches from players through history that don't get much recognition

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In ODIs from Mid Jan 2000 to early Feb 2001, Damian Martyn hit 774 runs from 22 innings @ an average of 96, including 14 not outs.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Damian Martyn is your example of someone who doesn't get much recognition?

This forum is a hotbed of millenial Australians who will bang on about him until the cows come home.

mr_mister

I'm referring to the purple patch not getting recognition, not the player. calm yer farm

Howe_zat

Audio File
I was so irked by that I didn't even read the second post. Flower and Kallis? Really?

Next time in cricket chat: Does anyone else remember Sachin Tendulkar or just me

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was so irked by that I didn't even read the second post. Flower and Kallis? Really?

Next time in cricket chat: Does anyone else remember Sachin Tendulkar or just me
Kallis averaged like 70 for 5 years. Higher than Ponting in the mid 2000s. Flower average well over 60 in the 00s too.

TheJediBrah

Mohammad Yousuf around 2004 ish was god-like for a couple of years, never hear anyone talk about that much. Chanderpaul for a few years as well IIRC. Cbf looking at the actual stats

jeez dude sounds like you still didn't even read the first post. It's not just specifically about players not getting recognition. Though I do agree that those 2 probably are a bit of a stretch to be called unrecognised.

Kallis averaged like 70 for 5 years. Higher than Ponting in the mid 2000s. Flower average well over 60 in the 00s too.
Yeah that's kind of his point. They were great players and are generally recognised as such.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Damian Martyn is your example of someone who doesn't get much recognition?

This forum is a hotbed of millenial Australians who will bang on about him until the cows come home.

so on this forum we laud some purple patches of players a lot. Imrans record in the 80s, Botham's start to his career and certain patches from Ponting, Viv etc to name a few

trundler

Mohammad Yousuf around 2004 ish was god-like for a couple of years, never hear anyone talk about that much. Chanderpaul for a few years as well IIRC. Cbf looking at the actual stats

jeez dude sounds like you still didn't even read the first post. It's not just specifically about players not getting recognition. Though I do agree that those 2 probably are a bit of a stretch to be called unrecognised.

Yeah that's kind of his point. They were great players and are generally recognised as such.
Yeah but it's better than I thought at first.

mr_mister

From 20 May 1997 to 17 Feb 1999 in ODIs, Chris Harris averaged 60 from 33 digs w/18 not outs. He hit 901 runs in this time.

Career average in the format was under 30

vcs

Ashwin around 2015-16. Viriya even said he was on track to surpass Muralitharan's records lol.

trundler

Kane has been great in ODIs over the last couple of years. Anderson's been averaging peanuts at home.

vcs

I'll just group that with other utter nonsense he's said..
At that point, he was not incorrect statistically though, haha. Obviously, Ashwin was never going to sustain it for 800 wickets.

Daemon

Gambhir for 2 years at his peak averaged 77 with 7 hundreds. We would've never hit number one without his solid contributions up top together with Sehwag.