• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Awesome purple patches from players through history that don't get much recognition

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Arivinda de Silva played 11 test matches in 1997, scoring 7 centuries and averaging 76.25. He scored 6 of those centuries in Colombo in 6 consecutive innings he played in Colombo.
If we remove the first 2 test in played in 1997 where he scored 8 runs in 4 innings in New Zealand for the rest of the year he averaged 100.91 in the other 9 tests. Or he scored just under one fifth of his test runs and over a third of he test centuries in these 9 tests.

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
If you spilt Steve smith's career in half you get a very stark contrast and a big purple patch by comparison.

What happened to his career is a bit of a pity. He seemed to have a lot of potential.

But he's only managed 1 wicket in the last 4 years. It might be time to accept that he isn't good enough to be a test bowler.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If you spilt Steve smith's career in half you get a very stark contrast and a big purple patch by comparison.

What happened to his career is a bit of a pity. He seemed to have a lot of potential.

But he's only managed 1 wicket in the last 4 years. It might be time to accept that he isn't good enough to be a test bowler.
True, and he's taken no test wickets over the last year at all.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Not sure how much of this post, if any, is meant to be a joke

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I seem to recall John wroght having a really good back end to his career, where for a 2-3 year period at one point he seemed a much better player than he had been previously. Cba looking it up, it’s juat my impression of the bloke’s career - seemed to get better with age.
Not a bad shout, actually. From Xmas season 1989 to retirement in 1993 he averaged 53 from 19 tests versus a career average of 37.

Bolo

State Captain
If you recognise that this could be a joke, it can only be a joke whether or not its funny. Nothing makes sense on its own, so its all likely to be part of the joke, whether I'm rambling in telling it or tracking the thread flow to run a bait and switch

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bolo was doing a jebaited-style joke about how if you look at Smith's career, he was a "promising" bowler in the first half and has been a dire bowler since.

It was decent if not full like worthy.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've heard that about Adams so much- was he really some kind of potential ATG who turned into a bunny after copping a bouncer? Or could it just have coinicided with the end of his brief purple patch

mr_mister

Maurice Tate took 65 wickets in his first 10 tests(24-25)

Only 90 in his next 29.(26-35)

I suppose Bradman could be pointed at as the most obvious reason, but Tate made his FC debut pre WW1 and his prime years were perhaps nearing an end by the time the Don debuted anyway

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Chris Martin in his 49th innings, scored in a SINGLE innings* the same amount as 23.1% of his previous 48 innings.

If Donald Bradman had done the same in his 49th innings he'd have scored 982 runs.
It'd have been the equivalent of NZ's premier batsman Big Daddy Kane scoring 363 runs.

And to think we rarely think of Chris Martin as much of a gun with the bat.

*he scored 12 runs
I know this is a nonsense I'm asking this in the age of 'I could google this and find out in 3 seconds flat' but was that at Dunedin v SA? Because I was walking into the ground slightly after the resumption of play in that Test, and honestly the most berserk cheer broke out...we were 9 down and you figured Chris Martin had done something the rest of us would take for granted - ie get off the mark - but the noise indicated he'd pulled Steyn for six over wide mid on or something similar. Turned out it was actually (from memory) a five from a single and four overthrows.

_Ed_

Didn't he pull out an inexplicably glorious cover drive at one point?

Top_Cat

I've heard that about Adams so much- was he really some kind of potential ATG who turned into a bunny after copping a bouncer? Or could it just have coinicided with the end of his brief purple patch
Nah, regression toward the mean.

Starfighter

I know this is a nonsense I'm asking this in the age of 'I could google this and find out in 3 seconds flat' but was that at Dunedin v SA? Because I was walking into the ground slightly after the resumption of play in that Test, and honestly the most berserk cheer broke out...we were 9 down and you figured Chris Martin had done something the rest of us would take for granted - ie get off the mark - but the noise indicated he'd pulled Steyn for six over wide mid on or something similar. Turned out it was actually (from memory) a five from a single and four overthrows.
Nah, the 12* was against Bangladesh, which means it doesn't really count. The five was quality though.

Bolo

State Captain
Google is handy, but seriously flawed, at least until they add the 'make any excuse to tell chris martin anecdotes' function. Things are much better this way.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Google is handy, but seriously flawed, at least until they add the 'make any excuse to tell chris martin anecdotes' function. Things are much better this way.
Dead right. Embarrassed I got the 12 wrong, but it did allow a great Chris Martin story. And allows me to also regale the time I saw him drop a catch in a domestic List A game because he was eating a banana and missed the early flight of the ball.

And also allows me to post this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_NsFh-Z4aE

What a genuinely great man he was/is.