• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Averaging 50 with the ball gets you in the World XI?

Deja moo

International Captain
_Ed_ said:
His economy rate against Australia would be interesting to see.
Thats probably because when playing for NZ, the Aussies play him out cautiously. In a RoW lineup, they'll probably mark him out as the weakest link and go after him hard.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Deja moo said:
Thats probably because when playing for NZ, the Aussies play him out cautiously. In a RoW lineup, they'll probably mark him out as the weakest link and go after him hard.
Which could result in wickets for Vettori, unlike when they play cautiously against him.

shaka

International Regular
Vettori stats in Australia v Australia in last 10 ODI's
Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St
1997 (age: 17y 340d) 2 14 14 14.00 0 0 1 1/47 79.00 0 0 0
1998 (18y 339d) 2 4 4 4.00 0 0 1 1/41 76.00 0 1 0
2002 (22y 339d) 4 32 30 16.00 0 0 4 2/36 40.25 0 0 0
2004 (24y 339d) 2 33 33 33.00 0 0 4 3/31 16.75 0 0 0

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
What did he do last time they toured Australia Shaka?
In the tests, he took 10 wickets @ 34, in a series with two flat, non turning pitches and in which only 20 Australian wickets fell across two tests. In one test he bowled 50 overs and in the other be bowled 73, and he still only went for 340 odd runs. Not a bad effort at all.

In the ODIs he was the player of the series. In the first he took 3/31 from his 10 overs and in the second he took 1/36 from 10 and made 33 with the bat. Not a bad effort there either.

Not sure what you're point with this was, as that's clearly a very successful series, and it was "the last time they toured Australia".

Anyway, the reasons he was picked above Kumble are that he, like Shaun Pollock, can bat well enough to be at 8 and make up for Flintoff being at 6, that Kumble is percieved as being poor outside of India and that Kumble doesn't get picked regularly for ODIs any more for India.

thierry henry

International Coach
Vettori was by far the pick of the NZ bowlers in the tests against Australia in Australia last summer. James Franklin was by far the pick of the NZ bowlers in the tests against Australia in NZ. Vettori was terrible. Should Franklin be in the team?

Those statistics ARE NOT SELECTIVE. They exclude the recent series against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe because they are obviously not test standard opponents. Apart from that they include all 27 tests that Vettori has played since January 1 2001. This is not an arbitrary date- it includes every test he has played since returning from a major injury.

Does anyone have ANY statistics that seriously promote Vettori's cause? I mean for God's sake, if averaging 50 against test standard opposition over a 5 year period isn't enough, than what is. I don't have anything against Vettori, I have met the guy in person, I like him. I just can't stand injustice, and a consistently awful bowler receiving praise is an injustice.

Craig

World Traveller
Sometimes he bowls or plays a lot better then stats suggest and didn't always get the wicket's deserved and often stats are misleading (Flintoff is the one example) and stats are frankly not the be all and end all of somebody's selection.

I mean I have often read comment's by Tim about how Vettori has had to bow la different style from his natural aggresive approach to bowling to bowling more defensively and not having any top class support (like Warne has had).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Those statistics ARE NOT SELECTIVE.
Yes they are.

I wouldnt have minded if you said "Vettori averages 50 against proper opposition", but you didnt, you just said "Vettori averages 50 with the ball."

Tom Halsey

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
In the tests, he took 10 wickets @ 34, in a series with two flat, non turning pitches and in which only 20 Australian wickets fell across two tests. In one test he bowled 50 overs and in the other be bowled 73, and he still only went for 340 odd runs. Not a bad effort at all.

In the ODIs he was the player of the series. In the first he took 3/31 from his 10 overs and in the second he took 1/36 from 10 and made 33 with the bat. Not a bad effort there either.

Not sure what you're point with this was, as that's clearly a very successful series, and it was "the last time they toured Australia".

Anyway, the reasons he was picked above Kumble are that he, like Shaun Pollock, can bat well enough to be at 8 and make up for Flintoff being at 6, that Kumble is percieved as being poor outside of India and that Kumble doesn't get picked regularly for ODIs any more for India.
Sorry to say this, but you've typed that out for nothing - he was asking about Michael Vaughan (Shaka was saying he hasn't done anything against Australia).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Sorry to say this, but you've typed that out for nothing - he was asking about Michael Vaughan (Shaka was saying he hasn't done anything against Australia).
Haha. My mistake. :(

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What planet are you from?

For starters, strike rates mean very little in test cricket.

Fifity-eight is quite a good strike rate, anyway! Especially for an opener...