• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Averaging 50 with the ball gets you in the World XI?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
strike rate of 58 is not all that good though.
Eh? 58 in test matches is pretty damn good. There's only a few players in the world who score quicker than that whilst batting in the top order. Ponting for example, who is a very aggressive batsman, has a career strike rate of 58.76.

Vaughan was very aggressive in that series, which is really how he handled McGrath and Warne so well. McGrath in particular can be hit off his line, as those few players who have had success against him like Sehwag have shown.

edit: the players in the world who have a career SR of over 58: Smith (60), Lara (60), Hayden (61), Jayasuria (64), Flintoff (67), Sehwag (72), Afridi (78), Gilchrist (83). Don't think 58 is that bad myself. :)

Last edited:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
shaka said:
When I wrote it I thought you were talking about ODI's, my bad.
He'd have to be very good at controlling the strike to score 183 at a strike rate of 58 in a ODI (and he'd need more than a few no-balls). :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And I see the majority of them we at home and the type of pitch at home and away.
Yes but the following were fantastic efforts;

In Adelaide, on a batting paradise (and a win for India

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/IND_IN_AUS/SCORECARDS/IND_AUS_T2_12-16DEC2003.html

In Melbourne, again on a batting paradise

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/IND_IN_AUS/SCORECARDS/IND_AUS_T3_26-30DEC2003.html

And on Sydney, the flattest pitch in Australia for decades, when Australia STILL managed almost 500, he took 8-fer;

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/IND_IN_AUS/SCORECARDS/IND_AUS_T4_02-06JAN2004.html

He really only had that very bad tour in 1999-00 and it didn't matter what pitch he bowled on in that series because he really wasn't bowling well. Even in Sydney 99-00, he got smacked. Yes, he's done well at home but on the last tour's form, he really would have bowled well against the Aussies anywhere.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
But we were talking about Vaughan, who is one of the worst ODI batsmen in international cricket...
is he one of the worst ODI batsmen or does he just have one of the worst ODI batting stats for a major batsman :p

shaka

International Regular
Back on the topic, I think Vettori showed his excellent bowling again, even if it is against Zimbabwe.

thierry henry

International Coach
...yes, and it was against Zimbabwe. He's been playing international cricket for nearly 9 years now, some performances against other teams would be nice.

_Ed_

thierry henry said:
...yes, and it was against Zimbabwe. He's been playing international cricket for nearly 9 years now, some performances against other teams would be nice.
He did bowl well though, I believe that the arm ball that got Taibu out would have dismissed quite a few batsmen in stronger sides than Zimbabwe.

Blaze

Banned
thierry henry said:

Left arm orthodox spinners are always going to struggle to have fantastic stats particuarly when you are bowling in a side as weak as NZ. Batsman know that if they can block Vettori out at one end then the runs will come from the other end.

Vettori should go alright when he is bowling alongside other good bowlers. Look it how he bowled in that World XI game in melbourne.

Deja moo

International Captain
Kumble:

76 wickets in the past 12 months.

51 wickets in his last 7 tests vs Australia.

Includes 24 in Australia.

Career record of 88 wickets in 14 tests vs Australia ( compare with Murali: 51 in 10 tests ).

Gavaskar and his selection comittee can kiss my a$$ .

thierry henry

International Coach
Blaze said:
Left arm orthodox spinners are always going to struggle to have fantastic stats particuarly when you are bowling in a side as weak as NZ. Batsman know that if they can block Vettori out at one end then the runs will come from the other end.

Vettori should go alright when he is bowling alongside other good bowlers. Look it how he bowled in that World XI game in melbourne.
a) "A side as weak as NZ"- get your hand off it

b) Almost all of the pace bowlers NZ have used for some sort of extended period in recent years have better averages and strike rates than Vettori. If you disagree with this point, then find some stats to prove it. I believe Cairns has averaged about 29, Tuffey in the low 30s, Franklin high 20s, Shayne O'Connor low 30s, Martin has a similar average to Vettori (but without all the wickets against Bangladesh), and so on. In a vast majority of circumstances (i.e. games against anyone other than Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, and to a lesser extent Australia) Vettori is the proven weak link in the NZ attack.

c) If I remember rightly, Vettori went for about 60 runs in his 10 overs in the World XI game.

_Ed_

thierry henry said:
You can't deny that we are a weak bowling side in tests. Martin, Mills, Franklin and Tuffey for Vettori to bowl with...the return of Bond has helped though.

Last edited:

Blaze

Banned
thierry henry said:

b) Almost all of the pace bowlers NZ have used for some sort of extended period in recent years have better averages and strike rates than Vettori. If you disagree with this point, then find some stats to prove it. I believe Cairns has averaged about 29, Tuffey in the low 30s, Franklin high 20s, Shayne O'Connor low 30s, Martin has a similar average to Vettori (but without all the wickets against Bangladesh), and so on. In a vast majority of circumstances (i.e. games against anyone other than Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, and to a lesser extent Australia) Vettori is the proven weak link in the NZ attack.

c) If I remember rightly, Vettori went for about 60 runs in his 10 overs in the World XI game.

Oh dear..

a) since Bond has been injured we have seen some terrible bowling. Our pace attack without Bond is probably ranked worst in the world bar Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

b) Left arm Orthodox spinners are not prolific wicket takers. They are not supposed to be your strike bowler. I am not surprised that Martin and Franklin have better averages as they bowl on nice green wickets at home. I think you will find that most spinners have higher averages than pace bowlers of equal standing and ability.

c) 3/58. He bowled very well and picked up 3 good wickets. They were chasing about 320 so it was a good track