• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

the big bambino

International Captain
Hard to blame Invers for his Mitch love when every other alternative has done his fool back in or something. When you start offering Dougeh as an alternative of the ones left then maybe Invers isn't too far off the mark. Expect Rhino, Sidz and Mitch for test one.

U19 12th Man
Yeah seriously, who else can they go with. Pattinson, Cummins, Starc and Bird, that's a lot of casualties.

I really thought we would have one of Pat/Patto fit for the home ashes. Damn shame. You want to see both sides able to field their best XI.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
dont replace watson with faulkner

adub

International Captain
Hard to blame Invers for his Mitch love when every other alternative has done his fool back in or something. When you start offering Dougeh as an alternative of the ones left then maybe Invers isn't too far off the mark. Expect Rhino, Sidz and Mitch for test one.
Yeah I mean what sort of crazy talk is it to think a guy with 50 test wickets in 12 matches at <26 and who is at career best fitness and just coming off taking a Shield 6-fer on a flat slow Blacktown track might be a better option than a myth like Johnson.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I knew it was a mistake buying tickets for the Gabba Test so far out from the date. Mitch Johnson will be foisted upon me as punishment. Just pick Matty Wade as the 3rd seamer and be done with it.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's wrong with picking Bollinger though?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Nothing wrong with Bollinger if he's fit.

Could be risky taking both him and Harris in to a test together tho.

the big bambino

International Captain
What's wrong with picking Bollinger though?
Nothing really and if he gets picked as the 3rd seamer I wont be writing angry letters to the ed. He's had fitness problems with long stretches of his career meandering off into obscurity. Really he's not been that much better or worse than Johnson over their careers. If he is the best alternative to Johnson then I can't see why he is so far ahead to make his selection a gimme.

Spikey

really looking forward to seeing former test opening bowler john hastings make his comeback to the test team

morgieb

Bollinger or Chadd should get the gig, IMO
Not convinced on Chadd personally - he's had one season and that was on ridiculously bowler-friendly wickets. Don't get me wrong, I think he's good, but I'd like to see him maintain his FC form first. We've seen too many bowlers fade away after one good season in recent Shield history.

I'd go Bollinger or Hilfenhaus ftr.

Spikey

I thought Maximas was referring to Ponting's claim that Adelaide produced bowling friendly wickets last season

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Away pitches were :p

Point is, I'm not sure if picking a quick off 2012 performances is the right move.
Fine, but you can't say "pitches were bowler friendly" as an argument against a bowler when all shield bowlers were subject to the same conditions - if anything it was harder for Sayers playing more games at the AO. He was OK on the 'A' tour iirc as well

tbf he didn't do much this first round of the SS

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
TBH I'd be going in with this squad if I were a selector trying to balance my views with the current panel:

Clarke, Haddin, Bailey, Bollinger, Doolan, Harris, Lyon, McDonald*, Sayers, Siddle, Smith, Rogers, Warner, Watson.

*Henriques if McDonald isn't fully fit by that stage; exclusively as Watson cover.

If Watson plays, he bats 3 with Bailey at 6.
If Watson is out, Doolan bats 3 with McDonald/Henriques at 6.
Bollinger and Sayers have a shoot-out in the last round of Shield games/in the nets to decide who plays.

Doubtless now we'll see a ridiculously unbalanced XI including Bailey and Forkers Faulkner (if Watson isn't fit), especially since the latter made that ton. Something like:

Rogers, Warner, Clarke, Bailey, Smith, Haddin, Faulkner, Johnson, Harris, Siddle, Ahmed, IMO.