• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Test fast bowling depth

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, Lee injured his elbow in a test vs WI in about his second or third season. I think he missed a few tests then came back, but there was a considerable length of time when he carried the drinks and other blokes had a run ahead of him. Up til he got that injury he looked a world beater, but tbf he'd only played a handful of tests.

Which was awesome because he is a ****.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is correct, but as a fun fact I don't think Lee was ever actually left out of the side when fit. He was always in the first choice from his debut in 1999 to when he was really in his twilight years. They're might have been a game or 2 he was left out for Kasprowicz in India but I think that's it
Kasper did replace Lee in the full strength team in the 2004/05 season. Looks like he was left out for Bichel in 2002 as well but I don't really remember that very well.

TheJediBrah

Kasper did replace Lee in the full strength team in the 2004/05 season. Looks like he was left out for Bichel in 2002 as well but I don't really remember that very well.

Yes now you mention it that is when I remember Lee being left out for him, but very briefly. When McGrath took his 8/24 and Kasper spoiled his chance at 10. I don't recall bichel getting picked over him though and I'm a bit skeptical in that one.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
How come Dan Worrall is never talked about in connection with the Australia team? I know he's over 30 now but he has been stellar in county cricket the last couple of years. He has easily outperformed Neser, McAndrew and the other wannabes, bowls at a good pace and unlike most Aussie quicks he is a natural swing bowler. And doesn't seem to be made of glass.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How come Dan Worrall is never talked about in connection with the Australia team? I know he's over 30 now but he has been stellar in county cricket the last couple of years. He has easily outperformed Neser, McAndrew and the other wannabes, bowls at a good pace and unlike most Aussie quicks he is a natural swing bowler. And doesn't seem to be made of glass.
Well he's playing in England as a domestic player now and part of it is that he did pick up a lot of injuries.

TheJediBrah

Worrall wasn't that consistent when he played in Aus. Watching him when he was on song you'd think you're looking at something really special, swung it both ways at will and at decent pace. But too often he had off days and when the ball didn't move he wasn't as consistently threatening as a Neser or Sayers.

social

Yeah I like Worrall as he’s got a pretty high ceiling at his best

However, he’s also got a pretty low floor when he’s not

In Australia, I’d pick Johnson and Agar before him for SA plus they have others coming through so picked a good time to relocate IMO

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Bichel should’ve played so many more tests ahead of Lee

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I watched the daily highlights of the Sheffield Shield final (I think it was that game) about a month ago. Got to say I was a little underwhelmed at my first sighting of Lance Morris. After hearing about him first on here just a few weeks before in The Ind v Aus tour thread, and people wanting him to get 'unleashed' for a test.

I'm not saying I think he looks a bad bowler, I didn't watch close enough. I just was expecting something of a physcial bohemoth and some extreme pace. Like when the first time I saw a Riley Meredith or a Chris Tremain, and I would think to myself 'god help the rest of us, if this guy pulls it all together and stays fit!'

social

I watched the daily highlights of the Sheffield Shield final (I think it was that game) about a month ago. Got to say I was a little underwhelmed at my first sighting of Lance Morris. After hearing about him first on here just a few weeks before in The Ind v Aus tour thread, and people wanting him to get 'unleashed' for a test.

I'm not saying I think he looks a bad bowler, I didn't watch close enough. I just was expecting something of a physcial bohemoth and some extreme pace. Like when the first time I saw a Riley Meredith or a Chris Tremain, and I would think to myself 'god help the rest of us, if this guy pulls it all together and stays fit!'
First time he had bowled in a match since November so not 100% plus now out with back problems so that probably played a part as well

TheJediBrah

Bichel should’ve played so many more tests ahead of Lee
I honestly don't think so. Bichel was a decent enough Test-standard bowler at best, would have likely had a long career in just about any other country, but I can't see him being much more effective than Lee tbh.

This is a good example for @trundler of an Aus 00s domestic player actually being overrated

trundler

I honestly don't think so. Bichel was a decent enough Test-standard bowler at best, would have likely had a long career in just about any other country, but I can't see him being much more effective than Lee tbh.

This is a good example for @trundler of an Aus 00s domestic player actually being overrated
Yeah, much in the same way Bevan would not have had a better career than Mark Waugh

TheJediBrah

Yeah, much in the same way Bevan would not have had a better career than Mark Waugh
For someone who wasn't even born then you express this bad opinion an awful lot. If you were talking about Blewett or Elliott or Law or half a dozen others you would have a point. But Bevan's the exception. Was robbed of an ATVG Test career at the very least

trundler

For someone who wasn't even born then you express this bad opinion an awful lot. If you were talking about Blewett or Elliott or Law or half a dozen others you would have a point. But Bevan's the exception. Was robbed of an ATVG Test career at the very least
Yeah because your childlike deification of Bevan is beyond Warne always had a broken toenail when playing India levels of weird. You've also expressed the related hilarious opinion than Shield cricket in that era was more competitive with test cricket (the same competition where Adam Dale and Scott Muller were the best bowlers lol). Also virtually everyone who saw Bevan in tests would agree he had a weakness against the short ball. It's like if 20 years from now someone starts claiming Shreyas Iyer never had technical issues and averaged 51 in FC therefore he'd be better than Kohli.

TheJediBrah

Yeah because your childlike deification of Bevan is beyond Warne always had a broken toenail when playing India levels of weird. You've also expressed the related hilarious opinion than Shield cricket in that era was more competitive with test cricket (the same competition where Adam Dale and Scott Muller were the best bowlers lol). Also virtually everyone who saw Bevan in tests would agree he had a weakness against the short ball. It's like if 20 years from now someone starts claiming Shreyas Iyer never had technical issues and averaged 51 in FC therefore he'd be better than Kohli.
You are literally wrong about everything in this