• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Test fast bowling depth

Archer6K

U19 12th Man
A few years ago Australia had Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins as their starting fast bowlers. They had James Pattinson, Peter Siddle and Jhye Richardson as their back up fast bowlers and they had Scott Boland, Michael Neser and Sean Abbott as their reserve fast bowlers. How many teams have had better fast bowling depth?

Coronis

International Coach
I’d say Australia, South Africa and West Indies have at various times all had depth equal to or greater than current Aus.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia has rarely had a full complement available whereas the Windies just had a conveyor belt of healthy bowlers

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I think a more interesting discussion is our allrounder depth honestly. Can't think of many era's in Aussie cricket where we've had as good an allrounder as green consistently playing all formats with guys like hardie not even making national squads. Mitch marsh days where pretty bleak but even when watto was coming through as a young guy averaging 50 in the shield and bowling 140 our allround depth wasn't this good.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
He's still there.
Yeah but he's the 3rd choice red ball option now if hardie is fit to bowl instead of a definite lock. Plus i'de argue marsh is a better red ball cricketer now then when he ever had a consistent spot in the test side bar that little stretch where he those 2017 ashes tons then started the sandpaper gate series well w/ the bat.

Flem274*

123/5
It's pretty good right now but it's also getting to a use it or lose it situation. Most of the guys you mention aren't the youngest or most durable anymore. I'm looking forward to watching Morris and the other new boys. They'll ruin my day too I'm sure.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the bowling depth in Australia is good without being outstanding IMO, things start to thin out quite a bit by the 3rd XI (this is very much a hypothetical scenario, disregarding injuries)

Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

Neser
Richardson
Murphy
Boland

Abbott
Paris
Kuhnemann
Morris

Sutherland
Bartlett
Rocchiccioli/Manenti
Johnson

Would be something like that probably, although the names in 3rd and 4th XIs are somewhat interchangeable. Would have Johnson higher if I was in charge, not exactly impartial there though

the big bambino

International Captain
I think Richardson is getting to a situation similar to Pattinson. Not sure I'd like to pick him even if he was available because of the perception of risk due to his past record. Therefore hoping the current 3 plus Boland can stretch out their careers so that Richardson can prove his fitness or someone else establishes themselves.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It's certainly a concern unfortunately, his inability to stay on the park is a pretty significant worry. Things do drop off pretty sharply though especially considering a few other names on that list are also injured

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's certainly a concern unfortunately, his inability to stay on the park is a pretty significant worry. Things do drop off pretty sharply though especially considering a few other names on that list are also injured
Yeah, Mitch Perry and Wes Agar just opened the bowling for Australia A.

ataraxia

International Coach
You've still got 8 gun options though lol (and I guess Paris too), plus Green/Hardie/Marsh.

8 unavailabilities have to transpire for Perry, Agar, etc. to actually play a test.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia's current fast bowling depth (with Lyon providing good support) is certainly impressive but other nations have had eras when they could boast impressive bowling depth.

Top of the list would have to be the West Indies. Their depth over two decades spanning from the mid 70s to the mid 90s is without equal.
Starting with bowlers such as Roberts, Holding, Garner, Croft, Daniel and Clarke moving to the likes of Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh,
Patterson, Bishop, Davis and a two Benjamins says it all. How many others were waiting in the wings?

South Africa always seem to have good fast bowling stock. From the 60s when they had Adcock, Heine and Goddard through to an era when Steyn, Philander and Rabada shone there have been many greats such as Donald, Pollock (2), Ntini, Kallis and Nel.

While England's current crop of quicks is impressive, I believe their depth (in both pace and spin) was at its best in the 50s. Providing the new ball attack were Bedser, Statham and Trueman (all holding world records at various times) with Tyson reaching great heights in one Ashes series and pace support coming from Loader, Bailey and Shackleton (The latter two more medium than fast).
The spinning depth was impressive with Laker, Lock, Wardle, Appleyard and Tattersall all having averages modern spinners would envy.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I think Richardson is getting to a situation similar to Pattinson. Not sure I'd like to pick him even if he was available because of the perception of risk due to his past record. Therefore hoping the current 3 plus Boland can stretch out their careers so that Richardson can prove his fitness or someone else establishes themselves.
current haze is in that situation as well though lets not kid ourselves

the big bambino

International Captain
current haze is in that situation as well though lets not kid ourselves
Could be but he's atleast had a career that's got off the ground which shows some resilience. I'm not concerned as we have Boland now who appears unbreakable (go away jinx) but even at his age I think Haze is more likely to be available than Richardson.