• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Post Ashes Blueprint

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
aussie said:
fair enough, but look even though i agree with your idea, the problem is all of the potential next geneation fast bowlers with the exception of bracken are tearaways, none are of the likes of McGrath, McDermott, Hughes, Dizzy etc....
There is so much work put in development wise on people who bowl 140km/h+, instead of developing guys who can hit the seam and move it around at 130km/h to be able to take the next step.
Phenomena explained.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
but how do you know Tait, Johnson, Bird will have the same problems as Lee in test cricket?
How do you know they won't?

Just because they're Australian doesn't make them infallible.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
How do you know they won't?

Just because they're Australian doesn't make them infallible.
i'm not suggesting or predicting whether they will be good or not in tests, not all speedsters have had the problems as lee has had in his test career, so ya never know...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He can hardly get much worse!
You gotta admit, though; he sure tried. Brett Lee's 19 wickets came at around 40 which is high but 19 wickets is a decent 5-Test series and he bowled (and batted) his guts out in every game. I certainly can't disagree that on some occasions he bowled woefully (day 1 in the second Test, vs Pietersen in the 5th, etc.) but there were occasions where he also bowled really well. He made some inroads into the England second-innings in the second Test until Flintoff did his thing and was really great in the second dig 4th Test (although admittedly some bone-headed bowling in the first innings did much to contribute to the hopeless situation there).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes he tried, but if the result of him trying that much is going to be averages of well over 30 (which he has had for the last 5 years) - you have to wonder if he's the right man...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
well he averaged 16 better than Giles :p

i dont think anypne will say he had a good series with the ball, but it certainly for mine, wasnt as bad as the stats say alone

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes he tried, but if the result of him trying that much is going to be averages of well over 30 (which he has had for the last 5 years) - you have to wonder if he's the right man...
For two of those 5 years he wasn't in the side, y'know Marc. Not just that, he only just got back in and was thrown into a leading role almost immediately when Glenn McGrath was injured. I think it'll only be really fair to judge how well or badly he's bowling after this home series. Before you say anything, he hasn't had a decent home series for a long time so if he DOES have a decent series, surely that'll be an indicator of improvement.

Anyway, the Aussies will HAVE to find a way to MAKE him the right man. They've invested a lot of time and effort in Brett Lee and if they drop him now, they'll only have to replace him with another bowler they'll have to develop (presuming they don't recall Gillespie or Kasper). He has all the right ingredients - speed, bounce and swing. He just has to combine them all or at least swing the ball for more than two overs anyway!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What I don't get is if they've invested all that time, why did they not recall him in those 2 years?

Sometimes it maybe better to cut your losses on someone, especially if he's going to have to lead the attack in the next 18 months or so...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
What I don't get is if they've invested all that time, why did they not recall him in those 2 years?

Sometimes it maybe better to cut your losses on someone, especially if he's going to have to lead the attack in the next 18 months or so...
He wasn't recalled in those two years because of injury and Kasprowicz was bowling too well to get dropped. This home series has to be his last chance. If he has another 35+ series then we seriously have to start thinking about someone else.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
He wasn't recalled in those two years because of injury and Kasprowicz was bowling too well to get dropped. This home series has to be his last chance. If he has another 35+ series then we seriously have to start thinking about someone else.
yes thats true, but Kyle instead of predicting that he'll do badly, but urge him on to do well because without doubt Lee has shown signs that he can be successful at test level...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
really? well you blokes missed the 1st test at lord's, 2nd innings at Edgbagston, 1st innings at OT, 2nd innings at TB & 2nd innings of super test then?

howardj

International Coach
Just back on Brett Lee, I cant understand why he hasnt performed much better than his statistics indicate. He has pace, swing, reverse swing, the abillity to drive a batsman on to the backfoot etc. He just strikes me as someone who tries to take a wicket every ball, and tries to make every ball 'special'. He needs to think about his bowling, not just show up on the day and let rip. I thought it was revealing that the best balls he bowled in England hit the top of Vaughan's off-stump - a good line, and a fantastic length, and still they were bowled at a decent pace.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
howardj said:
Just back on Brett Lee, I cant understand why he hasnt performed much better than his statistics indicate. He has pace, swing, reverse swing, the abillity to drive a batsman on to the backfoot etc. He just strikes me as someone who tries to take a wicket every ball, and tries to make every ball 'special'. He needs to think about his bowling, not just show up on the day and let rip. I thought it was revealing that the best balls he bowled in England hit the top of Vaughan's off-stump - a good line, and a fantastic length, and still they were bowled at a decent pace.
And the one which got Freddie, wonderful ball that and as Fred said would have "got me out nine times out of ten". I fear it is too late for Lee though, he doesn't seem to learn his lessons. Would like to be proven wrong as I really like the fellow.