• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection thread 2015/16

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
What does a vice captain do other than 'be an established top 7 batsman' anyway
Three types of VCs I reckon.

There's the obvious heir apparent type, which is what Clarke, Ponting, Waugh and Taylor all served as under their predecessors. All look like being good captains and waited their turn til another good captain retired.

Then there's the second in charge guy, who's probably never gonna be captain permanently, but is well liked and respected in the group in general. Geoff Marsh, Boon, Gilly, Haddin, Rod Marsh etc. Quite often keepers incidentally.

Then there's Warner.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I have decided that my top 6 going forward is..

1. Cameron Bancroft (22)
2. David Warner (28)
3. Steve Smith (26)
4. Joe Burns (25)
5. Shaun Marsh (32)
6. MItch Marsh (23)

The numbers in brackets is current age, not likely batting average.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I have decided that my top 6 going forward is..

1. Cameron Bancroft (22)
2. David Warner (28)
3. Steve Smith (26)
4. Joe Burns (25)
5. Shaun Marsh (32)
6. MItch Marsh (23)

The numbers in brackets is current age, not likely batting average.
Who am I kidding? I don't actually want Shaun Marsh in the Aussie team. I would prefer Voges to Marsh, but I'm not that convinced with Adam either. I don't really know who suits the 5 spot at all, but I'm content with the other selections.

Has anyone checked this out lately 1 Jan 2010 to now Test averages You could quite easily argue that out of all of the players who have been tried and discarded during that period, Matthew Wade has performed the best.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Someone was saying to play Wade without the gloves.
I know it should not make much difference, but if Wade plays as a bat I think his only spot is 6 and I've picked MitchMarsh there. I pretty much think the same about a Maxwell or Henriques type too, its six or out for them. I wish Alex Doolan had a much better season for Tassie after being dropped from the Australian team. He is the sort of bat that I wouldn't mind at 5, but I can't justify his selection at all now.

Last edited:

Julian87

State Captain
I can't live with Shaun Marsh. He's just flat out not good enough.

I don't know what the answer is, but it's not Darsh. And despite a decent output with the willow over the past 18 months or so, I am far from sold on Mitch Marsh being up to test cricket as a bat who bowls a bit either. In fact I'm not sure any of the options they'll consider to use in that role over the next 2 years or so are good enough for test match cricket. Henriques has shown glimpses of potential but seems far from durable or consistent. Maxwell is Maxwell and I'm not sure he really helps the cause with Lyon entrenched in the team. Stoinis seems flavour of the month. Faulkner is definitely not good enough to bat in the top 6 in test cricket.

The 'must pick an all rounder' policy will ensure these guys keep playing almost no matter what.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd rather keep Darsh in just so if/when he's dropped, he's done. If he gets dropped now I can just see him getting one more chance. Plus it's not like he'd be replaced with anyone noteworthy. It'd probably be Voges and well....

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Why not Cosgrove? Is he too old or something?
Cosy could benefit from performing well in the one day and big bash tournaments. I get the feeling that he loses momentum/escapes the selectors minds for his poor showing during the televised stuff while continuously having a solid to good Shield season. I wish that it was easier to get shield stats from past seasons. .Overall I wouldn't pick him but he belongs in the conversation for sure.