• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why not? All of you mental health experts need to take a break. He has said he has worked really hard on his health this year and stated that he is ready for Test cricket should the selectors call. That's enough for me to want to see a 'once in a generation batsman' play for Australia
because if a bowler with a history of back injuries needs to put together a season or half of decent performances before being considered ready to step up then so does a bloke with head issues. It's no comfort to a test side if a bloke opts out half way through a game with mental health issues any more than it is with back issues. Play a full season/ X games without dropping out then get a call up ffs.

You're about to play the (albeit far inferior) number two side in the world. You don't get nice vibe points for picking a kid who might throw it in half way through the first test because you get extra kudos from Beyond Blue ffs.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
A quick who had a hammy last year and Pukovski’s mental health issues are apples and oranges though.

WP’s just made 250 FC runs and batted for hours and hours. If a quick had a hamstring injury last season but bowled 30 or 40 overs this shield game and took 12 wickets, you’d consider him for the test, yeh?

Genuine question: what’s he have to do to come into consideration, beside making runs? Three Shield games? A full Shield season?

aussie tragic

International Captain
Pucovski has just been part of the highest batting partnership in Sheffield Shield history. I think that means he's done enough to prove that he's fit to play cricket.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
the whole thing is kinda unprecedented right?

Hard to know the right thing to do here. Is he even the front runner for a vacant spot?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean, who can realistically challenge pucovski if he wants burns spot? Hughes is in **** form, whiteman has been doing well but he's only just come back to opening, and your next best are guys like weatherly or proven failures like Harris and bancroft.

mr_mister

True, but I feel like last season Maddinson was putting up amazing numbers as an opener.

Harris was at the other end of the partnership and he was useless in tests. so i'm really not sure what the selectors will do or take from this

aussie tragic

International Captain
Harris had a few chances missed though. I believe Pucovski didn't give any chances and remained not out so much better cred from this partnership.

Burgey

A quick who had a hammy last year and Pukovski’s mental health issues are apples and oranges though.

WP’s just made 250 FC runs and batted for hours and hours. If a quick had a hamstring injury last season but bowled 30 or 40 overs this shield game and took 12 wickets, you’d consider him for the test, yeh?

Genuine question: what’s he have to do to come into consideration, beside making runs? Three Shield games? A full Shield season?
He needs to play in and score runs in more than one game ffs.

If Patto came back after a season out from a back or whatever and took 7 fer, would you shove him in after one game? Of course not, because until he proves he isn't made of plasticine you don't pick him. it's absolutely plain as the nose on your face

aussie tragic

International Captain
He needs to play in and score runs in more than one game ffs.

If Patto came back after a season out from a back or whatever and took 7 fer, would you shove him in after one game? Of course not, because until he proves he isn't made of plasticine you don't pick him. it's absolutely plain as the nose on your face
Lucky you weren't a selector in Bradmans era as he was deemed medically unfit to join the Army during WW2, so despite his skill, should not have been considered fit enough to play tests after

Burgey

Well that's ****ing stupid seeing as it was five years later, but please carry on

the big bambino

International Captain
See but Puc said he was fine once before but then he wasn't. If Burns is done and Harris' not to be trusted (even though Langer says he's tweaked his technique) then screw Victoria and pick Mad dog as opener.

Burgey

He ruled himself out last summer. Not three years ago. Not five. Last summer. Nothing better than picking a kid after one big double coming back after a spell out because he literally can't contemplate the acid of playing at the highest level and throwing him in against the new rock vs the side ranked two after he's played one knock in that position.

What could possibly go wrong? The batting equivalent of picking Bruce Reid and Patto to open the bowling without a half dozen games under their belt first.

This is genuine ****atardery. You cannot be serious and make that selection. It's a recipe for an absolute shambles

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Imagine if Victoria had the same attitude.

Puckovski would now not average 51.03 in FC cricket, he would not have 2 double tons out of 5 centuries (and a 188), he would not now be part holder of the highest partnership for any wicket in Shield history (and 6th highest ever FC opening partnership in the World).

Give the guy a break.

Last edited:

Burgey

I don't care about Victoria. They're there as a staging post to see who is or is not fit to go to the next level. He needs to do more than excel in one game to justify being picked. FFS it's test cricket. Day three - "Oh, sorry skip, not up for it. Feel a bit dusty. Oh. Yeah, no worries Will. We will sub in...
oh..." and he genuinely cannot play the short ball too. So there's that.

aussie tragic

International Captain
You keep saying he will give up half way through a game. He seems to have a great self awareness of his mental health and has always acted before it got too bad. When has he ever quit mid game like you keep stating?

Burgey

My dude, you want to pick someone after one game back from a long term injury. Whether it's physical or mental, I DGAF. he needs to do more and show he can string games together.

Look, I feel sorry for the kid too. One, he's Victorian and that's a terrible thing to carry. Two, he's had a serious injury that kept him out for a long time. You don't throw someone in who's just come back form being busted unless they're an established test level star. And he isn't ffs.

mr_mister

Lucky you weren't a selector in Bradmans era as he was deemed medically unfit to join the Army during WW2, so despite his skill, should not have been considered fit enough to play tests after
Difference is also Bradman had a lot of cred in the bank at test level. Puc has yet to prove it internationally so the value in gambling on him is a bit less