• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Introduce Carey at #7 and Pucovski at #5 over the next 18 months and that looks like a formidable batting lineup moving forward, especially if Green establishes himself as a test level top 6 batsman and begins bowling.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Would rather someone like inglis be our next keeper over carey, not a big fan of his glovework, and his fc batting isn't good enough to make up for it.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Introduce Carey at #7 and Pucovski at #5 over the next 18 months and that looks like a formidable batting lineup moving forward, especially if Green establishes himself as a test level top 6 batsman and begins bowling.
Seen pretty much nothing to suggest Pucovski is remotely ready imo

the big bambino

International Captain
Basically put a line through Pucovski and I don't know what will ever erase it. This isn't a criticism of his mental state just an acknowledgement it will keep him out of tests and haven't a clue as to what measure anyone can use to assess his readiness for that level irrespective of his form. He'll always be a risk, I suppose, even if those responsible say his health is good for selection.

the big bambino

International Captain
He gets picked I suppose, if the selectors think his form is good and there's an opening in the team, but it'd still be a risk.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Basically put a line through Pucovski and I don't know what will ever erase it. This isn't a criticism of his mental state just an acknowledgement it will keep him out of tests and haven't a clue as to what measure anyone can use to assess his readiness for that level irrespective of his form. He'll always be a risk, I suppose, even if those responsible say his health is good for selection.
It's very unfortunate, but sadly I agree

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It's very unfortunate, but sadly I agree
I dunno any of the details of Pukovski's illness, but I'd be very reluctant to say I was putting a line thru his potential to have a test career.

He's only 22 years old and an immense talent. I guess what could erase the line you see is if he is ok to play first class cricket over 1-2 seasons and starts churning out runs in that format. If that happens, then why not pick him in tests?

Obviously his wellbeing is paramount (etc etc all that stuff you gotta say) but the kid has at least a decade ahead of him to stake his place, providing he's able to. I wish him all the best and hope he makes it cos he's a bloody exciting prospect.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I dunno any of the details of Pukovski's illness, but I'd be very reluctant to say I was putting a line thru his potential to have a test career.

He's only 22 years old and an immense talent. I guess what could erase the line you see is if he is ok to play first class cricket over 1-2 seasons and starts churning out runs in that format. If that happens, then why not pick him in tests?

Obviously his wellbeing is paramount (etc etc all that stuff you gotta say) but the kid has at least a decade ahead of him to stake his place, providing he's able to. I wish him all the best and hope he makes it cos he's a bloody exciting prospect.
Yeah that's absolutely fair enough. Hope I am not sounding too harsh on Will Pucovski, the talent is clearly there but I definitely believe he needs to be managed cautiously and not promoted on the back of a couple of big scores alone.

Let's face it, Australia's record at managing young talent of recent years isn't brilliant

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that's absolutely fair enough. Hope I am not sounding too harsh on Will Pucovski, the talent is clearly there but I definitely believe he needs to be managed cautiously and not promoted on the back of a couple of big scores alone.

Let's face it, Australia's record at managing young talent of recent years isn't brilliant
Yeah we've ruined a fair few young players, we also got Cummins to where he is now, gotta take the good with the bad.