• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Squad

Molehill

International Captain
Ehh. Head and marsh's job is to go out their and wack it, that's what they've been doing for ages. If it doesn't come off once in a while IDGAF. If they start failing consistently i'de be worried. Warner's shot is a bit concerning, but he also hasn't played a LOI game since the IPL, not gonna read into his stuff until we've seen him have a few hits. Carey and abbott coped very good balls (could have been a bit more solid in defense given the match situation, tbf). Inglis is a backup and stoinis is useless in ODI's and has been for 5+ years. A quick 20-30 odd at 7 is an above par effort from him at the moment.
But isn't this the point of some potential World Cup pitches (especially at the end of the tournaments). That doesn't work. This pitch was actually a really good comparison to what we often see then. Aus got away with it here largely because someone played with a bit of common sense and the SA bowlers forgot to just bowl it straight and wait for the wicket to do something dodgy. But you'd hope come WC time that these 2 would bat slightly more sensibly in the circumstances.

PS Warner looks done for me. He might get some minnow bashing runs, but the decent seamers all seem to have his number now.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
But isn't this the point of some potential World Cup pitches (especially at the end of the tournaments). That doesn't work. This pitch was actually a really good comparison to what we often see then. Aus got away with it here largely because someone played with a bit of common sense and the SA bowlers forgot to just bowl it straight and wait for the wicket to do something dodgy. But you'd hope come WC time that these 2 would bat slightly more sensibly in the circumstances.

PS Warner looks done for me. He might get some minnow bashing runs, but the decent seamers all seem to have his number now.
Yeah your right about Warner. I worry about him in Indian conditions. He struggled for timing on the slower decks in the ipl earlier in the year and he's started to get out playing on while trying to square cut/drive to wide balls on slower decks way too much for my liking.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
for the sake of simplicity, Marnus in for Stoinis still the go for me. Then if Head is out, work out whether to bring in a proper batter or re-pick Stonis/David. Presumably MMarsh is replacing Head as opener so I guess if it was a batter, you'd be looking at Ashton Turner or something?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
for the sake of simplicity, Marnus in for Stoinis still the go for me. Then if Head is out, work out whether to bring in a proper batter or re-pick Stonis/David. Presumably MMarsh is replacing Head as opener so I guess if it was a batter, you'd be looking at Ashton Turner or something?
Matt short could be a smokey if they want a head like-for-like. Fast scoring opening bat who bowls some handy off-spin and just got added to the squad for the india ODI's ahead of the world cup.

Spikey

I think with MMarsh plus Green and even Marnus, there's plenty of replacement openers in the squad. Don't really see the need, but I suppose it could be David vs Short to come in

Obviously they'll keep Stoinis so it's a moot point

number11

State 12th Man
What makes you say that? This isn't the Waugh/Ponting era Oz juggernaut that was used to always winning.
Agreed this is not a team of that stature, but it is still a very good side and tournaments come down to mental fortitude at the business end. Australia have always had great heart and tenacity, and that carries the day more often than not. I pick England to win but should the 2 sides face off, I would not *bet* against the Aussies.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Warner, Marsh, Smith, Marnus, Maxwell, Carey, Green Starc, Cummins, Haze, Zampa should be the first xi in the squad. Leaving a choice of two out of Short/Inglis/Stoin and one of Abbott/Ellis and Agar/Tanveer.

Head's injury unfortunately boosts Stoin's chances though I'd leave him out along with Ellis and Tanveer. Kind of like Short as a stop gap Travis though I'd be surprised if he got much game time even if he made the squad.

Burgey

Yeah if Head is ruled out altogether then I’d like to see Short open, Marsh to three and Marnus out of the starting XI. Gee it’s a pretty old and average fielding side

CartyDurham

International Vice-Captain
Will be interesting to see Green as he was a bag of nerves in the Ashes

found out a bit in that series but I’m very interested to see his performances in India

I hope he is better