• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian squad for ICC Champions trophy

pup11

International Coach
Australia squad: Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Nathan Bracken, Callum Ferguson, Brad Haddin (wk) Nathan Hauritz, Ben Hilfenhaus, James Hopes, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Peter Siddle, Adam Voges, Shane Watson, Cameron White.

Not a very surrpising squad this, but don't know what blokes like Voges and White have done to be selected ahead of North and Dussey, I think both of them would have been much better choices than White and Voges, North in particular with his offies would have been good addition to the side.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Australia squad: Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Nathan Bracken, Callum Ferguson, Brad Haddin (wk) Nathan Hauritz, Ben Hilfenhaus, James Hopes, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Peter Siddle, Adam Voges, Shane Watson, Cameron White.

Not a very surrpising squad this, but don't know what blokes like Voges and White have done to be selected ahead of North and Dussey, I think both of them would have been much better choices than White and Voges, North in particular with his offies would have been good addition to the side.
I dont mind White, but Voges - the little i've seen of him i dont see what role he would exactly play in the ODI side.

Now the Symo aint around D Hussey is the best finisher AUS have, in his previous ODI recently given the circumstances he came into the side, he never got the chance to play a set role.

pup11

International Coach
I dont mind White, but Voges - the little i've seen of him i dont see what role he would exactly play in the ODI side.

Now the Symo aint around D Hussey is the best finisher AUS have, in his previous ODI recently given the circumstances he came into the side, he never got the chance to play a set role.
White has already had a lot of chances, and after 30 odd ODI's he still doesn't have a 50 to his credit, so obviously he has failed to seize his opportunties, that's why I think Dussey or North should have been picked instead of him.

As for Voges, he is decent OD player but a bit too inconsistent AFAIC, on top of that in the last season he hardly did anything to deserve a chance ahead of some other deserving batsmen.

inbox24

International Debutant
I'm so glad that we have a world class allrounder in James Hopes in there.

Seriously sack the selectors already.

pup11

International Coach
Brad Haddin is out of the CT as well, and it goes without saying that its going to prove to be a big blow, he has quite comfortably been one of our better batsmen in the last 12 months, so he would definitely be missed, but then again it gives Paine a chance to play 10 ODI's (min) in a row, and that's provides a great chance to an understudy like him to leave his mark.

inbox24

International Debutant
Still think there's no value in playing James Hopes at number 8 or whatever. He adds no value there (unless there is a massive collapse in which case he adds only miminal and definitely no match changing innings). If we must play him then opening is the best slot for him. There are no other established players to open with Watson (although Jaques and Hughes should be there but won't). Hopes is definitely not a massive hitter but once he gets going can still play run a ball innings which will be 'tonic' to (hopefully, especially recently) quickish innings. Paine looks ok, but probably needs to add aggressive shots if he wants in in the future, whether batting 1 or 7.

Jakester1288

International Regular
How does useless Cameron White make the squad time after time after time, only to fail and be selected again?
Actually, not just after todays knock, I think he has a role in our team, as apparently he is working hard on his bowling. If he can provide 5 overs, and 5 from the other part timers, through the middle overs, it would eliminate the need for 5 frontline bowlers, extending the batting, allowing us to to more aggressive and lose more wickets and have a better standard of batsmen coming in.

Anyway, if we get to the semi finals in this, it will be a miracle.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With Lee/Ponting in good knick, reckon we're a good shot at making the final at least imo, despite the other obvious weaknesses in the squad.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With Lee/Ponting in good knick, reckon we're a good shot at making the final at least imo, despite the other obvious weaknesses in the squad.
Dunno. Reckon we're cod-ordinary atm tbh. Can see us going out before then.

pup11

International Coach
Given the way we are playing spin recently, the chances aren't looking too good against Pakistan and India.
Though if all the blokes play to their potential, then we might make it to the semi's, from thereon its gonna be a bit of a lottery.
Our chances also depend on how long we take to dump Clarke from the side.

pup11

International Coach
Bracken is out of the tournament, and that obviously is a big blow for us, as its almost like losing two bowlers in one go, hopefully Siddle would step up here.