• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian squad announced

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah unlike ODIs, Hopes is rubbish in the format. Offers nothing with bat or ball.
Are there actually any decent T20 all-rounders in Australia though, Watson aside? Hopes doesn't have a good record, Symonds' bowling has been terrible in T20, Clarke's bowling too and his batting doesn't look too great, Johnson's batting is completely untested in the format. You really need a couple of all-rounders in the team. Who is the Aussie version of Mascarenhas or Napier?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Is Watson expected to be back bowling by the start of the tournament? May prove the key to keeping Hopes out of the side. I really dislike the idea of proven T20 failures playing in a world cup.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Watson expected to be back bowling by the start of the tournament? May prove the key to keeping Hopes out of the side. I really dislike the idea of proven T20 failures playing in a world cup.
Watson is going to bowl in the T20 on Thursday, and then in the IPL. So I guess it's all down to how he holds up whether he makes it.

pasag

RTDAS
Are there actually any decent T20 all-rounders in Australia though, Watson aside? Hopes doesn't have a good record, Symonds' bowling has been terrible in T20, Clarke's bowling too and his batting doesn't look too great, Johnson's batting is completely untested in the format. You really need a couple of all-rounders in the team. Who is the Aussie version of Mascarenhas or Napier?
Hodge has been in good form with the ball of late, could share four overs between him and Dave Hussey and hope for the best.

pasag

RTDAS
Watson is going to bowl in the T20 on Thursday, and then in the IPL. So I guess it's all down to how he holds up whether he makes it.
He shouldn't risk it, tbh. He's one of our best Twenty20 bats, not worth him going down for a couple of overs.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
He shouldn't risk it, tbh. He's one of our best Twenty20 bats, not worth him going down for a couple of overs.
Well that's the ongoing question with Watson, but he's going to risk it. I think he should, if he's batting and bowling and on form he could storm the tournament for the Aussies. If he's just batting, he's just one of any number of good T20 batsmen.

Noble One

David Hussey is actually one of Australia's most successful domestic T20 bowlers.

True all-rounders are rare. McDonald has a useful record in the format. Dan Christian can hit the ball, and take wickets but at a very expensive rate. Cameron White we all know what he is capable of with the bat, and does take wickets but usually at an economy rate close to 10. Chris Simpson is useful with his off-breaks, struggles with the bat but is capable. Moses Henriques has shown glimpses, but ultimately struggled with both bat and ball. Steve Smith is developing, no where near international contention. Dom Thornely is useful, but not international worthy. O'Brien does well with the ball, doesn't do enough with the bat.

No pure all-rounders are really pressing for international selection. You can understand why the selectors have gone for Hopes. I just figure his overs are only going to be as expensive as four bowled from Clarke, Hussey or Hodge.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like that squad, Hodge was never going to get picked as much as people want to go on about it. If they team/squad plays to their potential then theres no reason we cant win it or be in a position to win it with a bit of luck.

inbox24

International Debutant
Hope Nannes rips our batsmen apart if we play the Dutch, so a gaff not to pick him in the squad at least. And what's with the Hodge non selection? Another country should poach him and use him to kill our bowlers.

Truly I say to you, this current bunch of selectors have ruined and shortened many careers.

Also no Ferguson, but Hopes is in. Good job guys you've really outshone yourselves again.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, Ferguson is pretty unlucky. Hilditch said that was the most difficult decision of the squad, to leave him out.

pasag

RTDAS
This says it all for me really:

Andrew Hilditch, Australia's chairman of selectors, said the availability and fitness of seasoned international fast bowlers had left no room for Nannes. "He has obviously had some success at domestic level, and mounted a strong case for consideration in the original 30-man squad," Hilditch told Cricinfo. "But I think you have to compare apples with apples, and while his performances have been good at domestic level, we are fortunate enough at this time to have some very good international bowlers available, as we had hoped.

"We feel we have the right flexibility in our squad with the players we have. I have not really thought too much about (Nannes' move to Holland), to be honest."
Basically the international players from other formats are the only ones even considored and domestic form in the format is pretty much overlooked.

inbox24

International Debutant
Probably time for Hilditch to move on from cricket. He's failed as a batsman and now is failing as a selector.

Noble One

Probably time for Hilditch to move on from cricket. He's failed as a batsman and now is failing as a selector.
Not sure if the blame is on Hilditch. He is not some big dictator running the selection policies and decisions all himself.

Some may not like the side selected, but in the end it contains little suprises and is consistant. The big names have been backed to perform, and it is hardly time to lay any blame on the head selector when Australia could easily go on to win this World Cup.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Talk back radio went absolutely nuts today. Was amusing.

There is no justification for Hodge not going at all. If you're going to bring age, Brett Lee is old now, and not even proven to be fit.

Noble One

Talk back radio went absolutely nuts today. Was amusing.

There is no justification for Hodge not going at all. If you're going to bring age, Brett Lee is old now, and not even proven to be fit.
Try reading the comments section behind the online Herald Sun article regarding the side selected. Some rather passionate Brad Hodge support, cringe factor is high.

morgieb

Symonds is probably the best T20 cricketer in the world, so there's no way he's being dropped for any cricketing reasons. They'd be quite within their rights to leave him out anyway though.
Cricketing reasons being the fine print....
Reckon he's got to the stage that even if he has one drink, he probably get dropped forever.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
I definitely think Tait should be in the 20-20 team.

While long spells in the test game don't suit his bowling, the limited overs game is ideal.

I can't get over seeing the fear of God in the eyes of the South African batsmen's eyes when Tait was running in bowling 93-97mph with accuracy.

Burgey

This says it all for me really:

Basically the international players from other formats are the only ones even considored and domestic form in the format is pretty much overlooked.
Timing is everything - if this T20 WC was played at a time where Australia wasn't following it up with a big test series, for which a number of bowlers need to show their fitness, then the side may well be different.

Not saying it's right, but it may be a factor in the selection of a guy like Lee.