• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season

Who will win the Pura Cup?

• Queensland Bulls

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Speedblitz Blues

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Victorian Bushrangers

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Tasmanian Tigers

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • South Australian Redbacks

• Western Wariors

• Total voters

Eclipse

International Debutant
Top_Cat said:
My heart says SA but my head says NSW. However, SA will be more competitive this year. Look for a big year from the bowlers Paul Rofe and Shaun Tait, particularly Tait.
Yes Tait look's really good quite fast and plenty of late swing.

Craig

World Traveller
Then he could be a very good bowler. How good is his accuracy?

I loathe to use the word 'will' as there is no way of predicting the future.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
Then he could be a very good bowler. How good is his accuracy?

I loathe to use the word 'will' as there is no way of predicting the future.

He had a problem controlling his swing in the One Day game's because he was getting so much but that's not a bad problem to have.

He is still fairly raw but he look's to have a good enough action to put the ball in the right spot.

Andre

International Regular
Mister Wright said:
Qld - they haven't signed anyone from other states, but have signed a few more rookies. Scott Muller has retired again and Dale has moved to Victoria but not for cricket, but for work. Maher is captain.
Interesting you mention Queensland. In my daily internet rummaging, I found a certain Shane Jurgensen had bobbed p back in Queensland.

For thos of you who don't know who he is, he holds the record for the best match bowling figures in a Pura Cup / Sheffield Shield final, playing for Tasmania in 2001/02.

Craig

World Traveller
Eclipse said:
He had a problem controlling his swing in the One Day game's because he was getting so much but that's not a bad problem to have.

He is still fairly raw but he look's to have a good enough action to put the ball in the right spot.
If he stays fit then in the next few seasons he might just come in as McGrath probbaly only has a few years left in him.

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I honestly think that the Blues have the goods to defend their title... our batting lineup is very strong (Mark Waugh, Bevan when the one dayers aren't on, Steve Waugh when the tests aren't on, Michael Clarke, Simon Katich, etc.), and our bowling stocks now show that they are deeper than McGrath and Lee, and can consistently bowl out teams, on any type of deck. Nicholson will only strengthen our attack - he may very well be our opening bowler.

If we don't win it, we'll come bloody close.

And I think we will once again be one of the top teams in the ING Cup. Always do well in it.

Ooh, I can smell it... only a couple of weeks away.

:D

Craig

World Traveller
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Mark Edward Waugh is captain of NSW this season?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
im not sure, i think it is: Mark is skipper of Canterbury bankstown, their grade club, Steve is captain of NSW, Katich is vice captain of NSW, but im not sure.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I bet you ausssies cannot wait for it to start, my Money is on NSW with Waugh Brothers, Bevan, Slater and katich together with Clarke is a good batting line up also the bowlers are good like McGill and Brett lee also watch out for Doug Bollinger he will take wickets this year?

Nicholson is a good signing

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Queensland will beat South Australia in the final i think. South Australia will surprise a lot of people this season and sneak into the final in front of NSW. Qld always do well (Last 8 years) and this season should be no different with Martin Love and Jimmy Maher smashing runs left right and centre. Qld also have the best bowling attack and good depth, they will be very hard to beat.

Simon

Just one more thing to add.
Tasmania have signed former ACT wicketkeeper/batsman David Dawson for this season. In last seasons 2nd x1 competition he finished as leading run scorer with an average of 50.18. He should get a game or 2 this season i think, even just as a batsman if Clingleffer is in good form.

Eclipse

International Debutant
One of the states should really try to sign Nathan Pillon he hardly gets a game for NSW because of Haddin but boy he is a good young wicket keeper batsman.

He absolutly dominated for his grade team last year I think he was the first guy two pass 1000 runs for the season and in not many games at all.

I also sore a score card were he hit a double ton in a one day game with 11 sixes !! so he is a handy player.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
But how big or small was the ground and the quality of the bowling?
Very Valid points - even Neil or I could score quick double centuries on small grounds against kids!

Top_Cat

Very Valid points - even Neil or I could score quick double centuries on small grounds against kids!
NSW grade cricket is notoriously tough (take it from someone who played a season there!). Nth Sydney Oval is small for state level but is one of the bigger grade ground but Bankstown Oval is quite small. If he didn't hit his double ton on either of those grounds, well he did it on a postage-stamp.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting you mention Queensland. In my daily internet rummaging, I found a certain Shane Jurgensen had bobbed p back in Queensland.
He may be back playing in Qld, but he is not in the Qld squad.

Simon

Pillon is a very good player, many of the people in the nsw camp believe hes a better keeper than Haddin, but there had always been doubts on his batting. But last season he proved them wrong in grade. NSW also arent prepared to lose Haddin for a guy who is yet to prove himself.
Personally i think Pillon should move to Queensland and wait in the wings until Wade Seccombe retires. Thats his best chance at making the big time.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Yeah I would like to see him make the move because there is no way he will get many game's while Haddin is playing even if he is potentialy better than him.