• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian domestic season 2021/22

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is there any reason why they can't throw some water on a few of these decks? It's not like there's a massive gate on day four ffs.
If you can grow grass on the outfield, you can grow it on the pitch. Too few groundsmen understand this, or they do but make disingenuous excuses all the same.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Assumed your initial comment was about there pre-test callup form and not the previous shield season. My b if that wasn't what you where saying.
My only point is that we should keep in mind the direly flat pitches in play before leaping to conclusions about how great all Australia's young batting talent is

morgieb

I do agree with the point about recent Aussie decks being largely dead (and I'm certainly not picking Whiteman unless we're desperate) - so I'm certainly not guaranteeing that Ward and Street will be guns, but I still don't think that explains Pucovski averaging 50+ for example. Bancroft scored runs on dead wickets last year but had been pretty **** before that. Harris admittedly has had a pretty strong Shield record but as I said, mentally he doesn't seem capable for Test cricket.

Gabba has usually been pretty lively too?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I do agree with the point about recent Aussie decks being largely dead (and I'm certainly not picking Whiteman unless we're desperate) - so I'm certainly not guaranteeing that Ward and Street will be guns, but I still don't think that explains Pucovski averaging 50+ for example. Bancroft scored runs on dead wickets last year but had been pretty **** before that. Harris admittedly has had a pretty strong Shield record but as I said, mentally he doesn't seem capable for Test cricket.

Gabba has usually been pretty lively too?
Gabba has always been lively, just less cricket there last season due to covid and the Qld government.

TheJediBrah

Any thoughts on why Tas didnt want to make game of it ?
Didn't want to risk losing I guess. There was nothing in it for them to declare. If they set something gettable Queensland might get it, but they were never going to bowl Qld out if they stopped going for it on that wicket.

Still think they should have given it a crack

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Any thoughts on why Tas didnt want to make game of it ?
Why risk it this early in the season? They got more batting points out of the game then queensland did AFAIK and with the quality of queensland's lineup the only 2 likely result's where qld slogging, getting a few down quickly and eaking out a draw, or qld breasing to whatever total they set.

I'm playing devil's advocate here tbf, don't enjoy the way the game panned out from a fan perspective, but can acknowledge why tassy handelled it the way they did.

TheJediBrah

Queensland have every right to be a bit pissed off in general. Would wished they just kept batting. Now they spent nearly the whole game fielding and bowling (ie. doing all the work) with nothing to show for it while Tassie sat back in the rooms relaxing

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Was out at the ground most of the last two days (although admittedly I was probably paying more attention to the grade T20s out the back)

I have to say while the pitch was unboubtedly poor, just simply leaving more grass on would not solve the problem however. The main issue imo at least is more the lack of firmness in the pitch, very difficult to get any bounce and carry indeed, leaving extra grass on would help for a few overs with the new rock sure, but after that it would be just as slow and turgid if not more. Honestly I don't know what the solution is, answers on a postcard?

As for Bryce Street, I am definitely impressed, if there was to be some hypothetical Australia A FC cricket I would be certainly be selecting him for that. Certainly don't agree that opening depth is anything other than poor, if someone like Whiteman is being seriously suggested then we have seroius problems

I honestly don't think the pitch situation was too bad in the couple of seasons before covid dicked everything over, there were some flat decks around but also there were times (especially in TAS and QLD) where the seam bowlers had plenty to work with. It was really only last year where these sort of 18 lane highways became the usual standard

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have to say while the pitch was unboubtedly poor, just simply leaving more grass on would not solve the problem however. The main issue imo at least is more the lack of firmness in the pitch, very difficult to get any bounce and carry indeed, leaving extra grass on would help for a few overs with the new rock sure, but after that it would be just as slow and turgid if not more. Honestly I don't know what the solution is, answers on a postcard?
A thin clay top dressing, water it well before the match, a lot of heavy rolling as it dries, leave a bit of grass and for the love of God don't do a Les Burdett and roll grass clippings into the pitch - doing that was why Adelaide was so ****e for decades. I mean, I don't know that much about preparing pitches, but whatever they're doing, it's wrong.

Last edited:

Burgey

GAS, it must have been a privilege for you to see the great Tim Ward in action live.

Burgey

Unlikely given he made an unbeaten 180 in the Tassie FG final last year to win it for UTas.

Be nice to have him back though. Averaged 43, 70+ and 50+ his last three seasons opening in ones up here. Thank Dog we have Sangha and Edwards in the line up.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I always had vauge hopes of being an Australian Pravin Tambe and plugging away for an eternity and then randomly getting good in 15 years or so, honestly that wasn't ever going to happen